25 man roster

letsgoarow

Gavin Floyd will start the first two games in the bullpen, as manager Ozzie Guillen and the staff are going with Javier Vazquez, Mark Buehrle and then John Danks. Floyd would pitch Game 4 if necessary.

As far as the rest of the 25-man roster it looks like this:

Pitchers

Richard

Thornton

Carrasco

Russell

Linebrink

Jenks

Dotel

Floyd

Buehrle

Vazquez

Danks

Position players on the bench

Fields

Hall

B. Anderson

N. Swisher

J. Owens

Tentative starting lineup

Cabrera

D. Wise

J. Dye

Thome

Konerko

Griffey

Ramirez

Pierzynski

Uribe

Carlos Quentin was scheduled to take more swings off the tee during the workout, but according to manager Ozzie Guillen, is still a long-shot for even the second round.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
I like it, aside from Wise starting in LF. I give a lot of credit to what he did for us down the stretch, but his true colors are coming out, which was to be expected. Get Nick back into the lineup, hopefully have him finish the season on a really positive note.

i so agree with this. i can't believe how much weight a few good games is carrying.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 11:10 PM)
I like it, aside from Wise starting in LF. I give a lot of credit to what he did for us down the stretch, but his true colors are coming out, which was to be expected. Get Nick back into the lineup, hopefully have him finish the season on a really positive note.

I agree. I don't know why Ozzie is so infatuated with Wise as a starter. He is not hitting and his defense is not great by an means. I would think Swisher deserves to be in LF since CQ is out.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 06:32 PM)
Which is really ignorant, as Wise is terrible on defense. He plays extremely deep, yet he's terrible on plays near the wall.

and he really doesn't seem that damn fast to me. Dare I say, I'd rather have Jerry Owens in LF than Wise.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
Which is really ignorant, as Wise is terrible on defense. He plays extremely deep, yet he's terrible on plays near the wall.

that and the fact that this is not a "speed" team - it relies on power and having guys on base to maximize it. At least Swisher can make a pitcher work and get on base with a walk.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)

I have to disagree on multiple levels. First, I think he plays too shallow, particularly in CF. Second, Wise has a much better arm than Owens and is at least as good as Owens in general defense.

All told, I'd still rather have Swisher in there though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 12:53 AM)
I have to disagree on multiple levels. First, I think he plays too shallow, particularly in CF. Second, Wise has a much better arm than Owens and is at least as good as Owens in general defense.

All told, I'd still rather have Swisher in there though.

In CF, Wise did play shallow. For some reason, he plays extremely deep in LF. But yet, he does have a better arm. I think Swisher's a very good LF.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
In CF, Wise did play shallow. For some reason, he plays extremely deep in LF. But yet, he does have a better arm. I think Swisher's a very good LF.

I agree, Swish is a solid LF. And about the arm. But I'll tell ya, I was sitting in sec 155 yesterday, right above the LF foul pole. And Wise didn't look to me like he was playing deep. Its a short LF in the Cell, and he was still pretty far in, it looked like. Hard to say though, from the angle I was at.

Still, as a choice goes...

Swish >>>>>>>> Wise >>>> Owens

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 01:03 AM)
I agree, Swish is a solid LF. And about the arm. But I'll tell ya, I was sitting in sec 155 yesterday, right above the LF foul pole. And Wise didn't look to me like he was playing deep. Its a short LF in the Cell, and he was still pretty far in, it looked like. Hard to say though, from the angle I was at.

How bad was the bathroom situation by your part of the concourse? It was insane by the RF foul pole.

One of the main reasons for having Danks go 3rd is that the Rays hit 20 points worse as as team against lefties this year. And their power stats drop off a table too. OPS drops by 50 points.

So... to improve your chances of beating them... throw every quality lefty you have at them first.

