Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
I liked your entire bost BTW, but I LOVE this comment.

I had a feeling that would be popular. But seriously, no southern teams ever come north late in the year. Have you ever noticed that the years when USC goes to Notre Dame it is always early in the year, yet in the years ND goes there it is toward the end of the season?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
I had a feeling that would be popular. But seriously, no southern teams ever come north late in the year. Have you ever noticed that the years when USC goes to Notre Dame it is always early in the year, yet in the years ND goes there it is toward the end of the season?

Some of the best stadiums in college football are in the north, especially in the midwest, and yet no bowl games there. I understand that you want it warm for the fans, but its essentially home games for many of the southern and west coast teams.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
Where does Graham Harrell rank among all-time college QBs? Granted, he played in a terrific system, but I would still say top 10 all-time based on three amazing years starting.

I'd say nowhere near the top 10 personally.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ....cfb/index.html

Between 1926-1959 the matchup was each team's final regular-season game (the Irish didn't participat in bowls between 1926-1969, so this was perennially their "bowl" game). After a 16-6 loss in South Bend in 1959, the Trojans complained that the November climes in Michiana fwoze their little toes (the word "cold" actually appears next to the final score in the Trojan media guide's All-Time USC Record section). Ever since, USC has visited South Bend in mid-October in odd-numbered years and the Irish have journeyed to Los Angeles on Thanksgiving weekend in even-numbered years.

Graham was a very solid college QB, and will be drafted in the 3rd-4th round. But, he's not one of the 10 best in college history.

BJ Symons was the best Tech QB in history, and it's not really close. He threw just as well as Harrell, and ran similarly to Chase Daniel. Unfortunately he blew out his ACL during his senior year and ended up playing most of the season with it.

Taylor Potts, Tech's QB the next two years, has the best physical skills of any Tech QB in history. 6'5 225 and a rifle for an arm. Will be interesting to see what he can put up.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 06:40 PM)
I hope they play in ND in late November next year. Either way, I'll be at the game and USC is going to beat the f*** out of the Irish.

How's the weather in southern cal right now? Open your window and let me know when you get a chance.

gO tRoJaNs!

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
Iowa State hires Rice's OC Tom Herman as OC/QB coach.

Outstanding f***ing hire, we have a shot to be even more dangerous on offense.

I don't know much about the guy, but that would seem to be a pretty good hire. Anything to jump start that program is needed, and a guy implementing a big time offense could be the thing to do that.

In other coaching news, the TCU OC going to Illinois would also seem to be a very good hire for the Illini. Experienced guy and good motivator. Ran a pretty successful offense too.

Oh, and tomorrow Tennessee should be making official the addition of Rodney Garner to the coaching staff. He was Georgia's D-line coach and Recruiting coordinator. Previously coached at UT around the time we won the National Championship in '98. Anyway, that now makes 5 former recruiting coordinators added to the staff. These guys are all supposed to be very good teachers, but even if they aren't for some reason, at least Tennessee will have some absolutely star-studded recruits coming in the next few years. I mean, a coaching staff of this magnitude has never been assembled before. And Billy Gonzales, the Florida WR coach and Recruiting Coordinator, is strongly rumored to be making a move to Tennessee after the National Championship game. If that's true, UT will be raiding Florida of its best position coach and best recruiter (except maybe Urban Meyer himself). I love it.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
Some of the best stadiums in college football are in the north, especially in the midwest, and yet no bowl games there. I understand that you want it warm for the fans, but its essentially home games for many of the southern and west coast teams.

People aren't going to spend thousand of dollars to travel to a freezing cold site to watch a football game around the holidays. People go where it's warm, and that's pretty much it. Bowl games aren't played in the north for those reasons, not due to some conspiracy to make the Big 10 look bad (I know that's not what you said or implied, I am saying that because some others across the football landscape seem to think that way). The Big 10 isn't getting it's ass kicked in bowl games because they are played in warm climates, they are getting their ass kicked in bowl games because the league is TERRIBLE right now.

