Richard going back up...

JPN366

Richard may be a decent arm for the bullpen. He can throw strikes, which is half the battle coming in from the bullpen. Richard also has shown he can throw harder in spurts [think his first start when he overthrew to like 94 mph for the 1st inning or so rather than his typical 90 or so]. If he only needs 2 pitches rather than 3, and face batters only 1 time rather than twice or 3 times, he could be more effective.

If this 'Richard in the bullpen experiment' fails, Poreda should be called up immediately.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 02:24 AM)
My guess is that Broadway starts tomorrow, then after the game is optioned back to Charlotte and Richard pitches in that spot next time through the order. With Clayton going up, Charlotte is short a starting pitcher. So I doubt any relievers or Wise will go to Charlotte. Unless somebody is going on the DL.

I hope this isn't an injury to one of our starters that we aren't yet aware of.

Also possible that when they said he was called up, they really meant traded.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 10:27 PM)
He'll pitch tomorrow IMO, and if he pitches well, I can see him and Broadway going to Seattle for Washburn.

Just a thought.

They are both on the 40 man roster and would have to clear waivers for that to happen. In other words, forget about it.

Here's my thought on what is going on...

Richard is getting called up to pitch in case Broadway bombs. Adam Russell is going down to the minors. They don't want to use Carrasco in the long relief role and effectively lose him as if he were starting anyway.

We'll see what really happens.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 06:00 AM)
Richard may be a decent arm for the bullpen. He can throw meatballs, which is typical from the Sox second-half bullpen. Richard also has shown he can throw harder in spurts [think his first start when he overthrew to like 94 mph for the 1st inning or so rather than his typical 90 or so]. If he only needs 2 pitches rather than 3, and face batters only 1 time rather than twice or 3 times, he could be more effective.

Fixed your post. (Although I agree that Richard has more potential as a bullpen arm given his decent early-inning performances. Not sure he is a LOOGY, but he could fill the Masset role adequately).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
Here's my thought on what is going on...

Richard is getting called up to pitch in case Broadway bombs. Adam Russell is going down to the minors. They don't want to use Carrasco in the long relief role and effectively lose him as if he were starting anyway.

We'll see what really happens.

I was thinking they might send down the new acquisition from KC, to get some time in AAA. They may have seen a few flaws when he pitched, and want him to work on some things. Richard becomes the Boone Logan role of the staff, and if Broadway bombs, Richard can start as you said.

Some interesting analyses of Richard's potential.

Amazing what people can learn by watching a guy pitch his first 13 innings at the major league level.

:0

Wow... he didn't throw a no-hitter his first week in the bigs.

Stick a fork in him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 05:26 AM)
A friend heard today that the Sox don't want to start his arb clock this season. I think the only way Richard can get called up is if someone goes on the DL. There were rumblings yesterday that Matt Thornton's back is in terrible shape.

If Matt is going on the DL, which is the first time I heard this story, our lefty relief is in deep doo-doo

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
Some interesting analyses of Richard's potential.

Amazing what people can learn by watching a guy pitch his first 13 innings at the major league level.

:0

Wow... he didn't throw a no-hitter his first week in the bigs.

Stick a fork in him.

I saw enough from Richard to see that he had a presence on the mound. Sure, he faltered when things got tough, but that's youth rearing it's head. I may be wrong, but I think he'll be a decent pitcher with some maturity and experience.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 04:48 AM)
Poreda > Haeger, Broadway, McCullough, Richard and Delray Brooks in one package

Kenny and his subordinates have deemed that Poreda isn't ready. If that's really the case, I'd rather keep him in the minors.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)
I saw enough from Richard to see that he had a presence on the mound. Sure, he faltered when things got tough, but that's youth rearing it's head. I may be wrong, but I think he'll be a decent pitcher with some maturity and experience.

IIRC, Richard feel victim to the big inning in two of his three starts. Outside of those big innings, he was pretty decent. I agree that Richard may have a decent ML career down the road.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
Kenny and his subordinates have deemed that Poreda isn't ready. If that's really the case, I'd rather keep him in the minors.

IIRC, Richard feel victim to the big inning in two of his three starts. Outside of those big innings, he was pretty decent. I agree that Richard may have a decent ML career down the road.

I agree. You don't call up pitchers because they are the most talented in the system (which he seems to be). You call them up when you feel they are ready to pitch in the MLB.

Posters make reference to Poreda being the "Jenks" for this year. Jenks seemed to be ready and could learn under Hermanson because Politte and Cotts were lights out.. I don't know with the bullpen in this shape if he would learn or get burned.

Either way if they don't think he is ready, let him learn in the minors.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
JPN, please don't tell me you are trying to make a case for the Barons post season run being more important than him being called up to the bigs?

why not ? Dewon Day can take care of the duties for the Barons. :) jk. i hate dewon day, i guess he can be an example of a pitcher not ready for the big leagues.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
JPN, please don't tell me you are trying to make a case for the Barons post season run being more important than him being called up to the bigs?

Since the front office and Aaron himself do not feel he's ready, then yes. Not more important, just where he needs to be development wise. Plus, he's not on the 40 man roster anyway. Besides, the Barons playoff run could be over by September 7th.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (KyKyGruber @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
why not ? Dewon Day can take care of the duties for the Barons. :) jk. i hate dewon day, i guess he can be an example of a pitcher not ready for the big leagues.

That's not funny. :unsure:

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Since the front office and Aaron himself do not feel he's ready, then yes. Not more important, just where he needs to be development wise. Plus, he's not on the 40 man roster anyway. Besides, the Barons playoff run could be over by September 7th.

Barons playoffs, who cares?? I for one could care less about the overall success of the minor league teams.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Barons playoffs, who cares?? I for one could care less about the overall success of the minor league teams.

Well, I'll just go burn my playoff tickets then.