Did anyone notic that Mark Gonzalez mentioned

caulfield12

Haeger and Broadway as the candidates for Tuesday's start???

Has anyone seen Charlie pitch recently? We've been hearing Carrasco, Porcello, Broadway and even Egbert's name from time to time this year, but I don't think I've seen many piling on the Haeger bandwagon...does everyone think it will still be Richard? Or will they flip-flop back to Broadway.

I think KW must have been thinking in the back of his head watch Dickey get crushed by the Sox that there's nothing worse than an ineffective knuckleballer...not to mention all the stolen bases surrendered.

Well, if nothing else, these last six weeks will give us something of a "proving ground" with the 5th starter's spot. Going into ST next year, if KW doesn't make a move, we'll have Clayton, Broadway, Haeger, Egbert, Carrasco and probably Horacio Ramirez all in the mix. The question is whether any one of those guys can do better on a consistent basis than what we got out of that role from 2001-2004?

One move that seems obvious is switching Richard and Horacio Ramirez next spring. Seeing Thornton's wear and tear and results when he goes 2-3 innings and sees the order twice, I don't think we'll ever see him in a starting role.

QUOTE (Jim Spencer @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
Haeger is 9-12 with a 4.63 ERA this year. I'd rather see Egbert or Whistler before Haeger.

I forgot to mention Whisler. I guess that's because he's something like the Josh Stewart of the group, although hopefully better. Josh seemed like a nice kid, it was a shame what happened to him with the injuries and lack of confidence that resulted.

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 08:36 PM)
WHY??? whats wrong with broadway or richard

I agree... I was a little bummed when Broadway was sent down b.c he looked good in his start, but then Richard stepped it up big time last time out. I want to see one of them get the ball again - at this point, I'd probably go with Richard.

I'm fine with Richard getting the start. He walks a fine line out there right now because his fastball is far and away his best pitch -- if he doesn't have the movement or velocity and control of it he's toast out there -- but thankfully a fastball isn't that hard to locate compared compared to off speed stuff and I have confidence he can get it done as a decent 5th starter going forward.

It would be silly to bring up Haeger for a start when Broadway and Richard have already been thrown into the fire and responded decently.

How many more times will the 5th starter's spot come up? I can't believe it will be more than 4-5 more times. Give those starts to Richard, that's fine.

One thing interesting is that if Linebrink comes back it really opens of the possibility of Carasco moving to the rotation, as he won't be needed for very many relief appearances with Jenks, Thornton, Liney and Dotel in front him.

In hindsight, the move to keep him in the 'pen for now is looking like a very smart move.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
Including today, we have each of the next three Thursday's off. I'd consider skipping the 5th slot completely for a while.

We can do that 3-4 times down the stretch. But we play Friday through Wednesday, so we have to go to that spot Tuesday.

Keep in mind, we are going to start a reliever for the make-up game's resumption Monday afternoon.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 08:44 PM)
I'm fine with Richard getting the start. He walks a fine line out there right now because his fastball is far and away his best pitch -- if he doesn't have the movement or velocity and control of it he's toast out there -- but thankfully a fastball isn't that hard to locate compared compared to off speed stuff and I have confidence he can get it done as a decent 5th starter going forward.

It would be silly to bring up Haeger for a start when Broadway and Richard have already been thrown into the fire and responded decently.

How many more times will the 5th starter's spot come up? I can't believe it will be more than 4-5 more times. Give those starts to Richard, that's fine.

One thing interesting is that if Linebrink comes back it really opens of the possibility of Carasco moving to the rotation, as he won't be needed for very many relief appearances with Jenks, Thornton, Liney and Dotel in front him.

In hindsight, the move to keep him in the 'pen for now is looking like a very smart move.

I can't imagine we'll see Carrasco in the rotation from here on out. There's not enough time to stretch his arm out now...and we don't want to have to expose our entire bullpen if the game is close (or we're ahead) when he leaves. OTOH, it seems that Richard/Broadway are unlikely to go more than 5-6 innings in most starts also, but at least they theoretically have the ability to do so. I would be hard-pressed to imagine DJ doing that at this point in the season. And yes, the rosters are expanding soon, but I think KW and Ozzie made the right choice and I don't think they'll reverse direction and switch again, especially since we've won the last two turns from the 5th.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)
I can't imagine we'll see Carrasco in the rotation from here on out. There's not enough time to stretch his arm out now...and we don't want to have to expose our entire bullpen if the game is close (or we're ahead) when he leaves. OTOH, it seems that Richard/Broadway are unlikely to go more than 5-6 innings in most starts also, but at least they theoretically have the ability to do so. I would be hard-pressed to imagine DJ doing that at this point in the season. And yes, the rosters are expanding soon, but I think KW and Ozzie made the right choice and I don't think they'll reverse direction and switch again, especially since we've won the last two turns from the 5th.

