Vent Thread

Milkman delivers

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
A 0.39 ERA during their rookie season = boneriffic

yeah he should have won they Cy Young with those dominating 24 innings and all those quality starts!!

Is Joba plural? I guess he could be, but I still don't see how his small sample size of success makes him into a MLB stud coming from a highly regarded prospect. Actually no wait, youre right.. Joba's numbers against the trend are more than enough reason on why we should have called up Poreda. :notworthy

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
which is more important - offense or defense? ozzie's in a tight situation, you start griffey because he brings more offense than anderson. Anderson obviously brings better defense. It's a tough call, imo.

No he doesn't. Griffey does NOTHING better than Anderson. Anderson could hit for a s***ty average, just like Griffey, but with more power.

Oh well, in a week or so all anybody will be talking about is the Cubs anyway. Barring a miracle, we are toast. How we are so many games over .500 is beyond me. We ain't gots a very good team, folks.

The only good thing is Mariotti isn't around to remind us of how bad we are tanking in Minnie every single day. One more day of this then it's back to the Cell one half game out.

Edited by greg775

-So Wise has been playing well in the 2nd spot, and Cabrera has been solid this month in the 1st spot. Why in the hell did Ozzie flip them in the order? If it was to get Wise on and run with OC at the plate, then have Wise run in the 1st inning!

-Griffey cannot hit LHP, it's plain and simple. With a bench full of players due to September call-ups, it's embarrassing that Griffey has been allowed to face LHP in the 8th inning in 2 of our last 4 games.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)
If Wise is your leadoff hitter in a game this big, KW's job should be on the line.

Kenny's all talk. Leadoff guy. Aggressive players. Whatever. The guy's all talk. Even the player he really wanted to trade for, Miguel Cabrera (though a great hitter), fits Kenny's model of immobile power guys. When it comes to offensive guys, he's completely full of it.

Ozzie is a terrible manager, just absolutely terrible.

the offense totally bit it again tonight, JD and Thome have been ridiculously bad.

The Wise thing was cute and they got some big hits out of him, but he's a 30 year old minor leaguer for a reason.

MB showed up tongiht and Linebrink did a good job holding it where it was at.

Well Gavin, you've kicked ass all year, can you give 7 innings and nothing more than 1 run?

That is excatly how sweeps happen, the Sox flat out handed that game to the Twins.

I'm not a huge fan of stolen bases, but to not try with OC with the hack that has become Dye up and Wise in the first is a joke

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 08:54 PM)
Ozzie is a terrible manager, just absolutely terrible.

the offense totally bit it again tonight, JD and Thome have been ridiculously bad.

The Wise thing was cute and they got some big hits out of him, but he's a 30 year old minor leaguer for a reason.

MB showed up tongiht and Linebrink did a good job holding it where it was at.

Well Gavin, you've kicked ass all year, can you give 7 innings and nothing more than 1 run?

That is excatly how sweeps happen, the Sox flat out handed that game to the Twins.

I'm not a huge fan of stolen bases, but to not try with OC with the hack that has become Dye up and Wise in the first is a joke

The lineup isn't that good, really. Konerko's reverted to who he was for most of year, a lousy hitter with no idea what he's doing up there. Thome is what he is at this point -- a .245 hitter, who walks a fair amount, strikes out a fair amount, and hits home runs. That's okay for a 5th or 6th hitter on a contender, but not at cleanup. Dye's in a terrible slump and is showing how much he needed Quentin. That's the heart of the order. I'm sorry, but it's really not very good.

This should give Ozzie and KW a boner....

Willy Taveras is done for the season because of a stress fracture in his right lower leg.

Taveras finishes the year at .251/.308/.296 in 479 at-bats. He's the first player since Marquis Grissom in 1991 to qualify for the batting title and end the year with more steals (68) than runs scored (64). Odds are that he'll be some team's starting center fielder next year, but the Rockies are likely to trade or non-tender him.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 04:05 AM)
Floyd has to win us the game tomorrow. He has to completely dominate the game because, if he doesn't, we lose this division. Our core guys should be absolutely ashamed of themselves (Dye). This is turning into a terrible, terrible end of the season.

Fixed for you, as there's no way this can be considered a terrible season for us.

f*** Carlos Quentin for injuring himself by being a dumbass. Games like tonight might go the other way if we have him.

And Jermaine Dye needs to be benched, he's been useless for several weeks now. Problem is, the replacement options aren't good either.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 10:18 PM)
f*** Carlos Quentin for injuring himself by being a dumbass. Games like tonight might go the other way if we have him.

And Jermaine Dye needs to be benched, he's been useless for several weeks now. Problem is, the replacement options aren't good either.

