Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:07 AM)
I must say, last night I saw Junior park one and thought "wow, Junior's really heating up..." Who knows? Maybe he hits .280 from here on out, but I still don't get it.

i agree with you steve.....just look at thome...he was slow early in the year, but you knew the guy would hit....ditto griffey....especially since early in the year he may have pressed a bit tryin to get to 600

i like this deal...griffey will give a high walk rate, solid power and looks to be getting stronger this season

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:06 AM)
fixed...just so soxtalk doesnt go nuts trying to figure out what the bigger trade would be, when in fact there may not even be a bigger trade

Any of our starting corner OF would return a top SP.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:44 AM)
Overpaid on Jenks. Check.

Overpaid on Danks and Masset. Check.

Overpaid on Floyd. Check.

Really overpaid on Alexei Ramirez. Check.

Overpaid on Quentin big-time.

Freddy Garcia...yeah, Reed and Morse became perennial All-Stars.

Seriously, besides Chris B. Young (Mike Cameron Jr. in disguise) and Swisher, what talent have we actually given up?

If you really believe Ryan Sweeney will hit 15-20 homers some day, that DeLosSantos will recover like Liriano from surgery, and that Gio's frame will stand up, well maybe that's a loss.

Would anyone trade to re-acquire Chris Young for Quentin straight-up right now.

If you want to go back into the past, you can cite the Todd Ritchie trade as probably the worst...Fogg and Wells had decent careers, and Lowe was serviceable (I think it was Sean Lowe, if memory serves correctly?)

In trades...you never know how prospects will pan out, especially if you don't develop them. Have you actually seen Gio pitch? Have you met him? If you had, you would want him on your team forever. Teams can have success by developing players, look at the Brewers, Braves, or even the Red Sox.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:09 AM)
Stoney thinks maybe Swisher to Oakland for Street? (all speculation on his part, no inside info). I would puke if that happened. Trading 3/5 of your top prospects for a set-up man. UGH.

That would be brutal, I would not be a fan of either trade if thats what eventually ended up happening.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:13 AM)
In trades...you never know how prospects will pan out, especially if you don't develop them. Have you actually seen Gio pitch? Have you met him? If you had, you would want him on your team forever. Teams can have success by developing players, look at the Brewers, Braves, or even the Red Sox.

By almost any yards stick, K-Dub has been one of the top GMs in baseball the past few seasons. I'll take the days in first place and WS yardsticks. To claim he overpaid, you would have to know what the other team was willing to accept in trade. You could always try and underpay, but you could wind up with zero deals done.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:10 AM)
JPN, if KW actually trades for David Weathers, I think I'd owe you a monster apology...LOL

I just used Weathers as an example, but he could be involved in this deal somehow.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:13 AM)

Yes, I have seen Gio pitch....I know, I know, he's the second coming of Barry Zito with a better heater.

Seriously, Matt Guerrier was also the next Greg Maddux, according to Lloyd McClendon. I don't believe any hype unless it's backed up by results at the big league level...there have been too many Joe Borchards and Jason Dellaero's in my lifetime to justify getting excited by a future HOFer who is traded not once but twice by the same GM whose one strength is identifying talent that's struggling or undervalued/underappreciated.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:15 AM)
By almost any yards stick, K-Dub has been one of the top GMs in baseball the past few seasons. I'll take the days in first place and WS yardsticks. To claim he overpaid, you would have to know what the other team was willing to accept in trade. You could always try and underpay, but you could wind up with zero deals done.

I'm a minor league guy, I don't like losing prospects. That's just how I feel. I don't like the fact that the White Sox only see their minor leaguers as trade bait and not as future stars.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:09 AM)
Stoney thinks maybe Swisher to Oakland for Street? (all speculation on his part, no inside info). I would puke if that happened. Trading 3/5 of your top prospects for a set-up man. UGH.

Assuming he really did say that; for a supposed genius he really does come up with a lot of stupid ideas. Swisher for Street makes no sense no matter how you slice it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:16 AM)
Yes, I have seen Gio pitch....I know, I know, he's the second coming of Barry Zito with a better heater.

Seriously, Matt Guerrier was also the next Greg Maddux, according to Lloyd McClendon. I don't believe any hype unless it's backed up by results at the big league level...there have been too many Joe Borchards and Jason Dellaero's in my lifetime to justify getting excited by a future HOFer who is traded not once but twice by the same GM whose one strength is identifying talent that's struggling or undervalued/underappreciated.

Well JPN met him and liked him so that makes him untradeble.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:13 AM)
Trading Dye would be dumb, trading Quentin is out of the question.

It all depends on what you get in return. Quentin for Pojols (not likely) wouldn't be "out of the question" or Dye for Matt Holliday (equally unlikely) would not be "dumb". Every piece is tradable for the right price.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:18 AM)
I'm a minor league guy, I don't like losing prospects. That's just how I feel. I don't like the fact that the White Sox only see their minor leaguers as trade bait and not as future stars.

You would be happier then if BB were GM and we had the best young talent pipeline in the majors because all of the 4-6 year players are inevitably traded before they start making more than $10+ million per season?

I think Minnesota fans would have appreciated for Ryan to have a touch of KW's aggressiveness...that one extra move could have put them over the top one of those four seasons out of five that they were in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:20 AM)
It all depends on what you get in return. Quentin for Pojols (not likely) wouldn't be "out of the question" or Dye for Matt Holliday (equally unlikely) would not be "dumb". Every piece is tradable for the right price.

I wouldn't trade Dye straight up for Matt Holliday.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:08 AM)
There has got to be more going on than just prospect-for-Griffey.

I don't think there is any question about it. I think if Griffey accepts one of Konerko, Dye,Swisher or Thome either has a major physical problem or is going to get traded, and Swisher seems to me to perhaps be the guy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:16 AM)

I certainly see your point, I just think Gio and Aaron Cunningham, maybe even Chris Carter, will come back to haunt the White Sox. Carter's raking by the way. I just hope Quentin maintains his current level of success over the years. Because all three of those guys could crack Oakland's lineup sooner than you think. Especially Gio.