AAP: Charlie Leesman

leesman.jpg

Charles J. Leesman

3/10/1987

Lefty Starter from Xavier

6'4, 210

YR/ G/ GS/ W/ L/ ERA/ CG/ SO/ SV/ IP/ H/ HR/ R/ ER/ BB/ K/ H.9/ HR.9/ BB.9/ K.9/ WHIP

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2006 - 7/ 2/ 0/ 1/ 2.38/ 0/ 0/ 1/ 11.1/ 7/ 1/ 3/ 3/ 5/ 9/ 5.56/ 0.79/ 3.97/ 7.15/ 1.06

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007 - 14/ 13/ 4/ 3/ 4.22/ 1/ 1/ 0/ 81.0/ 90/ 0/ 47/ 38/ 31/ 47/ 10.0/ 0/ 3.44/ 5.22/ 1.49

2008 - 13/ 13/ 2/ 6/ 5.32/ 0/ 0/ 0/ 66.0/ 90/ 2/ 48/ 39/ 29/ 48/ 12.27/ 0.27/ 3.95/ 6.55/ 1.80/

Small Scouting Report: "Leesman has a live arm from a high three-quarters slot with a fastball that is a consistent 88-90 mph and peaked at 93 last summer in the Great Lakes League. He may need to throw more strikes with the pitch as he progresses, but scouts say he is effectively wild and has a chance to be a solid big league starter. He complements his fastball with a slurvy slider that he is able to throw more consistently for strikes, and he gets good sinking action on his changeup. He went 2-1, 2.61 for the Cincinnati Steam last summer, with 13 walks and 28 strikeouts in 31 innings. He limited opponents to a .190 average. As a sophomore at Xavier, he went 4-3, 4.22 with only 47 strikeouts in 81 innings. Leesman, a 40th-round draft pick of the Minnesota Twins out of high school, had labrum surgery on his shoulder in September 2005 but never took a red-shirt and shows no lingering effects from the injury"

Edited by Jimmywins1

• 1 year later...

Leesman won't make 2010 team, but isn't far away...

03/15/10 11:27 PM EST

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- When the entire White Sox roster gets introduced at U.S. Cellular Field prior to the 2010 season's first pitch on April 5, it's an extremely safe bet Brent Morel and Charles Leesman won't hear their names announced.

Actually, the first big league Spring Training for both of these players quite possibly could come to an end when the next round of roster moves are announced on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Morel, a talented third baseman, probably will be headed to Double-A Birmingham, while the left-handed-throwing Leesman will be part of the starting rotation with the Barons at Class A Winston-Salem. Neither non-roster invite was given much of a chance to break camp with the team upon arrival in Arizona, but the duo has needed only three weeks to prove their Major League arrival might not be too far away.

"I thought he was a lot further away," said White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper of Leesman. "He's a guy we believe is going to pitch in the big leagues."

A funny thing happened to Leesman, 23, during his time at this fall's Instructional League. His velocity jumped up from 94 mph to 96 mph.

"As of late, I started throwing harder," Leesman said. "I look at myself as a power lefty pitcher with a good breaking ball. I'm working on my change, and now I have a cutter."

Leesman has been "fiddling with the grip" of the cutter and has started to use it in games. Adding that pitch to his repertoire should help the 11th-round pick from the 2008 Draft build on last year's success.

Over 27 games started for Kannapolis, Leesman posted a 13-5 record with a 3.08 ERA. He led the South Atlantic League in wins with his 157 2/3 innings pitched, while producing a 9-1 record with a 2.91 ERA over his final 15 starts. He then received his Spring Training indoctrination by pitching two scoreless innings at HoHoKam Park to finish off a 15-3 shellacking of the Cubs on March 6.

"A little nerve-wracking at first," said a smiling Leesman of the Cubs appearance. "This has been a big learning experience. Obviously, I'm trying to make a name for myself, letting them know what I can do, and doing the best I can to speed up the whole process."

Leesman has been "fiddling with the grip" of the cutter and has started to use it in games. Adding that pitch to his repertoire should help the 11th-round pick from the 2008 Draft build on last year's success.

That stuck out for me. Obviously his velocity has jumped alot since high school from what I knew (and said before here), but adding a cutter to an already impressive slider? If he can harness that, he'll be a hellova prospect to watch in the next couple years (if he isn't already) highlighting our little LHP depth as of right now.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
Morel, a talented third baseman, probably will be headed to Double-A Birmingham, while the left-handed-throwing Leesman will be part of the starting rotation with the Barons at Class A Winston-Salem.

I'm trying to figure that one out.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 08:44 AM)
Leesman looked overpowering at times last night vs KC, but then his location would get away from him.

he didnt impress me last night at all. i sat right behind the plate with the scouts and his location was terrible and he looked lost. hopefully it was just an off night

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)
We'll see. He may have been targeted for W-S before spring training, but minor league rosters aren't set yet.

I'm still pegging him for Winston-Salem.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
he didnt impress me last night at all. i sat right behind the plate with the scouts and his location was terrible and he looked lost. hopefully it was just an off night

I got the same impression. His location was poor.

• 8 months later...
QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
Does he have an outside shot at the Big Leagues in '11 as the LOOGy?

Doubt it, we've already got two dynamite lefties in Sale and Thornton. My guess is they will give him every chance to be a starter before moving him to the pen.

• 1 year later...
Leesman in relief: Left-hander Charlie Leesman is getting a chance to make the 25-man roster as a reliever despite starting throughout his minor league career.

Leesman, 25, said he's grown accustomed to pitching out of the bullpen after being used as a reliever in the Arizona Fall League in 2010 and for Mayaguez in Puerto Rico this winter.

"I'm in a more comfortable state relieving," said Leesman, who started 27 games for Double-A Birmingham in 2011. "Whatever they need, I can fill that position."

Link

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...