25 man roster

letsgoarow

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point either player will have to step up his game to be truly useful at the plate. Where I think Swish has a nice advantage is experience. Perhaps there is a stat for smarts and the potential to not do something monumentally stupid. I think both their upsides are within spitting distance of each other, but I trust Swish to not make a boneheaded mistake, I'm not so certain about Wise. So in a battle of mediocre, I take the guy with the smaller downside and that's Swisher.

i so agree with this. i can't believe how much weight a few good games is carrying.

One of the moderator posters said Stone said Oz wants Wise in left if he plays Griffey in cf cause Wise has more speed.

I agree Wise has been an automatic out. But in theory if he gets his head out, he and OC provide some speed at the top.

Finally, my opinion is Swish buried himself though the moderator disagreed with me. I think Swish lost Oz with his moping on the bench during the disastrous road trip when Oz benched him.

I am not thrilled about Wise playing, if I had to pick Game One I'd probably pick Swish, but nobody should be acting like Swish is some great player getting dissed. Swish has had a horses*** season and nobody can convince me otherwise.

Also I defer to Oz who knows more baseball than anybody on this board. Yes get over it if you think you know more than Oz. If any of you think that you are wrong. Oz isn't perfect but he knows baseball.

Edited by greg775

You and numbers is garbage. You can't use raw numbers like "dropped 31 points!!!" without providing the pertinent context of his very small number of total at bats. Swisher's OPS dropped 177 point between April 18 and April 26. That's only 8 days!

As awful as you suggest he's been, he has the same OPS as Swisher

How is a 8 day stretch back in April of someone who doesn't play anymore compare exactly to someone who is currently in a two week freefall?

It's true that they nearly have the same OPS, but Swisher leads in the more important category (OBP) by 39 points.

Then there's the whole deal with Swisher playing below his career norms and Wise as a career minor leaguer playing way above his.

QUOTE (tommy @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 06:57 PM)
Am I the only one surprised that Javy is starting game 1 and Gavin is in the pen?

Simple fact is, Javy is on normal rest, and everyone else pitched their tail ends off on 3 days rest already this week and 2x in the past 15 days or so. The rotation sets up well with everyone on normal rest or even extra rest if we give Javy game 1 and roll the dice on him putting up a decent game on the road.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
Javy needs to pitch six supurb innings, preferably seven.

Javy to Thornton to Jenks would be ideal.

Javy to Linebrink to Thornton to Jenks would be OK as well.

Frankly, I don't really care if the innings are "Superb". We need to win 1 game in Tampa. I want him to keep it close enough that if the offense has a solid game we're in it, and I'd like him to keep it close enough that we don't take him out before he throws 115 pitches.

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
One of the main reasons for having Danks go 3rd is that the Rays hit 20 points worse as as team against lefties this year. And their power stats drop off a table too. OPS drops by 50 points.

So... to improve your chances of beating them... throw every quality lefty you have at them first.

I'm dead serious when I say I'd rather see Clayton Richard start game one. Javy's wet the bed the last two starts which were huge games, this stat just confirms my belief.

I'm dead serious when I say I'd rather see Clayton Richard start game one. Javy's wet the bed the last two starts which were huge games, this stat just confirms my belief.

I don't see how that would be wise at all. Javy is a well paid big league pitcher who has been in the rotation all year and capable of a good outing. He's not hurt or anything. It's not like Richard is some certain star in the making who deserves the ball. He's just Richard.

This makes perfect sense to go with Javy. Hopefully the third time's the charm (since Oz calling him out).

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:10 PM)
How is a 8 day stretch back in April of someone who doesn't play anymore compare exactly to someone who is currently in a two week freefall?

It's true that they nearly have the same OPS, but Swisher leads in the more important category (OBP) by 39 points.

Then there's the whole deal with Swisher playing below his career norms and Wise as a career minor leaguer playing way above his.

Then there's the fact that Nick Swisher is sporting a 20.9% line drive percentage and .249 BABIP, he's been VERY unlucky this year. He's hitting the ball hard but right at people. At least if you get Swisher out there you have the chance that these line drives are gonna start falling.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 12:41 AM)
Then there's the fact that Nick Swisher is sporting a 20.9% line drive percentage and .249 BABIP, he's been VERY unlucky this year. He's hitting the ball hard but right at people. At least if you get Swisher out there you have the chance that these line drives are gonna start falling.

i completely agree. wise has been USELESS

I think if Wise struggles again Thursday, Guillen has to go with Swisher in LF against Kazmir. Heck, he might even go to Brian Anderson as well in CF to replace Griffey, although I'll believe it when I see it.

