2009 Inauguration

lostfan

I recall a discussion on here several months back about attending the inauguration ceremony. I remember someone saying they'd been, I think it was 2K5? Can anyone tell me anything about it? Specifically, the process of actually being there. It's going to be a historic event, and I live 45 minutes away from downtown DC (in good traffic - the actual distance I live is about the distance from downtown Chicago to, say, Glenwood), so I'm in a unique position to be able to go. But all I know is that to get tickets to go to the actual thing, you have to get them from your local representative, in my case, John Sarbanes. That's not going to happen so I won't even bother, it's not like I'm trying to be close enough so I can see Obama's breath in the air.

So if I want to go, can I just show up at the Mall and be there in the crowd? Or what?

Also, is anyone else going to try and go?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
But all I know is that to get tickets to go to the actual thing, you have to get them from your local representative, in my case, John Sarbanes. That's not going to happen so I won't even bother, it's not like I'm trying to be close enough so I can see Obama's breath in the air.

Rumor is Obama wants to make it as open as possible.

From my friend who we plan to stay with when we go:

So I got the scoop on the day. So, anyone can go to the ceremony, although it will be crowded, and to the parade. The ball is the one that costs like $1000, which you can ask your senator for tickets, but unless you know Barack personally, I think we can rule that out. But I'm told that people celebrate all over the city, and I'm sure even more so for this one. U street is a big spot to go, and it's only blocks away from my house.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 07:59 PM)
So you're saying I can just get on the train and go to the crowd?

Unfortunately all I know is what she told me in that paragraph. Hopefully I'll get more info in the coming days and weeks. And if you do please share.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
Unfortunately all I know is what she told me in that paragraph. Hopefully I'll get more info in the coming days and weeks. And if you do please share.

I will, if it turns out that I can go we and whoever else from this site that's there should try to coordinate something.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 07:47 AM)
I found out my wife, the Obama fanatic, already sent Rep. Sarbanes a letter. I told her I doubted we'd get tickets though unless we were party loyalists, campaign volunteers, or somehow knew Obama personally.

Send requests to both of your sentators as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
Send requests to both of your sentators as well.

I looked, and Senators Mukulski and Cardin both have forms for MD residents who want to attend. But, both of them said that their offices have already gotten way more requests for tix than they'll be allotted so if we do manage to get them it'll be luck. My guess is that other states are like that too. It'll be worth a try though.

However, the Mall is open to the public and there will be big-screen TVs/speakers so everyone can see it. For anybody that wants to go, watch out because all of the travel/hospitality industries are jacking up their prices because they can. If you know someone that stays in the area, do that.

There are Inaugural Balls and Galas all over the place, which is where the tickets come in. Illinois will probably have a separate event, there will be many "official events" and many groups will cash in and use the inaugural as an excuse to raise a few dollars.

Tickets

Tickets to the 56th Inaugural Ceremonies will be provided free of charge and distributed through Members of the 111th Congress. The Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies does not provide tickets to the public. Members of the public interested in attending the Inaugural Ceremonies should contact their Member of Congress or U.S. Senators to request tickets.

The public should also be aware that no website or other ticket outlet actually has inaugural swearing-in tickets to sell, regardless of what they may claim. Tickets will not be distributed to Congressional offices until the week before the inauguration and will require in-person pick-up.

“Any website or ticket broker claiming that they have inaugural tickets is simply not telling the truth,” said Howard Gantman, Staff Director for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies. “Tickets for the swearing-in of President-elect are all provided through members of Congress, and the President-elect and Vice President-elect through the Presidential Inaugural Committee. We urge the public to view any offers of tickets for sale with great skepticism.”

from http://inaugural.senate.gov/2009/tickets.cfm

• 1 month later...

So, anyone else going? The state of MD, never one to miss an opportunity to collect revenue, is getting in on the gouging, round trip commuter train tickets to DC on the 20th are 25 dollars each. That's minor compared to what everyone else is doing though.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
So, anyone else going? The state of MD, never one to miss an opportunity to collect revenue, is getting in on the gouging, round trip commuter train tickets to DC on the 20th are 25 dollars each. That's minor compared to what everyone else is doing though.

Based on how bad the commute was from the Inaugural Concert, getting home from the actual inauguration might take several days.

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNew...E50G1PQ20090117

By Kevin Drawbaugh

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Wall Street may be bruised and battered, but it still donated more money than any other U.S. industry to President-elect Barack Obama's inaugural festivities on Tuesday, a study has found.

The Center for Responsive Politics said executives of finance, insurance and real estate companies and their family members gave $7.1 million to Obama's inaugural committee.

Top donors from the world of high finance included George Soros, Ronald Perelman and David Shaw, the center said.

Bankers and hedge fund managers will mingle with Hollywood stars and Silicon Valley high-technology titans at the swearing-in ceremony for the 44th president, the parade down Pennsylvania Avenue and the balls and parties that follow.

Special access and tickets are reportedly available to those who contributed $50,000 to the inaugural committee or who helped "bundle" larger sums from multiple individual donors, the center said.

The committee refused to accept money from corporations, registered lobbyists, unions or political action committees.

Entertainers such as Halle Berry, Samuel Jackson and Sharon Stone donated heavily, as did behind-the-camera moguls including Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Jeffrey Katzenberg, the center said, citing data downloaded from the Presidential Inaugural Committee's Web site.

"While Americans are hoping for real change in Washington, many deep-pocketed donors are hoping money still buys them access and influence," said Sheila Krumholz, executive director of the nonpartisan money-in-politics watchdog group.

"If history is any guide, these wealthy individuals, as well as the corporations and industries they represent, may more than recoup their investment in Obama through presidential appointments, favorable legislation and government contracts," Krumholz said.

People with Wall Street ties -- 118 of them -- gave $3.6 million; lawyers gave $2.5 million; and donors from the TV, movie and music businesses gave $1.7 million, the center said.

The center's analysis of inauguration donors was posted on its Web site at www.opensecrets.org.

(Editing by Vicki Allen)