Twins Love Needs To End

Flash Tizzle

I'd have to agree with Balta's thoughts a few weeks ago where he was still a bit skeptical about this team. I can't help but to think it's 2003 all over again. On paper we are much better than the Twins but they are completely outplaying us. Maybe we can pick up Jamie Burke before the next home series vs Minnesota and call it a year.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 08:19 AM)
our bullpen is terrible on the road, especially in the hump, they have no confidence after they hop on the plane

Well, thankfully we'll be nice and happy to get Linebrink back in a couple of weeks. He's feeling good, reports say. I think shutting him down now was brilliant to avoid his terrible second halves. I look for him to be lights out and for our team to get back on track when he returns.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 07:34 AM)
They've been doing it all year and for some reason people keep saying that they can't keep it up.

I know people look at the numbers to come to that conclusion, but if you watch them on the field, there is a reason they are so good with two outs and/or two strikes. The numbers don't lie for them. People might not like it, but there is a reason the Twins stick around every year.

We most certainly have to play tougher against the twins. Losing two leads of 4-0 this last series is brutal. I listened on XM radio and the Twins announcers and how utterly embarassing to listen to their description of Sox play. At one point they were commenting about our defense and how the sox were having hard time even playing catch with each other. Relief pitchers that can't hold leadsd or shut down the oposing offesne. Our pitchers have been giving up runs at a disturbing pace. They have to step up and perform. Our defense has to be better.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 03:43 AM)
I honestly am looking forward to BJ being gone and Stone in the booth to keep Hawk a little bit more in the real world.

:uhoh

Where are all you "Swish is a godlike defender at first base" people now...please I know Juan's throw took a strong hop but COME ON both of those damn throws were easily catchable...that was garbage....I for one am not going to give him a damn free pass b/c he took Paulie off the field

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 08:11 AM)
:uhoh

Where are all you "Swish is a godlike defender at first base" people now...please I know Juan's throw took a strong hop but COME ON both of those damn throws were easily catchable...that was garbage....I for one am not going to give him a damn free pass b/c he took Paulie off the field

It's probably not the smartest thing to do in the middle of the season but JD seems like the perfect fit for 1B. He has the same long limb build as Derrick Lee. I can picture him being a vacuum at first.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 08:17 AM)
It's probably not the smartest thing to do in the middle of the season but JD seems like the perfect fit for 1B. He has the same long limb build as Derrick Lee. I can picture him being a vacuum at first.

his first step is atrocious IMO, and that's just based off what i've seen in RF, imagine him at a position where reaction time is even more important

I have very little confidence in this team down the stretch. The White Sox have a pretty strong recent history of playing badly (some may call it choking) down the stretch. Hell, they even did it in the year that they won it all. We only have a half-game lead. It's hard not to learn from the past, and the past says we play like garbage in the stretch run. I can't help but feel like

Thewheelsfelloff.jpg

People are probably going to kill me for thinking this way, but I think if the Sox can get through this stretch and maintain/stretch their lead, they are going to be much stronger for it.

Right now everything is out of sorts due to injury, when the team was healthy they were performing much better. And the Sox have been a team of streaks, all year long, good and bad.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
I have very little confidence in this team down the stretch. The White Sox have a pretty strong recent history of playing badly (some may call it choking) down the stretch. Hell, they even did it in the year that they won it all. We only have a half-game lead. It's hard not to learn from the past, and the past says we play like garbage in the stretch run. I can't help but feel like

Thewheelsfelloff.jpg

:lol: Nice picture.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 06:40 AM)
I'd have to agree with Balta's thoughts a few weeks ago where he was still a bit skeptical about this team. I can't help but to think it's 2003 all over again. On paper we are much better than the Twins but they are completely outplaying us.

Didn't we sweep the Twins in a four-game series at home back in June, and take 2/3 against them in May? And aren't we still in first place? The Twins are a good team and all, but they haven't exactly been kicking our ass this season.

This team does have some of the characteristics of the '03 squad, although they seem to have more stones. When they get embarrassed (Cubs series at Wrigley), they respond (Cubs series at the Cell). I have some serious concerns about our 'pen and the back of our rotation, but like what I see otherwise.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 06:43 AM)
Well, thankfully we'll be nice and happy to get Linebrink back in a couple of weeks. He's feeling good, reports say. I think shutting him down now was brilliant to avoid his terrible second halves. I look for him to be lights out and for our team to get back on track when he returns.

I agree. And I don't know what it is, but it seems like about half of the time I watch Dotel pitch, he craps his pants. He has value, but I don't trust him as a setup man.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:09 AM)
Didn't we sweep the Twins in a four-game series at home back in June, and take 2/3 against them in May? And aren't we still in first place? The Twins are a good team and all, but they haven't exactly been kicking our asses this season.

I'm too lazy to look it up but I could have sworn we beat up on them pretty good earlier in the year in '03 and then got spanked in the Twinkie dome. We expected to beat up on them late in the season at home and got our asses handed to us. That was the Jamie Burke play that triggered the Twins to destroy us.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 07:13 AM)
I'm too lazy to look it up but I could have sworn we beat up on them pretty good earlier in the year in '03 and then got spanked in the Twinkie dome. We expected to beat up on them late in the season at home and got our asses handed to us. That was the Jamie Burke play that triggered the Twins to destroy us.

I'm not saying that we play well in the Humpty Dumpty Dome. That said, the Twins don't play particularly well outside of there, either.

The '03 Sox fell apart down the stretch. And while I give credit to the Twins for playing better, the Sox shoulder the blame for losing to a less talented team.