Wow! All of the displeasure with Wise is exactly what a not-smart person would say. He's definitely been in a slump for a week plus. Swish was in slumps for months at a time. Someone complained that Wise strikes out too much, evidently without noting that Swish has 135 strikeouts in 153 games. Wite, you said you don't think he's all that fast. He's always looked fast to me, and is 9 for 9 in stolen bases. Clearly not just a Owens-like track star, he's slugging .450 (better than Swisher)- hit 15 homers between AAA and the majors this year in about 320 at bats. And on a team full of walk/strikeout/homer sluggers, it's pretty darn sensible to have him in there to vary the attack. Seems clearly like a case of Sox fans only being able to remember the vary immediate past. He's had a bad week. Overly emotionally react and say he sucks, forget about hating Swisher and his .219 batting average because you haven't seen him play in a while.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Wow! All of the displeasure with Wise is exactly what a not-smart person would say. He's definitely been in a slump for a week plus. Swish was in slumps for months at a time. Someone complained that Wise strikes out too much, evidently without noting that Swish has 135 strikeouts in 153 games. Wite, you said you don't think he's all that fast. He's always looked fast to me, and is 9 for 9 in stolen bases. Clearly not just a Owens-like track star, he's slugging .450 (better than Swisher)- hit 15 homers between AAA and the majors this year in about 320 at bats. An a team full of walk/strikeout/homer sluggers, it's pretty darn sensible to have him in there to vary the attack. Seems clearly like a case of Sox fans only being able to remember the vary immediate past. He's had a bad week. Overly emotionally react and say he sucks, forget about hating Swisher and his .219 batting average because you haven't seen him play in a while.

^^^^^

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 09:09 PM)
Wow! All of the displeasure with Wise is exactly what a not-smart person would say. He's definitely been in a slump for a week plus. Swish was in slumps for months at a time. Someone complained that Wise strikes out too much, evidently without noting that Swish has 135 strikeouts in 153 games. Wite, you said you don't think he's all that fast. He's always looked fast to me, and is 9 for 9 in stolen bases. Clearly not just a Owens-like track star, he's slugging .450 (better than Swisher)- hit 15 homers between AAA and the majors this year in about 320 at bats. And on a team full of walk/strikeout/homer sluggers, it's pretty darn sensible to have him in there to vary the attack. Seems clearly like a case of Sox fans only being able to remember the vary immediate past. He's had a bad week. Overly emotionally react and say he sucks, forget about hating Swisher and his .219 batting average because you haven't seen him play in a while.

Yet one of them is a career minor leaguer and the other has a proven track record that offers some hope.

Wise has one good month and it was 24 at-bats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6442/s...x9yCw.hZqWFCLcF

Look how awful he's been after the ASG.

Since his multi home run game against KC two weeks ago his BA dropped 48 points, OBP dropped 31 points and his slugging has dropped 111 points.

That's garbage.

QUOTE (Felix @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:29 PM)
Yet one of them is a career minor leaguer and the other has a proven track record that offers some hope.

Yeah, I'll take Swisher for his career. I'll take whoever can help us most for the next month over the next month. The arguments for Swisher pretty much rest on his poor hitting having receded in the minds of Sox fans because he hasn't played, and that bad memory being supplanted by Wise's bad week. A week in which he still did those things that few others on our team can do because of his speed. Against Cleveland, 1st to third on a single. Tagging and scoring on a pop-up to short. A goddamn pop-up. Later that game stealing 2nd, taking 3rd on the overthrow. And again, he's' not Owens. He's OUTSLUGGED Swisher this year. Maybe Swisher would get hot right now if he were put in. Maybe. I don't know and you don't. I do believe that Wise simply has a higher likelihood of hitting for average, making contact, stealing bags and otherwise using his speed, with just about as much power potential as Swisher.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:39 PM)
Wise has one good month and it was 24 at-bats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6442/s...x9yCw.hZqWFCLcF

Look how awful he's been after the ASG.

Since his multi home run game against KC two weeks ago his BA dropped 48 points, OBP dropped 31 points and his slugging has dropped 111 points.

That's garbage.

You and numbers is garbage. You can't use raw numbers like "dropped 31 points!!!" without providing the pertinent context of his very small number of total at bats. Swisher's OPS dropped 177 point between April 18 and April 26. That's only 8 days!

As awful as you suggest he's been, he has the same OPS as Swisher