Sox off-season outlook

bighurt4life

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
:huh :huh:

I am not saying I agree with it at all, but that Thornton would be the closer and would probably be very good. For an excellent closer like Jenks whose salary will be affordable for the next three years, you could get some big time prospects or a very solid starter.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
Hey let's shop half of our sure things in the bullpen. Because, you know, we proved having 2 good bullpen arms was way too many this year. Also, ignore Thorton's career 26% save percentage.

Garbage stat for non-closers. The best setup men in the game (setup men, not closers, this is important) are going to have s*** SV%. A setup guy will not record many saves because generally, he will not be the one finishing off the game. Yet anytime he relinquishes a lead he's going to get a blown save. So very few opportunities to record a save combined with tons of opportunities to blow a save means we have a very skewed statistic.

Tell me, how often does Jenks blow a save like this. (take a look at the bottom of the 7th, that's a blown save)

I want to point out that Ichiro is probably one of the most overpaid players in the game. Sure he's solid but given everything, including the cost factor to get him (ie players given up) there is absolutely no way the Sox could acquire Ichiro. I wouldn't trade Danks straight up for Ichiro and it would cost the Sox a lot more than that just to get him.

If you want to get a CFer, focus on David DeJesus. He'd be a really nice pick-up and you might even be able to trade Swisher straight up for him or get a 3rd team involved.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
I want to point out that Ichiro is probably one of the most overpaid players in the game. Sure he's solid but given everything, including the cost factor to get him (ie players given up) there is absolutely no way the Sox could acquire Ichiro. I wouldn't trade Danks straight up for Ichiro and it would cost the Sox a lot more than that just to get him.

If you want to get a CFer, focus on David DeJesus. He'd be a really nice pick-up and you might even be able to trade Swisher straight up for him or get a 3rd team involved.

I like the type of player DeJesus is, but to be honest, I'm really tired of trading with KC. We've gotten s*** from them in the past couple of trades.

DeJesus gets thrown around a lot but I don't think the Royals are going to be selling pieces away any time quickly without getting MLB pieces that are close to the majors. DeJesus has to be part of the rebuilding. I also don't like that he's as injury prone as he is.

Like him as a player, I just don't think he's a realistic option.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)

I agree with this. Kenny acquiring Ichiro from Japan back in '01 would've been a steal. But now, forget it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
DeJesus gets thrown around a lot but I don't think the Royals are going to be selling pieces away any time quickly without getting MLB pieces that are close to the majors. DeJesus has to be part of the rebuilding. I also don't like that he's as injury prone as he is.

Like him as a player, I just don't think he's a realistic option.

He's the exact type of guy the club needs. High average, high OBP, solid speed. The Sox don't have another guy out there like him. He fits into the "Twins" mold and I'm not about to say we should turn our team into the Twins but there is a major benefit to having a few guys throughout the lineup that can hit for a high average. That high average hitter should be able to hit even the best pitchers and its easier to get a single or basehit off a good pticher than it is a HR so you are increasing your chance at getting that one run across in a "key" situation.

I'd love to find a way to get a CF/2B who both could hit around .300 with a .360 OBP and play decent defense. You do that and stick whoever the f*** at 3B and go with Ramirez at SS and I'm loving the lineup. You got enough power between Dye/Thome/Konerko/Quentin.

You are right about DeJesus being a potential franchise guy. He's signed to an affordable extension but the Royals could get a bigger "face" in Swisher plus some prospects (maybe Broadway & Anderson or whomever). I just wouldn't give up Poreda or Shelby. I'd even trade Josh FIelds but they would clearly have little use for Fields.

Swisher is also very affordable so its not like the Royals would have trouble fitting him into payroll.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
Would you trade Poreda for DeJesus?

no. bcuz if poreda ends up being as good as hes touted to be, then someone like dejesus isnt worth it. hes good but i wouldnt even consider him an all star player. a bit above average.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)
He's the exact type of guy the club needs. High average, high OBP, solid speed. The Sox don't have another guy out there like him. He fits into the "Twins" mold and I'm not about to say we should turn our team into the Twins but there is a major benefit to having a few guys throughout the lineup that can hit for a high average. That high average hitter should be able to hit even the best pitchers and its easier to get a single or basehit off a good pticher than it is a HR so you are increasing your chance at getting that one run across in a "key" situation.

