Boston Red Sox vs. Tampa Bay Rays ALCS Thread

kjshoe04

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
The emergence of Longoria is crazy...reminds me of Braun last year, except that instead of not being able to play defense, Longoria plays ridiculous defense.

It's exciting to think of what he could become, Major League Baseball should be quite entertaining in the coming years.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 07:23 PM)
It's exciting to think of what he could become, Major League Baseball should be quite entertaining in the coming years.

The past two seasons really feel like a changing of the guard. These older, sometimes PED infested players are being weeded out and young studs are coming up essentially out of nowhere.

The game is going in good places, and I like seeing it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)
The past two seasons really feel like a changing of the guard. These older, sometimes PED infested players are being weeded out and young studs are coming up essentially out of nowhere.

The game is going in good places, and I like seeing it.

I'm hoping we can hotshot Beckham to the majors. Not before he is ready obviously but sometimes I like the philosophy of promoting the kid and letting him learn, and by the way Beckham played in his month down there, he looks to be a fast learner.

Tampa Bay Domination.

Sonnanstine pitched pretty well tonight. Maddon left him in a little too long I think. I don't feel so bad now getting shut down by him in the ALDS. I also don't feel so bad losing to Tampa period, as they look like world-beaters right now.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 10:20 PM)
speaking of Upton. Damn, that was a throw.

I was watching the game with a large group, and I was surprised to find myself the only one in absolute awe over that throw. The kid was in the deepest part of the ballpark, has a bum shoulder, but managed to hit Pena’s glove at first without him moving an inch. I’m calling it right now; the Upton Brothers are going to be making a profound impact on baseball for years to come.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
Still funny to think that joesaiditstrue in one of the playoff game threads said Upton was a similar hitter than Juan Uribe. Too funny.

Still funny to think that you're still not smart enough to understand the comment I made.

Meanwhile, I called the Rays winning the American League and looks like I'll be right about that.

Good for the Rays! It's refreshing having somebody kick some ass in that division other than Boston and NY. I'll admit I was one that questioned them in the middle of the season and actually didn't see how they were doin' it. But the are good. But on a side note...you should be good or getting there if you have the 1st or 2nd draft pick every year for the last 10 goddamn years!!!

I wonder what they do with Edwin Jackson next year, do they trade him in a package for a DH/RF or have him in long relief. I cant imagine Sonnanstine losing his rotation spot after what he has shown in playoffs and Price has to be a starter. It's scary that they can be a better team next season.

Does anybody other than myself find humor in the fact that if Lou Pinella was the baseball god that he was thought to be he could have been in the situation Maddon is in? I understand the team is grossly differrent now than it was when he was there but Rocco, Crawford and Josh Hamilton were still in the pipeline with high ceilings.

I alos love the older PED guys falling by the wayside. The parityin baseball is really cool to see.

Also the Sox series was much closed than this series. The White Sox were in every game.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 10:03 AM)
Does anybody other than myself find humor in the fact that if Lou Pinella was the baseball god that he was thought to be he could have been in the situation Maddon is in? I understand the team is grossly differrent now than it was when he was there but Rocco, Crawford and Josh Hamilton were still in the pipeline with high ceilings.

Considering the best lineup Sweet Lou had to work with was probably this one from 2004. I think you should cut him a little slack.

2004 Opening Day Lineup

Carl Crawford, lf

Damian Rolls, 3b

Rocco Baldelli, cf

Aubrey Huff, dh

Jose Cruz Jr., rf

Tino Martinez, 1b

Julio Lugo, ss

Rey Sanchez, 2b

Toby Hall, c

Victor Zambrano, p

Also, keep in mind that Hamilton was still going through his drug problems, and at the time Baldelli, Huff, and Crawford were only beginning to emerge.

