9/9: White Sox vs Blue Jays, DH G2: 7:11, CSN

fathom

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
I love the Nick Swisher is good arguement... the guy is hitting .226 with 120 strikeouts, but is considered good because he is "patient" (which is BS anyway as he is much too patient at bat, letting good pitches go and K'ing way too many times looking) and walks a fair amount of times.

He's fake funny, though. Can't put a price on fake funny.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this is all that i will say about this silly, silly arguement, but AJ, crede, Cabrera, Uribe have never had an obp of .343 in an entire season let alone had an obp of .343 while hitting 24 HRs, meanwhile swisher is having a down year and those are his #s....

in addition it doesnt appear as if ramirez will ever have an obp north of .330 either, but at least he hits extra base hits and appears as if he can hold a .330 obp (though im skeptical that he will continue to hit .300 in the future)

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
I love the Nick Swisher is good arguement... the guy is hitting .226 with 120 strikeouts, but is considered good because he is "patient" (which is BS anyway as he is much too patient at bat, letting good pitches go and K'ing way too many times looking) and walks a fair amount of times.

not sure anyone said hes good....just that hes far from being the worst hitter among the regulars....let alone the worst in the league

but you know what i love? people who continue to use antiquated stats like batting average in their arguements (i mean honestly, the batting average myth has been debunked for so many years i have no idea why people continue to put so much stock in it....if people are unwilling to accept more sophisticated stats i understand some of that, but i'll never understand why people cant get that looking at batting average without looking at peripheral stats is simply pointless)

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
So it's the MCL? I'm sure they'll take him for an MRI, but even if it's torn, at least it's not the ACL.

Lets hope it's an MCL injury. Worst case scenario with the MCL is surgery, and then 3-4 months recovery time, meaning he would at least be ready around ST.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 02:17 AM)
Lets hope it's an MCL injury. Worst case scenario with the MCL is surgery, and then 3-4 months recovery time, meaning he would at least be ready around ST.

Let's just hope he doesn't go crazy tonight and the Sox have to call the police on him.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)
this is all that i will say about this silly, silly arguement, but AJ, crede, Cabrera, Uribe have never had an obp of .343 in an entire season let alone had an obp of .343 while hitting 24 HRs, meanwhile swisher is having a down year and those are his #s....

in addition it doesnt appear as if ramirez will ever have an obp north of .330 either, but at least he hits extra base hits and appears as if he can hold a .330 obp (though im skeptical that he will continue to hit .300 in the future)

When did OBP become the determining point of how good a hitter is?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)

OBP IS NOT THE SAME AS BATTING AVERAGE.

Walks are really nice, I like hitters who take walks. But it looks like you are saying that Swish is a better hitter just because his OBP is higher. Walks don't drive in runs. Those players are without question better hitters than Swish (other than Uribe) until Swish bats .260. He's just no good right now, .228 with a .600 on base isn't good enough. You have to be able to hit to be good.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 03:21 AM)
I would say scoring 3 runs in 17 innings in the modern era, in one of the easiest parks to hit in would be my inexcusable moment.

This is like every other Sox season over the past 6 years or so. The offense just goes to hell the last month or so of the season.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
OBP IS NOT THE SAME AS BATTING AVERAGE.

He's just no good right now, .228 with a .600 on base isn't good enough. You have to be able to hit to be good.

I know you are just making a point, but I would take a guy who hit .128 if he got on base at a .600 clip.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
its a hell of a lot more telling than batting average.....and frankly this is fact, not even opinion

batting average isn't a determining factor either... but I'd take a guy who hits around .300 with a .320 OBP over the guy batting .230 with an OBP around .340 any day of the year.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
its a hell of a lot more telling than batting average.....and frankly this is fact, not even opinion

No, it's not. It's useful, but only looking at on base tells you nothing. You can look at batting average and know a lot.