Your second place Chicago White Sox

fathom

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
There was nothing wrong with them tossing Carrasco.

Maybe not, but they should've at least given him a warning on that pitch that glanced off of Olivo's bat. Wasn't that the second inside pitch of the at-bat?

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
There's no reason to give up on this team.

I agree there's no reason to give up on the team. But there are plenty of legitimate reasons why this team might not make the playoffs.

Giving up on the team and being of the opinion that the team won't win the division are two completely different things.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
Giving up on the team and being of the opinion that the team won't win the division are two completely different things.

True, but it's awfully difficult to believe that either the Red Sox or Rays (or possibly even the Yankees) won't win the WC. If the Sox don't win the Central, it's unlikely that they'll be in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
I agree there's no reason to give up on the team. But there are plenty of legitimate reasons why this team might not make the playoffs.

It's good to see somebody else understands this.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 05:04 PM)
Yep, those would be the posters who don't seem to comment on the game. Rather, they just comment on posts made by people criticizing the team.

That's the thing. The "negative" posters take their frustration out on the team. The "positive" posters take their frustration out on the "negative" posters. That's how it comes across, at least.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 04:53 PM)
Crede isn't playing again today, and Contreras was clocked at 90 mph in the first inning. I honestly have doubts about all 3 of our guys coming off the DL to help again this year.

I think Contreras will come back and help actually. However, im very un-sure about Linebrink and Crede. I think the Crede absence is the least of our worries, esspecially with the way Uribe has been handling 3B. However, this team isn't the same w/o Linebrink or Contreras. I mean even if Contreras was giving up 4-5 runs in 6 innings, thats much better than we we've been giving up. And Linebrink being out of his 8th inning role has forced Thorton to go in and be the 7th inning stopper and he just isn't capable of that. He is simply a 1-2 out pitcher. Logan-sucks! Wasserman- eh he can be our mop up guy, Carrasco i guess is a decent long reliever, and thats what we have now. Whats the word on the minors... any successful relievers down there? Is it possible Poreda can prematurly pitch this year in the bigs?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
I think Contreras will come back and help actually. However, im very un-sure about Linebrink and Crede. I think the Crede absence is the least of our worries, esspecially with the way Uribe has been handling 3B. However, this team isn't the same w/o Linebrink or Contreras. I mean even if Contreras was giving up 4-5 runs in 6 innings, thats much better than we we've been giving up. And Linebrink being out of his 8th inning role has forced Thorton to go in and be the 7th inning stopper and he just isn't capable of that. He is simply a 1-2 out pitcher. Logan-sucks! Wasserman- eh he can be our mop up guy, Carrasco i guess is a decent long reliever, and thats what we have now. Whats the word on the minors... any successful relievers down there? Is it possible Poreda can prematurly pitch this year in the bigs?

With the way Logan is pitching, the Sox may have no choice but to turn to Poreda

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
Get the f*** over yourself. That is all.

His comment was for my benefit, I think, because I chirped in. Now, if you notice, I did agree with Flash, saying that the team has been bogged down in "sucktitude", as he put it, but of course, that must have been directed at a poster, and not at the team, or something. :lolhitting

I do think some people (not fathom, because he's consistent, at least, in his b****ing) are glad to see today, because it "proves them right", which is sad, pathetic, and just a travesty all at the same time.

The team's in a pennant race, and a lot of us didn't think it would happen this year. I think we're better then we thought we were going to be, but not quite there. But, at least we're in it and gives both the pessimists and the happy people something to talk about.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 01:38 AM)
Not me. I have no idea. But hey, Chicken Little might be appropriate, might not. Time will tell. :lol:

Hell, change the whole name to the August Catch-All thread for the Sox if it makes people feel better. It would be nice to combine the catch-all for Sox with updates on Twins/Tigers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 08:43 PM)
Tony and I get along good I thought..oh well. We disagree a lot, but there seems to be a level of respect. And I think you would probably want to take a step back and erase this also. Thanks for ruining a thread that was started to share legit information.

Legit information? We're in 2nd place. Thanks. I didn't think a real Sox fan would know this. You're the man.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 02:44 AM)
Legit information? We're in 2nd place. Thanks. I didn't think a real Sox fan would know this. You're the man.

Here's an example of the information I wanted in here....information on A. Casilla was in about 5 different threads earlier in the week, and no one seemed to know what spot to put it in. And I know I'm not the first person to express disappointment in the catch-all threads, as information gets easily lost.

We need Crede, Contreras, and Linebrink back. A lineup simular to this would be awesome, but most of all, the bullpen needs to pitch like they were when Joe Morgan said they might be the best bullpen ever. I still say he's the jinx.

Cabrera

Pierzynski

Quinten

Dye

Thome

Griffey

Konerko

Crede

Ramirez

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 02:51 AM)
We need Crede, Contreras, and Linebrink back. A lineup simular to this would be awesome, but most of all, the bullpen needs to pitch like they were when Joe Morgan said they might be the best bullpen ever. I still say he's the jinx.

Cabrera

Pierzynski

Quinten

Dye

Thome

Griffey

Konerko

Crede

Ramirez

Remember how awesome the bullpen was the day before Morgan said that? Matt Thornton looked like Billy Wagner against the Cubs, and Linebrink was amazing.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 07:51 PM)

Cabrera

Pierzynski

Quinten

Dye

Thome

Griffey

Konerko

Crede

Ramirez

Once linebrink went down, all hell broke lose with the other guys. He is that damn important to our pen. As far as when Crede comes back.. Well assuming he even does, there is no way Ozzie hits Griffey and Thome back to back. We are going to most likely see this the most the remainder of the year:

Cabrera

AJ

Quentin

Dye

Thome

Ramirez

Griffey

Swisher

Uribe/Crede

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)

Cabrera

Pierzynski

Quinten

Dye

Thome

Griffey

Konerko

Crede

Ramirez

I'd prefer...

Cabrera

Pierzynski

Quintin

Dye

Thome

Ramirez

Griffey

Crede

Swisher

But who would have thought we could miss Contreras so much. Getting him and Linebrinnk back will help a lot just with the teams mindset.

Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Vasquez, Contreras

7th-Dotel/Thornton

8th-Linebrink

9th-Jenks

Back to the way things were in May and June. Who says we're out of this thing? We just need to get healthy.