OTOH, we win Game 1 and Wise goes 0 for 5 with 3 K's, he'll still be in the line-up on Friday, because Ozzie is always superstitious about winning streaks, and we have won three elimination games on 3 consecutive days DESPITE Wise being in the line-up, fwiw.

I wouldn't mind seeing Alexei hitting second behind Cabrera against Kazmir, or leading off with Cabrera 2nd. Alexei had one of his best games of the season the one time he did lead off...and you might see it again next year if KW can't find anyone. The problem is his lack of patience and OBP around .320 don't justify the move, not until he become a little more patient. But I like the idea of a Soriano/Sizemore dynamic type of hitter leading off...not saying Alexei is QUITE that good, but he has the potential to be, especially if he gets a little stronger and puts on 10-15 pounds (hopefully without losing any range/quickness).

QUOTE (Wedge @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 12:45 AM)
Does anybody else think this game could determine Javy's future with the White Sox? If he s***s the bed I could see the team shopping him hard in the offseason. If he does super great, it's a feel good situation and he stays.

Or if he ends up being a vial of TB vaccination tomorrow, you can take it and run getting more for him in the process.

I like the idea of him sticking around. If Danks and Floyd are indeed true, and Contreras uncertain to start the season, he's an ideal 4th starter. I have a good feeling about what he gives us tomorrow and throughout the playoffs actually.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

Swisher shouldn't be in the lineup and neither should Wise. We should have Anderson out in CF and Griffey in LF. Also, Ramirez should bat second. Otherwise, I'd make no major changes to the lineup. The lineup should look, IMO, something like:

1. Cabrera, SS

2. Ramirez, 2B

3. Dye, RF

4. Thome, DH

5. Konerko, 1B

6. Griffey, LF

7. Pierzynski, C (who cares if we have two lefties back-to-back)

8. Uribe, 3B

9. Anderson, CF

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 11:41 PM)

I have watched the Sox tho whole year, and to say he's been "unlucky" is straight up BS. Swisher has simply sucked this whole year. He's looked uncomfortable at bat and quite simply has sucked up there.

QUOTE (tommy @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
Am I the only one surprised that Javy is starting game 1 and Gavin is in the pen?

I think if Javy has nothing on the ball once again, and it looks like another long day is shaping up, then we pull Javy fast and put in Floyd and have him take Javy's spot in the rotation for game 4.

If Javy actually shows up with something on the ball, then I see Floyd just being a safety net for the rest of the pitchers in this series, and Javy getting the nod once again on game 4.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 06:38 AM)
I think if Javy has nothing on the ball once again, and it looks like another long day is shaping up, then we pull Javy fast and put in Floyd and have him take Javy's spot in the rotation for game 4.

If Javy actually shows up with something on the ball, then I see Floyd just being a safety net for the rest of the pitchers in this series, and Javy getting the nod once again on game 4.

Why would you start Vazquez on short rest over Floyd, especially when he's pitched so poorly the last two times out? Even if he pitches very well, I still don't think the White Sox would go to him in Game 4. Floyd proved on Monday he can win the big game and has been our "stopper" more or less the entire season. Disagree completely about starting Javier in Game 4. If anyting, Buehrle would go on 3 day's rest in Game 5 INSTEAD of Vazquez.

The White Sox are doin with Floyd the same thing Piniella wanted to do with Zambrano Sunday but it was nixed. Have him pitch an inning or two, get his feet wet and maybe that will help him get a better feel for the breaking ball. Floyd will have gone Monday to Monday in terms of rest, it's smart to sneak him in there just to let him get comfortable and a feel for what it's like to pitch in playoff atmosphere, especially if Vazquez/Richard just absolutely get blown out of the building in the first 4-5 innings. Why not?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 11:09 PM)
I don't see how that would be wise at all. Javy is a well paid big league pitcher who has been in the rotation all year and capable of a good outing. He's not hurt or anything. It's not like Richard is some certain star in the making who deserves the ball. He's just Richard.

This makes perfect sense to go with Javy. Hopefully the third time's the charm (since Oz calling him out).

I know and I agree with everything you said, just a gut feeling Javy is going to lay another egg I guess.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 06:38 AM)

Floyd won't come into the game early. richard will be the first guy in if it's before the 5th inning. Floyd won't work more than an innig since he just worked on monday and he will be the starter for game 4 to clinch it for us. ;)