Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:45 AM)
Trade 5 for 1, then 1 for 2. Could have gotten more. I would have asked for two more pitchers at least. But, will Kotchman develop the kind of power that Konerko's had?

Its not a numbers game. Tex dropped alot of value when he became a rental player. And Kotch's defense is superior and his OBP will be better hence the similar OPS

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:46 AM)
I'm in El Paso, TX and they said on the local sports radio that Griffey has already agreed, but is pending a physical. 2 minor leaguers, one is a PTBNL. FWIW.

PTBNL could be a signal that its someone on the DL. Are any of our minor league prospects on the DL right now? The only ones I know of are Jose Martinez and Donny Lucy.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:46 AM)
I'm in El Paso, TX and they said on the local sports radio that Griffey has already agreed, but is pending a physical. 2 minor leaguers, one is a PTBNL. FWIW.

Interesting. That means both the Fields and Anderson stuff is 99% not true.

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:44 AM)
I can't imagine KW giving up Fields for just Griffey. No way.

I'll f***ing lose it if Fields leaves. I'd just have to assume they're hearing what they want to hear because with Crede unavailable and Uribe the only person available for 3B we wouldn't risk it.

And yeah, what's the damn holdup on information coming out? I hate waiting for everything.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:47 AM)
PTBNL could be a signal that its someone on the DL. Are any of our minor league prospects on the DL right now? The only ones I know of are Jose Martinez and Donny Lucy.

Jeff DaVanon. Nobody significant.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:48 AM)
I'll f***ing lose it if Fields leaves. I'd just have to assume they're hearing what they want to hear because with Crede unavailable and Uribe the only person available for 3B we wouldn't risk it.

And yeah, what's the damn holdup on information coming out? I hate waiting for everything.

Fields isnt going anywhere for Griffey, he is worth 4 KGJr's at this point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:48 AM)
Interesting. That means both the Fields and Anderson stuff is 99% not true.

Why would El Paso have better information then Chicago? Doesn't make sense.

A PTBNL, based on performance makes the most sense. Plus, another low prospect. This doesn't fill a Sox need, Cincy is not going anywhere. They unload the salary and hopefully get Junior in the playoffs before he retires. No one else is really looking to trade for him.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:49 AM)
Jeff DaVanon. Nobody significant.

OK. DaVanon is a 35 year old journeyman outfielder, so he has no trade value. Lucy's knee is wrecked and he's a catcher whose main value is in his defense, so, nothing there either. Jose Martinez may have some value as a low level prospect, though.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:42 AM)
Yeah but trading Swisher at his lowest value for a setup guy then replacing Swish with a 38 year old corner OF makes even less sense.

Swish has been as advertised with everything except for his hitting. It's a slump...Kenny got exactly the kind of player he wanted...he just hoped he was more productive his first year. No way he gives up on him so fast.

I actually like this deal, assuming we give them nothing of consequence. It will give us another lefthanded bat, and put Pauly on the bench. The defense will take a slight hit, but I think the offense will take a step up. It also gives us a potential stud bat off the bench in Paulie, assuming he heats up at some point, as well as a platoon situation when the matchups call for it with Thome.

I like the addition for the stretch run, plus it will generate some fan interest...

We can figure out the rest of it after the season.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
Even if the deal is for a couple of minor leaguers I'm confused to what his role will be on this team.

His role will be to get on base and get hits. The guy can still play (he is not a star) and I am willing to take a chance on him continuing his ascension this season if its a couple of minor leaguers that aren't named Poreda. He can't be worse than what Konerko and Swisher have been producing, can he?

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:52 AM)
Why would El Paso have better information then Chicago? Doesn't make sense.

A PTBNL, based on performance makes the most sense. Plus, another low prospect. This doesn't fill a Sox need, Cincy is not going anywhere. They unload the salary and hopefully get Junior in the playoffs before he retires. No one else is really looking to trade for him.

It could be a Foxsports radio station, because it was one of their guys who broke the story.

Also at least in my eyes, it makes the most sense.