Edited by Thunderbolt

I understand that but I find it funny that the guy that replaced him was able to get his team to win do what Lou was suppossed to do. He was a joke with that franchise because he needed to manage not just sit on a big payroll and roll guys out there. I am not comparing his Tampa teams with Maddon's team just the idea that he bailed on that franchise as soon as living in Tampa and close to his family got old and bigger pay day came along. He was brought in to get the franchise to respectabiltiy and he quit on them. I know the GM switch probably helped greatly as well as the trades that brought in Kazmir, Navarro, Jackson and Garza.

I just chuckle that the guy that replaced him has won 6 playoff games while Sweet Lou the World Series baseball genius has none.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)
I understand that but I find it funny that the guy that replaced him was able to get his team to win do what Lou was suppossed to do. He was a joke with that franchise because he needed to manage not just sit on a big payroll and roll guys out there. I am not comparing his Tampa teams with Maddon's team just the idea that he bailed on that franchise as soon as living in Tampa and close to his family got old and bigger pay day came along. He was brought in to get the franchise to respectabiltiy and he quit on them. I know the GM switch probably helped greatly as well as the trades that brought in Kazmir, Navarro, Jackson and Garza.

I just chuckle that the guy that replaced him has won 6 playoff games while Sweet Lou the World Series baseball genius has none.

It is an interesting contrast in that; Piniella had what, four years? And couldn't get them above 69 wins. And Madden been there for about three had two god-awful years, but had utterly reversed the trend this year. In my mind, the roster is clearly making an impact, which came with a new front office, and a different mentality. But I’m also beginning to think that maybe the name change did bring about some fundamental transformation for these players. This organization has essentially been rebuilding for five years, and now it’s beginning to payoff.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
It is an interesting contrast in that; Piniella had what, four years? And couldn't get them above 69 wins. And Madden been there for about three had two god-awful years, but had utterly reversed the trend this year. In my mind, the roster is clearly making an impact, which came with a new front office, and a different mentality. But I’m also beginning to think that maybe the name change did bring about some fundamental transformation for these players. This organization has essentially been rebuilding for five years, and now it’s beginning to payoff.

Their management changed fundamentally what, 3 years ago now? (The GM I mean)

They simply are loaded. You could give me that team and I'd have a good shot at winning a couple of world series with that roster.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 12:55 AM)
Still funny to think that you're still not smart enough to understand the comment I made.

Meanwhile, I called the Rays winning the American League and looks like I'll be right about that.

Well please explain the comment then. Uribe isnt talented enough to hold Upton's jock, much less be compared to in regards to his offensive production.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 04:43 AM)
I wonder what they do with Edwin Jackson next year, do they trade him in a package for a DH/RF or have him in long relief. I cant imagine Sonnanstine losing his rotation spot after what he has shown in playoffs and Price has to be a starter. It's scary that they can be a better team next season.

I'd trade Sonnanstine if I were them. He's probably going to be at peak value after this postseason, he'll be 26 on opening day next year, and he has by far the most ordinary stuff of the guys they have. Do that, and you have the balance of three righties and two lefties in your rotation, and Shields/Kazmir/Garza/Price/Jackson will be a rotation unmatched in the sport IMO if you head that direction next season.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
Well please explain the comment then. Uribe isnt talented enough to hold Upton's jock, much less be compared to in regards to his offensive production.

I say let it go. Type of stuff that will just go back and forth.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
I'd trade Sonnanstine if I were them. He's probably going to be at peak value after this postseason, he'll be 26 on opening day next year, and he has by far the most ordinary stuff of the guys they have. Do that, and you have the balance of three righties and two lefties in your rotation, and Shields/Kazmir/Garza/Price/Jackson will be a rotation unmatched in the sport IMO if you head that direction next season.

Outside of an upper echelon closer, what do they really have that could make that team better right now? And do you think Sonnanstine could nab that? For example, would you do Jenks for Sonnanstine straight up? I don't think I would.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
Outside of an upper echelon closer, what do they really have that could make that team better right now? And do you think Sonnanstine could nab that? For example, would you do Jenks for Sonnanstine straight up? I don't think I would.

I'd give em Dotel.......