Chicago @ Tampa Bay - ALDS Game 1

Heads22

Come back get them tomorrow and the Sox are in good shape. If there was any game you could chalk down for a loss before it was even played it was this one. I will not let myself get to worked up over this.

If we loss tomorrow that's another story.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chalk this one up to another Vazquez choke...fully expected to lose this one.

Hope we can scratch a couple across against Kazmir tomorrow and Mark is Game 2 ALCS / Sunday vs. CLE Mark Buehrle.

I'd start Swisher / Anderson in LF / CF against Kazmir...although I don't think BA is going to have much of a chance against Kaz.

BUT...isn't Kazmir hurting a little bit, and that's why they held him out of Game 1?

This proves the makeup of the team isn't right.

YES, Javier is junk and should be jettisoned as soon as possible, but it seems the only way we score is with a homer. Our leadoff hitter sucks, we have very little speed.

Buehrle will need to come out firing for game 2...And the book on Kazmir is be patient, he'll use a LOT of pitches. If we play it smart we could get him out of the game early even if we dont score (Ive seen Kazmir pitch 5 innings and have 110 pitches while giving up only 1 run, he's NOT economical).

The VERY SAD thing about losing this game is they didn't beat our best...They beat a bum pitcher...I have more respect if they beat one of our other guys, but beating Javvy Vazquez PROVES NOTHING and Im sure the talking heads will be saying how wonderful Tampa bay is, but we gave them this game basically...we ran out a total stiff to start this game.

If they beat Mark and Danks, then Ill tip my cap to them...but for tonight foogem.

Sox should have scored at least 5 runs today and could have stolen a game they had no business winning in terms of season record and ability to play in Tampa Bay.

That being said, I think that the next 3 games are decent to good match ups for the Sox. The pen got some rest, Buerhle got some rest, and Danks, Floyd will now be on normal rotation.

This game could have really gone the Sox's way but they just give up way to many 2 out runs.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)

YES, Javier is junk and should be jettisoned as soon as possible, but it seems the only way we score is with a homer. Our leadoff hitter sucks, we have very little speed.

Buehrle will need to come out firing for game 2...And the book on Kazmir is be patient, he'll use a LOT of pitches. If we play it smart we could get him out of the game early even if we dont score (Ive seen Kazmir pitch 5 innings and have 110 pitches while giving up only 1 run, he's NOT economical).

The VERY SAD thing about losing this game is they didn't beat our best...They beat a bum pitcher...I have more respect if they beat one of our other guys, but beating Javvy Vazquez PROVES NOTHING and Im sure the talking heads will be saying how wonderful Tampa bay is, but we gave them this game basically...we ran out a total stiff to start this game.

If they beat Mark and Danks, then Ill tip my cap to them...but for tonight foogem.

This game is on Ozzie for starting that piece of s***. We all knew Javier would piss his f***ing leg, we have been saying it for the last two to three days, there was a whole thread dedicated to the fact that he was starting this game. He had no chance against the Rays tonight, and Clayton had come off two strong outings against GREAT offenses, AND is a left-handed pitcher. AND THEN he comes into this game after Javy blows it, and OWNS THE f***ING RAYS.

f*** you ozzie guillen, you put this team in the position to LOSE right out of the gate

I agree.....

However, that is what makes me like our chances going forward.

So true.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
Guys, don't blame Vazquez. He said he doesn't like pitching in domes. :P

Man, I so hope we trade him to a dome team then. I'm so sick of that guy I could spit. I can't EVER remembering actually hating a pitcher who played for us. We've had some scrubs come through Chicago, but none with such a brilliant propensity for s***ting their pants.

I have more respect for a guy with limited talent and big heart.

Remember Britt Burns, 1983? He lost game 4 of the ALCS v. the Holes...Britt WAS a fine pitcher, but after his hip injury he was on borrowed time. He literally pitched that game on one leg and threw 150 pitches...he lost, but BOY what HEART that boy showed. Ill never forget Britt's game that day..and while Burns et.al. didn't bring home the gold that year, it was still a fun year to remember.

I WANT to forget Vazquez was ever a member of this franchise./

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 04:35 PM)
Leave it to Chicago. The only city that can get 2 teams into the playoffs and have both lose.

Dude,don't you dare tie us up to the Cubs,we got a WS win,they are going on 100 years of futility.I recognize no other teams in Chicago other than the White Sox,Bears,Bulls and Blackhawks.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
This game is on Ozzie for starting that piece of s***. We all knew Javier would piss his f***ing leg, we have been saying it for the last two to three days, there was a whole thread dedicated to the fact that he was starting this game. He had no chance against the Rays tonight, and Clayton had come off two strong outings against GREAT offenses, AND is a left-handed pitcher. AND THEN he comes into this game after Javy blows it, and OWNS THE f***ING RAYS.

f*** you ozzie guillen, you put this team in the position to LOSE right out of the gate

Ozzie didnt have a choice. Javy was going to start one way or another. Its better we attempt him in game 1 and realize he 'officially' sucks now than say in a pivitol game 3 or 4. Buerhles, Danks and Floyd all have 4 days rest now, something they desperately needed. Our pen did very well. I like our chances in game 2, 3 and 4! We'll bounce back. We have to win 1 in Tampa, and tommorow is our best chance to do that.

Bases loaded and one out. Juan Uribe struckout and Orlando Cabrera struckout. This is where we lost this game besides Javy Vazquez crapiness. Cabrera should not show off, then strikeout like a chicken.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
Ozzie didnt have a choice. Javy was going to start one way or another. Its better we attempt him in game 1 and realize he 'officially' sucks now than say in a pivitol game 3 or 4. Buerhles, Danks and Floyd all have 4 days rest now, something they desperately needed. Our pen did very well. I like our chances in game 2, 3 and 4! We'll bounce back. We have to win 1 in Tampa, and tommorow is our best chance to do that.

Bull, start clayton, I wanted clayton starting this game last week, I didn't like the matchup, the rays own right-handed pitching, and Javy has been absolute s*** in his last 2-3 starts

this game had wipeout written all over it, starting with the words Javier Vazquez

Clayton absolutely dominated the Rays, imagine the outcome if he started the game and we go to our bullpen a little bit earlier

ugh

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
Bases loaded and one out. Juan Uribe struckout and Orlando Cabrera struckout. This is where we lost this game besides Javy Vazquez crapiness. Cabrera should not show off, then strikeout like a chicken.

Agree. I thought Swisher (much as I dont like him) should have come in. Balfour requires patience and he overmatched Uribe and Cabrera. That was a questionable move to allow Uribe to bat. You have to take the gamble with defense..I mean, its not like the other decisions Ozzie is making seem to lend themselves to erroring on the side of defense. We needed runs there and Swisher gave us a better chance than Ooribe.