Good points, I think DJ will stay in the pen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 08:36 PM)
I forgot to mention Whisler. I guess that's because he's something like the Josh Stewart of the group, although hopefully better. Josh seemed like a nice kid, it was a shame what happened to him with the injuries and lack of confidence that resulted.

My son's 1st Sox game ever, Josh pitched. I surprised he's still a Sox fan :lol:

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 01:19 AM)
Haeger and Broadway as the candidates for Tuesday's start???

Has anyone seen Charlie pitch recently? We've been hearing Carrasco, Porcello, Broadway and even Egbert's name from time to time this year, but I don't think I've seen many piling on the Haeger bandwagon...does everyone think it will still be Richard? Or will they flip-flop back to Broadway.

I think KW must have been thinking in the back of his head watch Dickey get crushed by the Sox that there's nothing worse than an ineffective knuckleballer...not to mention all the stolen bases surrendered.

Well, if nothing else, these last six weeks will give us something of a "proving ground" with the 5th starter's spot. Going into ST next year, if KW doesn't make a move, we'll have Clayton, Broadway, Haeger, Egbert, Carrasco and probably Horacio Ramirez all in the mix. The question is whether any one of those guys can do better on a consistent basis than what we got out of that role from 2001-2004?

One move that seems obvious is switching Richard and Horacio Ramirez next spring. Seeing Thornton's wear and tear and results when he goes 2-3 innings and sees the order twice, I don't think we'll ever see him in a starting role.

i'm not sure the tigers are going to give up porcello to a division rival. besides, his agent is boras.

;)

QUOTE (Jim Spencer @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)
I went to 4 games in 2 years were Danny Wright pitched or Josh Stewart pitched. I'm surprised I'm still a Sox fan :lolhitting

Needless to say, the Sox lost all 4 games.

Don't forget Felix Diaz and Mike Porzio. Actually, both of those guys pitched a decent game or two...at least Felix pitched one good game against the Cubs.

Another one of those prospects that was supposed to throw 93-96 and he was more realistically 89-91.

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 12:03 AM)
don't we restart that game in the bottom of the 11th down by 3? odds are we don't even need to have a pitcher pitch in that game.

i don't know if the quote thing works like that here.

The game is tied 3-3 in the top of the 12th.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
Including today, we have each of the next three Thursday's off. I'd consider skipping the 5th slot completely for a while.

How come no one has been talking about Danks IP anymore? I know we haven't seen his performance struggle at all, but at least a month ago half of this board was worried about what to do with Danks to not wear him out or kill his arm.

Contreras went down and it seems like we just aren't talking about it because we don't want to talk about it anymore.

I'd take Haeger over Broadway if we're not considering Richard. Charlie's arguably had the better season of the two down in Charlotte and if I were the GM, he'd fit more into our future plans (though I guess that could create concerns about needlessly using up an option). My only concern about going with Charlie is that he's pitched pretty terribly in August. People seem to like Broadway because he had a successful start this season. Based on the bulk of his work, we shouldn't expect that to continue, unless his stuff somehow translates extremely well to the major league level for some indecipherable reason.

Whisler doesn't excite me. The only thing he does very well is keep the ball in the park. His strikeout rates have always been alarmingly low.

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 11:03 PM)
don't we restart that game in the bottom of the 11th down by 3? odds are we don't even need to have a pitcher pitch in that game.

If you were reading the game thread that day you'd think we were losing by infiniti when in fact we were tied going into the 12th(thanks to a uribe homer!)

QUOTE (Jeremy @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 01:18 AM)
I'd take Haeger over Broadway if we're not considering Richard. Charlie's arguably had the better season of the two down in Charlotte and if I were the GM, he'd fit more into our future plans (though I guess that could create concerns about needlessly using up an option). My only concern about going with Charlie is that he's pitched pretty terribly in August. People seem to like Broadway because he had a successful start this season. Based on the bulk of his work, we shouldn't expect that to continue, unless his stuff somehow translates extremely well to the major league level for some indecipherable reason.

Whisler doesn't excite me. The only thing he does very well is keep the ball in the park. His strikeout rates have always been alarmingly low.

I think Haeger uses an option anyways since hes on the 40 man roster. Also Broadway started off amazing this year and then struggled later. Haeger has been pretty consistently bad all year save for maybe a few week stretch.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 10:50 PM)
How come no one has been talking about Danks IP anymore? I know we haven't seen his performance struggle at all, but at least a month ago half of this board was worried about what to do with Danks to not wear him out or kill his arm.

Contreras went down and it seems like we just aren't talking about it because we don't want to talk about it anymore.

I'm scared absolutely s***less about Danks but if he keeps producing, I'm not going to complain.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 03:59 AM)
I'm scared absolutely s***less about Danks but if he keeps producing, I'm not going to complain.

2008 IP to date is 150.3

2007 IP was 139.0

What was the litmus test on acceptable increases to innings pitched before breaking down your pitchers over the long term?