The Waiver Wire

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 04:58 PM)
It's basically always leaked. Most teams will try to put anyone out there that they think has a remote shot of getting through just in case a spectacular trade offer comes along. I think we tried to see if Buehrle and Garland could pass through in 05, for example. But it's always leaked, that info is never officially published.

As I understand it, every player gets put through waivers. Basically they put clumps of players out at the sametime to try to "hide" the players they are trying to slip through. That way no one is quite sure what a team is up to. Because you can only claim so many players, it increases your chances of sneaking through the players you want to deal.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
There has GOT to be a 3B floating through the wire somewhere. Sanchez from Pitt is having a down year and can play 3B, Tejada? Someone?

To be 100% honest, I know he's not much at the plate, but after watching the last handful of games with Uribe at 3B, I'll gladly take him. Our problem has not been offense lately, and Uribe does the best to help our pitchers.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
To be 100% honest, I know he's not much at the plate, but after watching the last handful of games with Uribe at 3B, I'll gladly take him. Our problem has not been offense lately, and Uribe does the best to help our pitchers.

Both of those guys I mentioned play good defense. Sanchez actually has good numbers as a lead off hitter as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
Both of those guys I mentioned play good defense. Sanchez actually has good numbers as a lead off hitter as well.

Freddy Sanchez has a lower on base percentage than Juan Uribe. They're both f***ing terrible offensively, but if you are so bad that you are getting on base less than Juan Uribe, you are really bad.

Let's hope this is the last time Sanchez's name is brought up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)
Freddy Sanchez has a lower on base percentage than Juan Uribe. They're both f***ing terrible offensively, but if you are so bad that you are getting on base less than Juan Uribe, you are really bad.

Well Sanchez has had a down year this season but the last two he has been a pretty good avg. hitter and a lot of doubles. Not too mention maybe playing games that matter and a lineup with some pop behind him could always help out. We dont need both Brian Anderson and Dewayne Wise on the team so there is a spot open on the roster for a middle infielder.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 04:32 AM)
Well Sanchez has had a down year this season but the last two he has been a pretty good avg. hitter and a lot of doubles. Not too mention maybe playing games that matter and a lineup with some pop behind him could always help out. We dont need both Brian Anderson and Dewayne Wise on the team so there is a spot open on the roster for a middle infielder.

He was barely a league average player (OPS+ 103, OBP .343) even with a .300+ average last season, and that was a dramatic dropoff from his previous season, and then he does what he's done this season. Add on to it that nobody knows what in the hell he'd do in a situation where the games matter, seeing as how he's played for the Pirates, who have become the Athletics of the 50s and 60s, and it's a drastically tough situation.

If he passes, and if you get him for cheap, it's OK. You acquire him as nothing more than a utility infielder with the potential capability to start...if anything else, he's garbage. I just hate when I see a player's production drop from 05 to 06 to 07 (Konerko, is, if you were wondering, one of the players I'm worried about).

Basically, I want nothing to do with Freddy Sanchez and he can rot in Pittsburgh, so long as he doesn't go to Minnesota.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 09:34 PM)

well you are just looking at this year, which is a down year for him. He has a career .334 OBP which is light years ahead of Uribe with a career .740 OPS. His last three seasons which are when he began playing full time he posted OPS of .736 .851 and .784 which is pretty good for a lead off hitter.

In his career batting 1st he has a line of .310 .348 .428 .776 which is better than we have now.

The Boston Red Sox have placed a waiver claim on San Diego right fielder Brian Giles, and are negotiating to acquire the 14-year veteran from the Padres.

Giles, 37, is hitting .296 with a .391 on-base percentage, 61 walks and 44 strikeouts this season.

Boston's interest in Giles might be spurred by concern about the health of third baseman Mike Lowell, who is battling a sore hip, and designated hitter David Ortiz, who has spent time on the disabled list resting a torn tendon sheath in his left wrist.

Giles is earning $9 million this year, and his contract with the Padres has a club option for $9 million for 2009 that would climb to $11 million in the event he is traded.

Giles has a limited no-trade clause, and Boston is among the teams to which he cannot be traded without his permission.

Link.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 09:29 PM)

Giles has vetoed the deal already

Last night, veteran Al Reyes was DFA'd by the Tampa Bay Rays to make room for Chad Bradford. Reyes is 38 and has a 4.37 ERA (actually a touch better than last year's mark of 4.90). He's had two stints on the DL this year, and has had a 5.14 ERA in 8 games since last being activated. Reyes said he needs to get the ball more than "every four or five days" to stay consistent, but also said he wasn't surprised by the move. He's making 2.3MM this year.

The Rays have 10 days to make a move. I'm on the fence here; on the one hand, Reyes is 38 and has shoulder problems and a terrible ERA for a reliever. On the other, he had 26 saves last year, and with the way that saves are currently valued in baseball, I feel like some team is bound to roll the dice with him.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
Kip Wells was just designed for assignment by the Rockies....FWIW.