"I mean, DJ, don't forget . . . about . . . Swish. He'll come in there, and make some funny jokes and keep . . . these guys . . . loose."

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
Fixed for you, as there's no way this can be considered a terrible season for us.

I disagree. We're just getting older and s***tier, and there's no way the other teams in the Central are going to fall apart in another fluke fashion next season.

If we were going to go down to the very last game of the season to lose it, I'd rather have just done terrible the entire year. That way, we'd get a good draft pick and we'd turn to rebuilding (which we should).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)
I disagree. We're just getting older and s***tier, and there's no way the other teams in the Central are going to fall apart in another fluke fashion next season.

If we were going to go down to the very last game of the season to lose it, I'd rather have just done terrible the entire year. That way, we'd get a good draft pick and we'd turn to rebuilding (which we should).

This is a good season for this team for 4 reasons -- Danks, Floyd, Quentin and Ramirez. Two excellent starting pitchers and two dynamic position players, all under the age of 27.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
This is a good season for this team for 4 reasons -- Danks, Floyd, Quentin and Ramirez. Two excellent starting pitchers and two dynamic position players, all under the age of 27.

And everyone else is getting older and worse, or will be out the door next season. We should have rebuilt, but somehow lucked out with the other competitors having fluke bad seasons. We'll go into next year after "re-tooling" with garbage additions, we'll fail to win the division again, and we'll be behind the curve as we should've started the reuilding process years before it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 09:34 PM)

I agree with you on a lot.

When bringing up our 4 guys, do people realize how many guys the Twins have who are good and under 27? It's basically a full roster.

I will disagree about the Central. I'm not too concerned with Detroit and Cleveland. So the Sox can still be competitive in this division next season. However, this division sucks ass. I want the Sox to compete against Boston, New York, Tampa, and the Angels. I think we're long ways away from doing that.

This is a shot at Hawk, and not Ozzie:

If the Sox falter the rest of this week and fail to make the playoffs, I pray to Quentin that I never have to hear Hawk say "you know what Stoney, Ozzie would have won 3 World Series rings by now if not for the injuries to Ordonez/Thomas in 2004 and Quentin/Crede in 2008".

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
I agree with you on a lot.

When bringing up our 4 guys, do people realize how many guys the Twins have who are good and under 27? It's basically a full roster.

I will disagree about the Central. I'm not too concerned with Detroit and Cleveland. So the Sox can still be competitive in this division next season. However, this division sucks ass. I want the Sox to compete against Boston, New York, Tampa, and the Angels. I think we're long ways away from doing that.

I disagree.

We need four main things after this season: a lead-off hitter, a #2 hitter, defense in CF, and a reliable #3/4 starter. If Jerry agrees to add some to the payroll, we have two FA targets in Furcal and Hudson to fill one of those needs, and Roberts and Figgins should both be available for trade. If the Sox can put together any combination of those 4 players (aside from Hudson + Roberts) we fill out our infield and have the first two spots taken care of. Put BA in center because he's already here, and sign a Derek Lowe/Brad Penny type - a veteran who has had success and shouldn't require more than 3 years on a reasonable deal. Then it's all fixed and we've got an entirely different team capable of competing with anyone as long as things go right.

The problem with all this is that the Sox are going to have to make some real decisions for once and decide to dump some of these players they love. I couldn't give a s*** about Nick Swisher and his great attitude right now, and I don't care if they sell low. I have faith in Paulie, but they can sell low on him for all I care. I love Dye, but sell high if you have to. Look to trade Thome if you have to and buy out Griffey. The Sox will have to actually get rid of at least one, probably two, of these players in addition to buying out Griffey. I'm skeptical that they'll do it because they love to run the same one-dimensional teams out there, but should they decide to bite the bullet and sell low on a couple guys in favor of changing the dynamic of the team, it is possible for them to compete with the best teams out there.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

If we don't make the playoffs, KW patiently waits til winter and that's when guys like Paulie, Thome, Javy sound good to opposing clubs. s***, Royals fans went crazy when they got Guillen last winter. If we finish this tank job, I would think KW will deal some of the lumbering lugs who clog the basepaths. Whether a better team comes out of this who knows?

If we finish this tank job, I wonder if Oz will resign. He's pretty emotional. He'll regret it in a few months ala Bret Favre but I wonder if he'll move on.

A race to see how f***ing pathetic the Sox offense is. 12 of 22 games where they haven't scored more than 3 f***ing runs. Give me a freaking break. Ozzie, here's a hint, don't just mess with the top of the order (ie, OC whose ACTUALLY f***ING HITTING) but move the sluggers that are DOING s*** (DYE/THOME).