Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

who knows what we gave up, but this move has alot of upside IMO, at least enough to take a shot at it....i dont think hes gonna play everyday, but probably a handful of games a week....if i had to guess masset is involved in this deal somehow

Edited by daa84

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:48 AM)
Edinson Volquez?

I might take Volquez for Floyd and Fields...but he's very unproven, certainly in a pennant race. It's one thing to produce in Cincy (see Kip Wells first two seasons in PITT)...but will he wilt in August and September (see Loiaza 2003)?

I don't like dealing Floyd unless it's for someone even better than Contreras or Garcia (at the time of his acquisition). He and Danks give us a lot of payroll flexibility down the road. We can't have a $50 million plus starting rotation...that was the reason we ditched Garland and Garcia in the first place, I thought.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:50 AM)
I was thinking more like Cordero or Bill Bray

Cordero's contract is hella scary. No reason to pick up Griffey's salary if you're acquiring a setup man (for us anyway) who makes $12M per year over the next 3 years.

The locker room got better.

here is a scenario that no one has mentioned, Cincy moved him to a contender to give him a chance at a WS ring. They took almost nothing, perhaps just enough so he doesn't look like a charity case. A possible DH or bat off the bench.

Perhaps Konerko is getting shut down for the season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:51 AM)
I might take Volquez for Floyd and Fields...but he's very unproven, certainly in a pennant race. It's one thing to produce in Cincy (see Kip Wells first two seasons in PITT)...but will he wilt in August and September (see Loiaza 2003)?

I don't like dealing Floyd unless it's for someone even better than Contreras or Garcia (at the time of his acquisition). He and Danks give us a lot of payroll flexibility down the road. We can't have a $50 million plus starting rotation...that was the reason we ditched Garland and Garcia in the first place, I thought.

Might? Volquez is one of the best young pitchers in the league, you would have to convince them to MAYBE think about our offer.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:53 AM)
The locker room got better.

here is a scenario that no one has mentioned, Cincy moved him to a contender to give him a chance at a WS ring. They took almost nothing, perhaps just enough so he doesn't look like a charity case. A possible DH or bat off the bench.

Perhaps Konerko is getting shut down for the season.

Griff just had a run in with the coaching staff and the radio guys, maybe its a box of balls to Cincy and we pay the salary. He would basically replace D Wise on the bench.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:47 AM)
We all seem to think we are giving up solid prospects, Red's fans best case scenario is Brodway or us taking salary..... There has to be a middle ground there.

True if it's Broadway or a similar player, I won't hate as much. I just think KW tried to make a deal to just ignite something. But I don't really see any impact that Griffey makes that a hot Swisher can't do or even plantooning Wise and Anderson.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:52 AM)
Cordero's contract is hella scary. No reason to pick up Griffey's salary if you're acquiring a setup man (for us anyway) who makes $12M per year over the next 3 years.

Besides Koch (who didn't get it done), we've done okay with bargain basement/low-cost relievers over the last decade.

Takatsu (for awhile)

Foulke

Howry

Hermanson

Jenks

Just proves that shelling out money for a long-term deal is silly, unless it's Nathan or Rivera about 5 years ago. There's too much of a downside...look at MacDougal, or Aardsma (although he didn't cost as much).

The jury is still out on Dotel and Linebrink over the longer term, although they have been good or better than expected this year at least.

I am hoping there is more to this deal than just Griffey... this has to be one of the more confusing deals. Then again without all the details yet its not hard to be confused right now. I am just hoping KW didn't give anything up for him.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:53 AM)
Might? Volquez is one of the best young pitchers in the league, you would have to convince them to MAYBE think about our offer.

Well, Floyd and Danks looked like two of the best pitchers in the AL in the first half...although both lack Volquez's high 90's heater, Floyd doesn't fall short compared to many starters in "pure stuff."

At any rate, it's not going to happen...any more than Lincecum or Cain would be traded by the Giants for that same package.

I would like to see Volquez have consistent success over a 2 year period, that's all I am saying.

again, look at Griffey's july numbers, he's hitting the ball very well this month

Dye: .345/.421/.655, 6 HR, 15 RBI, 9 BB, 17 K

Griffey: .271/.386/.541, 5 HR, 17 RBI, 15 BB, 15 K

if he could sustain those numbers for the rest of the year, this makes our lineup much better. we'd most likely have to limit his games played to 4-5 a week, to ensure his health though

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:54 AM)
Griff just had a run in with the coaching staff and the radio guys, maybe its a box of balls to Cincy and we pay the salary. He would basically replace D Wise on the bench.

Everyone has a run in with Jeff Brantley, he is a tool.

I dont mind this move, I think his production would be equal to or better than what we are getting from Konerko right now

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:01 AM)
Maybe Homer Bailey is coming back as well for one of Coop's reclamation projects. One can only pray.

I just hope Reyes doesn't figure things out in DET.

Look at what Guthrie did for awhile in Baltimore...it would have been really hard on had he put up those same numbers for the Indians.

And I'm still happy that we don't have to deal with Garza over the long-term, even though D. Young still has the chance to be a very good player, too.

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:58 AM)
BA screwed once again. Poor Brian.

I don't think this move should really affect Brian Anderson at all.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:01 AM)
Maybe Homer Bailey is coming back as well for one of Coop's reclamation projects. One can only pray.

I think it's too soon but he's a guy I think the Sox brass have their eye on. He still has value though...wait another year so 75% of baseball fans can throw him under the bus and consider him done for and then the Sox can pick him up. He'll lead the league in arm angle or so.

I really need to see the rest of this...there are a few ways I can think of that this works out, but it's just so damn weird and random.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:04 AM)
Stone on the Score right now says this may be setting up another deal.

fixed...just so soxtalk doesnt go nuts trying to figure out what the bigger trade would be, when in fact there may not even be a bigger trade

Edited by daa84