Griffey Poll

Steve9347

What do you think of adding Griffey to the mix?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Happy to have some Junior?

• Loving it, we needed a CF, we got a Hall of Famer.
    • Didn't need him.
    • Like it if he plays RF/1B.
    • Still Confused.
    • I just like Steve.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was tough to decide between Like it for RF/1B or Still confused...I ended up going with RF/1B...

I feel that he could possible bring a lot to the table if he keeps up how he has been playing the last month or so.

Although I am still confused that this was the trade that Kenny came up with at the deadline...I think there was bigger holes that should have been address rather than bringing in an aged CF/DH...

and Steve your sig is freakin awesome...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
In all honesty, I think the team is better today than it was yesterday. I'd prefer to see Junior at 1B with Paulie to the bench, we'll see what Ozzie's got up his sleeve.

I think KGJ is better than Dye in the OF, so I would like Dye to shift to 1B preferably.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
I read online somewhere ( I believe yahoo) that Griffey is 4th in zone rating amongst all Right Fielders this year. Can anyone confirm this?

Then those Reds fans can go f*** themselves if that is true. Maybe the stories of his defense sucking were all super exaggerated?

Is he a good first baseman? Since Paulie has been worse than Swisher, subbing Griffey for him at first instead of putting him in center might make the most sense. Seems strange to have Paulie on the team and never play him, however.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)
In all honesty, I think the team is better today than it was yesterday. I'd prefer to see Junior at 1B with Paulie to the bench, we'll see what Ozzie's got up his sleeve.

I agree with this. I don't see Paulie producing at the plate any time soon and Griffey is not only an upgrade at this point, but also another left-handed bat. And at the very least, the Sox have more options at this point and an insurance policy if another one of their aging vets goes down with an injury.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:22 PM)
I think KGJ is better than Dye in the OF, so I would like Dye to shift to 1B preferably.

Agreed with this as well. Anybody remember how JD did in the one game that he played 1B back in '05?

I love Griffy, but were basically getting another Swisher for the remainder of the year. Can't play defense and a mediocre bat at this time in his career and we had to give up some guys who can turn out to be good ballplayers. It would be nice to have a good bat on the bench to hit lefties... he still isn't the answer. The only way I believe this turns out a decent deal is if one of our sluggers goes down for any amount of time.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
I read online somewhere ( I believe yahoo) that Griffey is 4th in zone rating amongst all Right Fielders this year. Can anyone confirm this?

Here's the link to ESPN's stats. Yes, he is #4 in ZR. Amongst RF's. however, he's also among the league leaders in errors for RF's, and the other number, the RF, he's hanging around in the middle of the pack with Brian Giles and others, slightly above JD.

I wish there were an option like "I like it and I want him to play center."

I'm not loving it, but why would I want him in right? He is probably every bit as good as swish is in center & swish is probably the better 1st baseman.

Edited by Maxwell

You know what's so awesome about this?

In 50 years, when some kid is learning all about baseball and looking at digital cards on the Supernet or whatever the f*** its going to be called then... he'll know Ken Griffey Jr played for the Chicago White Sox.

QUOTE (Maxwell @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
I wish there were an option like "I like it and I want him to play center."

I'm not loving it, but why would I want him in right? He is probably every bit as good as swish is in center so swish is probably the better 1st baseman.

Swish is 27(?) and has not had any previous leg injuries, saying Griffey is just as good as Swisher out there, well that's probably a fallacy, at least in terms of long-term production

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
I love Griffy, but were basically getting another Swisher for the remainder of the year. Can't play defense and a mediocre bat at this time in his career and we had to give up some guys who can turn out to be good ballplayers. It would be nice to have a good bat on the bench to hit lefties... he still isn't the answer. The only way I believe this turns out a decent deal is if one of our sluggers goes down for any amount of time.

I guess the counter-argument I'll make is this. If Konerko can't majorly recover before the end of this year, then right now we're a better team than we were yesterday. Masset wasn't doing anything and hell, with the way Carrasco is pitching, frankly when Liney comes back from the DL we'd be wishing Masset had options left. Getting better for this year cost us $2 million in cash.

Losing Richar stings a little because now our middle infield is weaker next year. But if the team has some confidence in Getz, or spends some money to make another SS/2b happen (Uribe is available next year right?) then that is a manageable loss.

But...if we're smart about the arbitration deal...and Griffey doesn't retire, then either we've added in another bat for next year or we add in 1-2 draft picks in the late first-early 2nd round. I'd be ok with turning Richar and Masset in to 2 draft picks just on the face of it, let alone any upgrade it does bring the team.