Boston Red Sox vs. Tampa Bay Rays ALCS Thread

kjshoe04

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 18, 2008 -> 08:31 PM)
Alright, I'm on the bandwagon that Boston is going to the series. I'm flip flopping more that Mariotti now.

Playoff lesson #1 for the Rays: When you have a team down, finish them! I'm glad we finished off Boston in three straight in '05. No telling what would've happened if El Duque hadn't pulled his miracle act in game 3.

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Oct 18, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)
Jesus Christ, if Boston comes back to win this series, I'm going to declare that they have a horseshoe up their ass. Three highly improbable come-from-behind series victories within a span of five years? I'm tired of seeing them in the WS.

It's not luck, it's the ability to not collapse under pressure. The Yankees, Indians, and soon to be Rays all completely collapsed under the pressure of trying to close out a series, and Boston has done a superb job of staying loose and taking advantage of it. Fortunately, the 2005 White Sox knew how to close it out against Boston unlike all of these other clowns.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I hate Boston with every fiber of my existence, but I won't deny that I would take great pleasure in seeing the Cinderella Rays undergo a colossal choke. They didn't exactly endear themselves to me in the ALDS (Balfour, cowbells, dome, etc.). No matter who wins, though, I am becoming a huge Phillies fan for the WS.

Lets go Red Sox,I see the Rays starting to crack,Garza is a punk,season ovah for the upstarts...I'll be pulling for the Phillies over the Red Sox,much better WS,who cares about the Rays,I don t want to see another game in the Metrodome South (Tropicana).

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

This is heartbreaking to me. It sucks to see a team that has done so well and even reminded me of us in 2005 going so far to lose a 3-1 series lead. I had the radio on before work Game 5 and heard the announcer say that Pappelbon had to go 2 more innings to give the Red Sox a comeback chance when he already threw nearly 30 pitches in one inning, and it was 7-0 going to the bottom of the 7th. I was SHOCKED when someone ran in and said the Red Sox had come back.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 19, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
There is NO WAY the Phillies beat the Red Sox. The only hope is that the Rays pull out the win tonight, which is not very likely.

I think the Phillies have a better shot at beating Boston than Tampa for some reason.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Oct 19, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
This is heartbreaking to me. It sucks to see a team that has done so well and even reminded me of us in 2005 going so far to lose a 3-1 series lead. I had the radio on before work Game 5 and heard the announcer say that Pappelbon had to go 2 more innings to give the Red Sox a comeback chance when he already threw nearly 30 pitches in one inning, and it was 7-0 going to the bottom of the 7th. I was SHOCKED when someone ran in and said the Red Sox had come back.

I hope i'm wrong, but i think that Pedroia Homer was back-breaker. These sox are the anti-Cubs, and are unfortuantley, on the verge of becoming the new Yankees. I respect their organization, but no team (barring our Sox) desrves to win it all every year. I like(d) these Rays, and their a great story, but this one seems destined to have an unhappy ending. On the plus, that bastard ex-twin Bartlett is goona be their Bartman.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 19, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
If Tampa loses this series, Maddon deserves so much of the blame. His handing of pitching decisions in game 5 was the worst I've ever seen in a big game.

Not so sure. He went with the guys that brought them to the dance. They blew it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 12:38 AM)
Not so sure. He went with the guys that brought them to the dance. They blew it.

But he really didn't. All year, Wheeler was used in the 8th/9th inning. Why not let Howell try to get a few outs in the 7th and 8th innings? You ask any Tampa fan, and Wheeler might have the worst stuff of any of their bullpen guys. It's funny, as my brother was able to watch game 5 at a Tampa organization gathering. To say people were puzzled about Maddon's use of the bullpen is an understatement. Oh well, hopefully Tampa wins this. If not, go Phils!