8/6 Games

danman31

I wouldn't say that Egbert "continues to struggle", since he'd been pitching quite well over the previous 8 or 9 games. He just had a bad outing.

David Cook, since returning from his brief DL stint, is starting to look like himself again (had been slumping before going down). He's 4-for-9 since returning plus 4 walks. His line today was classic Cook: 1-for-1 plus 3 walks.

I don't know first hand, but I don't think he actually has the stuff. He needs to be more pinpoint with it to get out AAA hitters consistently. If he does, he might be able to develop a career as a back of the rotation guy. I mean if people think Clayton Richard can pitch in the bigs for a sustained career, Egbert isn't far behind.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 01:22 AM)
I don't know first hand, but I don't think he actually has the stuff. He needs to be more pinpoint with it to get out AAA hitters consistently. If he does, he might be able to develop a career as a back of the rotation guy. I mean if people think Clayton Richard can pitch in the bigs for a sustained career, Egbert isn't far behind.

To me 'the stuff' means a fastball over 90mph and a couple of other respectable pitches a guy can get over the plate. He's got that. He's got an average fastball, but both his changeup and slider are above average.

I mean... what's not to like about a guy with a 8-9 K/9, a K/BB that ranges between 3-4/1, and who generates alot of groundballs???

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
To me 'the stuff' means a fastball over 90mph and a couple of other respectable pitches a guy can get over the plate. He's got that. He's got an average fastball, but both his changeup and slider are above average.

I mean... what's not to like about a guy with a 8-9 K/9, a K/BB that ranges between 3-4/1, and who generates alot of groundballs???

If his stuff was that good he wouldn't be having such a tough year.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)

Stuff does not make a good pitcher. There is a lot more to it. Everyone has good talent if they make to the high minors. It's the mental approach and mental toughness which can get guys with good stuff pushed out of baseball.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
Stuff does not make a good pitcher. There is a lot more to it. Everyone has good talent if they make to the high minors. It's the mental approach and mental toughness which can get guys with good stuff pushed out of baseball.

i.e. Mike MacDougal

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)

Those stats hold up. He just had a rough start after coming back from injury.

Assume you write off May due to the injury and recalculate his numbers... 13 starts; 81 2/3 innings; 3.64 ERA; 79 strikeouts; 19 walks

Now look at last year in Birmingham when we was healthy the entire year... 28 starts; 161 2/3 innings; 3.06 ERA; 165 strikeouts; 44 walks.

Projects out very similarly...

In fact his entire minor league body of work looks very similar.

So, I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt for the month after coming back from injury that stands out as an anomoly against all the other stats.

Edited by scenario

I know for a fact that the White Sox organization doesn't think Egbert's stuff is good enough for the majors. It's too bad, as I'd love to have a sinker baller as the long man. I wouldn't be surprised if he's dealt in the offseason as a throw-in.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
I know for a fact that the White Sox organization doesn't think Egbert's stuff is good enough for the majors. It's too bad, as I'd love to have a sinker baller as the long man. I wouldn't be surprised if he's dealt in the offseason as a throw-in.

From what I've heard, its the complete opposite. The stuff I"ve heard is that the higher ups in the org like him a lot (well at least the GM does).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 08:35 PM)
From what I've heard, its the complete opposite. The stuff I"ve heard is that the higher ups in the org like him a lot (well at least the GM does).

I'm going off of what one of KW's assistants was saying in the press box a few weeks back. Is he really 3-10 with a 4.89 ERA? I guess I don't follow win-loss records too much.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
I'm going off of what one of KW's assistants was saying in the press box a few weeks back. Is he really 3-10 with a 4.89 ERA? I guess I don't follow win-loss records too much.

I've gotten the impression the last year or two that there may be a pretty big split between KW and some of his close assistants, and some others in his employ.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 07:47 PM)
I've gotten the impression the last year or two that there may be a pretty big split between KW and some of his close assistants, and some others in his employ.

Do you think it could be that KW still likes his pitchers to be in the 90 mph range mode with good mechanics and control, whereas some of the newer assistants want the "sexier" prospect?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
Do you think it could be that KW still likes his pitchers to be in the 90 mph range mode with good mechanics and control, whereas some of the newer assistants want the "sexier" prospect?

Maybe, I don't know. But in that particular case, I think the argument (tools vs results/reliability) probably goes on in every club. It goes on here too.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)

I know that, but his mental approach was supposed to be what made him good previously. All I'm saying is one of them is wrong. You can't have stuff, makeup, and suck.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
I know that, but his mental approach was supposed to be what made him good previously. All I'm saying is one of them is wrong. You can't have stuff, makeup, and suck.

Well, you forgot one wildcard - injury. Or a slight variation: mechanical or consistency issues.