I'd love to find a way to get a CF/2B who both could hit around .300 with a .360 OBP and play decent defense. You do that and stick whoever the f*** at 3B and go with Ramirez at SS and I'm loving the lineup. You got enough power between Dye/Thome/Konerko/Quentin.

You are right about DeJesus being a potential franchise guy. He's signed to an affordable extension but the Royals could get a bigger "face" in Swisher plus some prospects (maybe Broadway & Anderson or whomever). I just wouldn't give up Poreda or Shelby. I'd even trade Josh FIelds but they would clearly have little use for Fields.

Swisher is also very affordable so its not like the Royals would have trouble fitting him into payroll.

Brian Roberts?

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
In looking at MLB trade rumors for the A's, they said the A's will be looking for power this offseason. Would they want Dye or Konerko? Get Duchscherer and Huston Street?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/09/as-to-seek-more.html

They wont want the contracts coming with either.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 10:37 PM)
They wont want the contracts coming with either.

If the A's want power, which the link stated, a power bat doesn't come cheap. It would be better for the A's getting a Dye or Konerko than paying for a free agent.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
Garbage stat for non-closers. The best setup men in the game (setup men, not closers, this is important) are going to have s*** SV%. A setup guy will not record many saves because generally, he will not be the one finishing off the game. Yet anytime he relinquishes a lead he's going to get a blown save. So very few opportunities to record a save combined with tons of opportunities to blow a save means we have a very skewed statistic.

Tell me, how often does Jenks blow a save like this. (take a look at the bottom of the 7th, that's a blown save)

Bingo, I think that saves overall are really one of the worst statistics in baseball. I've read up on them quite a bit and honestly having a guy with lots of saves doesn't really have much of an impact on outcomes as you would think. We could probably trade Bobby and get some really nice pieces back. Like a legit CF who can hit and field. We could probably get 3 good prospects for him with one of them being star-potential.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
In looking at MLB trade rumors for the A's, they said the A's will be looking for power this offseason. Would they want Dye or Konerko? Get Duchscherer and Huston Street?

If they want power we could give them fields for a 2B or CF prospect. Not sure what they have in their system but that would give them the power they want and it wouldn't cost them an arm and a leg in prospects or salaries.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
Bingo, I think that saves overall are really one of the worst statistics in baseball. I've read up on them quite a bit and honestly having a guy with lots of saves doesn't really have much of an impact on outcomes as you would think. We could probably trade Bobby and get some really nice pieces back. Like a legit CF who can hit and field. We could probably get 3 good prospects for him with one of them being star-potential.

So I guess everybody was REEEEEEEALLY happy with Thornton in the closers role when Bobby was out for a while. Hmmmm...I seem to recall most said he didn't have the "closers mentality"...which I agree with. Why even consider trading Bobby unless you're in total rebuild mode?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)

Having lived in KC for about 10 years....

1) DeJesus is more popular and is more identified with the Royals than Swisher ever will/would be

2) The Royals' fans are somewhat oblivious to West Coast players because of the time zone difference

3) Remember, they need players to be identified as "Royals" to build the brand again with Mike Sweeney gone

4) They have Teahen and Gordon for 3B, and Shealy/Gload at 1st, not a trade partner for Fields unless it's back to LF (and they don't want that in such a spacious outfield that plays big except in July-mid September)

5) Swisher, if he hits as normally expected, should be paid right around the same salary as Swisher, so there's negligible difference...the Royals do need to get back more pop, but the only logical place for Swisher there would be in RF (if they move Teahen) or 1B. Or they can DH Jose Guillen more often and not put him in RF/LF (although Guillen's arm is still a decent asset, his speed is definitely not now that he's aging).