The bigger problem here is the fact that high school football is SO much better in the south, sun belt, and on the west coast (aka in the warm weather climates), and thus the players the SEC, Pac 10, and Big 12 (tons of players from Texas all over that league) are getting are better than the Big 10 players the schools up here get from the high schools across the midwest. I don't know why players are so much better (and faster) at those warm weather high schools, but until that problem is fixed, the predominant northern conferences like the Big East, Big 10, and even to a certain and lesser degree the ACC (obviously they have some southern schools as well) will struggle. I just wonder if the year round training you can do in warmer climates has anything to do with the talent disparity.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
People aren't going to spend thousand of dollars to travel to a freezing cold site to watch a football game around the holidays. People go where it's warm, and that's pretty much it. Bowl games aren't played in the north for those reasons, not due to some conspiracy to make the Big 10 look bad (I know that's not what you said or implied, I am saying that because some others across the football landscape seem to think that way). The Big 10 isn't getting it's ass kicked in bowl games because they are played in warm climates, they are getting their ass kicked in bowl games because the league is TERRIBLE right now.

The bigger problem here is the fact that high school football is SO much better in the south, sun belt, and on the west coast (aka in the warm weather climates), and thus the players the SEC, Pac 10, and Big 12 (tons of players from Texas all over that league) are getting are better than the Big 10 players the schools up here get from the high schools across the midwest. I don't know why players are so much better (and faster) at those warm weather high schools, but until that problem is fixed, the predominant northern conferences like the Big East, Big 10, and even to a certain and lesser degree the ACC (obviously they have some southern schools as well) will struggle. I just wonder if the year round training you can do in warmer climates has anything to do with the talent disparity.

The Big Ten outside of OSU the last few seasons hasnt been getting their ass kicked. Some of the best HS talent in the country are going to schools in the Big Ten. And when you are talking about HS football powerhouse states you talk about Fla, Ca, Texas and Ohio (which is in the north). And Penn and NJ are a good football hotbed as well to a lesser extent.

Here is the national football power ranking. You can see where alot of the talent comes from (CA Mostly) but it doesnt look like alot of those teams got the memo that speed only materializes in the south.

http://www.maxpreps.com/national/football/...mp;urpath=,list

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 03:31 AM)
I don't know much about the guy, but that would seem to be a pretty good hire. Anything to jump start that program is needed, and a guy implementing a big time offense could be the thing to do that.

Herman put together a top ten offense nationally at Rice. He's got the toys to play with at ISU this coming year to make for a dangerous offense.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 12:51 PM)
You were joking right?

Nope... If you read around the recruiting circles, everyone is talking about the Tennessee staff being just ridiculous if they add Rodney Garner. Some believe Garner is the best recruiter in the nation, whereas Orgeron and Billy Gonzales are Top 20. And Kiffin himself being Recruiting Coordinator at USC means he's pretty damn good too. But, when I was talking about no staff has been assembled of this magnitude, I meant recruiting-wise. They essentially have 4 or 5 of the Top 25 recruiters in college football. There's not one other team that can say that.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
You were joking right?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6249333/

I think one Iowa coaching stuff under Fry had both Bobby and Mike Stoops, Jim Leavitt (USF), Patterson (Western Illinois), KSU's miracle worker Bill Snyder, along with Kirk Ferentz. Pretty impressive staff.

Then you have some other connections, like Mark Stoops, Bo Pelini (grad assistant), Brett Bielema, Chuch Long, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 03:47 AM)
I am super excited about KU football for next year, it is going to be a great year. We just signed Fred McGriff's kid out of Florida, interesting.

Too bad he's prohibited by NCAA rules from participating in the Tom Emanski Football Video with one of those funny "all-blue" hats without a logo.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 05:40 AM)
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6249333/

I think one Iowa coaching stuff under Fry had both Bobby and Mike Stoops, Jim Leavitt (USF), Patterson (Western Illinois), KSU's miracle worker Bill Snyder, along with Kirk Ferentz. Pretty impressive staff.

Then you have some other connections, like Mark Stoops, Bo Pelini (grad assistant), Brett Bielema, Chuch Long, etc.

He qualified and said "recruiting coordinator rankings" or something like that.

Thats a good one you mentioned. I wasnt even going to stray from my Buckeyes to bring up a staff, any of Hayes coaching staff would sufficed. And actually, my alma mater (Miami) has some impressive ones as well.