He had been pitching in relief for them this year, last time he started was last season (26 of them) with the Cardinals.

and he put up a 5.70 ERA in the NL. He's at 5.27 this year, and his WHIP is in the 1.60s for the past two years combined.

Kip Wells can rot on some team's AAA team because he hasn't been relevant in 5 years.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
Funny.

The Ritchie trade turned into something pretty non-earth shattering.

Wells, Fogg and Lowe all ended up sucking in the end.

When the most you give up are guys that are 5th starters in the NL, you did pretty damn well for a completely terrible deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)
When the most you give up are guys that are 5th starters in the NL, you did pretty damn well for a completely terrible deal.

Yeah.

They all did the Pittsburgh-Colorado-St Louis tour of pitching mediocrity.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
Funny.

The Ritchie trade turned into something pretty non-earth shattering.

Wells, Fogg and Lowe all ended up sucking in the end.

We're judging the whole trade by how the pitchers look now? :huh:

How about the contributions you could have had from those guys, cheap, that the Sox gave away? Replace the utter crap we rolled out every fifth day in 2003 with Kip Wells throwing 200 innings of 133 era+ ball or anything close to that and we win the division. That's enough by itself for that trade to maintain its reputation as the s***tiest piece of s*** s***ted on Sox fans in as long as I can remember.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 07:23 AM)
We're judging the whole trade by how the pitchers look now? :huh:

How about the contributions you could have had from those guys, cheap, that the Sox gave away? Replace the utter crap we rolled out every fifth day in 2003 with Kip Wells throwing 200 innings of 133 era+ ball or anything close to that and we win the division. That's enough by itself for that trade to maintain its reputation as the s***tiest piece of s*** s***ted on Sox fans in as long as I can remember.

I'll go to my grave swearing that Wells was never going to put up those numbers for us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
I'll go to my grave swearing that Wells was never going to put up those numbers for us.

Even if that's true (and I'm not saying it is), he didn't have to be that good. He wasn't a little better than that fifth starter black hole, he was dramatically better. His era+ was 133, our fifth starters put up an era+ somewhere in the mid-70s (Wright, 75; Stewart, 78; Porzio, 72; Cotts, 57). That difference is monstrous, it's like upgrading from a league-average pitcher to Johan in a pretty good year. A good sight less than that, and the Sox still win the division.

And it was such a stupid trade, anyway. Ritchie wasn't much better than Wells in 2001. 2000, again, just an average pitcher. You had to go back 3 seasons to 1999 to find a year where he looked like anything special (and even there, the peripherals weren't great). It was one of the worst trades in the last decade in all of baseball, it cost the Sox a division title, and it deserves to be universally and eternally despised.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 04:58 AM)
http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/christ...n-negotiations/

Story about the Twins' attempted acquisition of Washburn...M's wanted to subsidize the contract and get back Blackburn and/or Bonser

uh, the Twins would have made that deal for Bonser if the M's were paying for his salary. Outside of 2006, when he was OK, he's been an absolutely terrible pitcher and it's gotten worse over the past year. I would say the M's wanted Blackburn if they paid most if not all of Washburn's entire salary or Bonser if they did not, and the Twins didn't need/want Washburn that badly.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
uh, the Twins would have made that deal for Bonser if the M's were paying for his salary. Outside of 2006, when he was OK, he's been an absolutely terrible pitcher and it's gotten worse over the past year. I would say the M's wanted Blackburn if they paid most if not all of Washburn's entire salary or Bonser if they did not, and the Twins didn't need/want Washburn that badly.

Well...yes, of course...I guess I wasn't clear enough. Bonser has become something of a cross between Homer Bailey/Phil Hughes/Gavin Floyd and Kyle Lohse/Matt Garza. For many reasons, the Twins are frustrated with him, but they also realize he provides added depth...and they can see the results in TB with Garza (who had the reputation of something of a headcase and clubhouse problem) and Bartlett. I don't know if I would clearly/obviously pick Blackburn over Slowey or Perkins, they seem pretty interchangeable, with Baker appearing to have the best long-term potential of the young pitchers over there. I guess Blackburn has better stuff than Slowey, but perhaps not as good as Perkins. Teams are always more hesitant to deal young LH pitching.

I still think D. Young might end up being the better player over the long haul, but, once again, pitching/defense trumps offense. It's one of the reasons the Rays are so mysteriously and quietly dominant this year with essentially the same offense as 07.

The most likely scenario was Washburn for Poreda and a boatload of cash. I think after the Vazquez deal, and the fact that we would be giving up our only pitching prospect with a chance to be a 1-3 starter, and a lefthander who throws in the mid 90's and sometimes better...that really wasn't a good option for KW. He took a lot of flak for Young's 2007 season...while Rome was burning in Chicago simultaneously. I can see another Phil Rogers column (after Young's offensive resurgence) if Vazquez fades down the stretch, because we still don't have a good CFer, and because Swisher has been a disappointment.