Mets & White Sox Have Been Talking...

nitetrain8601

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
Sure KW would love that, but JP won't want to come here.

Really? He's already stated he'd be willing to play on the northside... so obviously Chicago is an acceptable location.

Has he said he wouldn't play for the Sox?

I like knightni's customized 3-way deal with the Mets. Good thinking.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Really? He's already stated he'd be willing to play on the northside... so obviously Chicago is an acceptable location.

Has he said he wouldn't play for the Sox?

The guy probably wants his opportunity to flail at 3 pitches 4 times, then go back out there without resting.

In the AL, Peavy could double his CGs.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 05:17 AM)
Ok, I found one more. Toni Ginnetti in the Dec. 14th, 2005 Chicago Sun Times wrote: "Sox rumored to be interested in Arizona Diamondbacks right-hander Javier Vazquez", you have to pay for the full article so this will have to do. Javy was traded a few days later.

I guess what would have made more sense for me to say is that of all the deals that are rumored very few ever happen. I don't think any of the recent trades have leaked. Danks, Gavin, Quentin, Cabrera and Swisher all came out of no where.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
The guy probably wants his opportunity to flail at 3 pitches 4 times, then go back out there without resting.

In the AL, Peavy could double his CGs.

Or he wants to continue facing guys twice in a game who will flail at 3 pitches.

Jenks is going to cost Murphy and Martinez at least IMHO.

All depends on what Minaya is willing to offer up here.

There are another FA closer's on the market to replace Bobby out there, if they don't want to go with Thornton.

I really think all this Bobby Jenks talk is for not. I bet, much like DBAHO said, that the talks are for two significant pieces a la Murphy and Martinez for Jenks, and the Mets won't consider that unless they strike out on all the Free Agent closers.

I am of the frame of mind that K-Rod is #1 on their list, and they'll make a run at signing him to a Francisco Cordero -like deal. If they miss on him they still have options like Wood, Hoffman, Fuentes, ect. I still think, even if they miss on all those guys, that they would be more inclined to offer something to the Rockies for Huston Street than trade for Jenks, if for no other reason than that they could probably get Street for a package built around Kunz and Neise, as opposed to one built around Muprhy and Martinez...

I dunno, but i dont see Omar forking over significant pieces to his team unless he feels he has to

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
I really think all this Bobby Jenks talk is for not. I bet, much like DBAHO said, that the talks are for two significant pieces a la Murphy and Martinez for Jenks, and the Mets won't consider that unless they strike out on all the Free Agent closers.

I am of the frame of mind that K-Rod is #1 on their list, and they'll make a run at signing him to a Francisco Cordero -like deal. If they miss on him they still have options like Wood, Hoffman, Fuentes, ect. I still think, even if they miss on all those guys, that they would be more inclined to offer something to the Rockies for Huston Street than trade for Jenks, if for no other reason than that they could probably get Street for a package built around Kunz and Neise, as opposed to one built around Muprhy and Martinez...

I dunno, but i dont see Omar forking over significant pieces to his team unless he feels he has to

Here's the thing though:

If K-Rod wants 4 year at $15M per that is $60M over 4 years. Jenks, through arbitration, probably makes closer to $32-33M over that span, so that's something like a $27-28M difference right there. The bulk of the savings would come right now. Jenks for the next two years should be about $9M total compared to $30M for K-Rod.

If you figure on spending that $30M on a #3 starter like Lowe at like $13M per and then devote the other $4M to signing about 4-5 top international prospects - because the Mets are always active in that area - then you add a hell of a lot more worth to of your organization over the next 2-4 years than a prospect such as Martinez is going to be able to provide.

Besides, I don't want FMart anyway. Not as a centerpiece. Give me pitching first - starting pitching that is, not relievers because good starters have a fallback option as relievers whereas relivers have the fallback plan of Triple A - and then a toolsy CF prospect if they've got one. That's what I'd want for Jenks.

(Edit: If the Sox can get some pitching and another CF prospect from another organization then adding Martinez would be fine with me. I just don't like the idea of not stocking up on SP if we're going to be trading veterans.)

As far as the lower-end closers, the Mets have a recent history of looking to acquire the best players available. They traded for Johan, they traded for Delgado when he was still awesome, they signed Beltran, signed Wagner, signed Castillo when he was coming off a good year, etc. Minaya shoots pretty high, and I doubt he's the type of GM that would let a prospect get in the way of the player he really wants, sort of like Kenny. Besides, a GM like that probably doesn't survive very long in NY. If Minaya wants Jenks, he'll target Jenks and eventually offer what Jenks is worth. If Minaya sees FMart as a future franchise cornerstone then he might have some serious reservations, although he's not going to see his whole farm that way and there would still be room to work regardless.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
Besides, I don't want FMart anyway. Not as a centerpiece. Give me pitching first - starting pitching that is, not relievers because good starters have a fallback option as relievers whereas relivers have the fallback plan of Triple A - and then a toolsy CF prospect if they've got one. That's what I'd want for Jenks.less.

Do the Mets have anything left of real value in the way of young starting pitching?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 07:44 PM)
No, you wouldn't. He only has one pitch and that's his sinker. Granted it is a very good sinker, it won't mean much if he has no other pitch to keep hitters off balance.

Someone's rather down on young pitchers tonight. Mr. Scout says David Price only has one pitch and now Mike Pelfrey.

Pelfrey will basically wind up being Jon Garland... the k rate is nearly identical (even a tad better). If you're saying you don't want a young, cheap Jon Garland (the developed one, not the 5 era one), then I don't know what to say.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 11:19 PM)
Someone's rather down on young pitchers tonight. Mr. Scout says David Price only has one pitch and now Mike Pelfrey.

Pelfrey will basically wind up being Jon Garland... the k rate is nearly identical (even a tad better). If you're saying you don't want a young, cheap Jon Garland (the developed one, not the 5 era one), then I don't know what to say.

I've never seen Pelfrey pitch, but if he has a very good sinker, he could very easily be much better than Garland. I never saw a very good sinker out of Garland...merely a good sinker, a solid fastball, and an array of offspeed pitches that were never ever good but were good enough on certain days to make him unhittable. If Pelfrey has a very good sinker, a good fastball (which is assumed), then it's not that difficult to imagine him becoming a better version of Jon Garland.

I'd still take Pelfrey, so whatever.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 11:19 PM)

Jon Garland at least had an array of pitches to help keep batters off, even though that array of pitches were average-below average. Pelfrey only has a sinker. I saw him pitch a few times this summer, and when hitters realize he only has that sinker, Pelfrey will get rocked.

I'm not down on young pitchers, I call them how I see them. And right now, Pelfrey and Price aren't as good as they have been hyped up to be so far... This can change however with more coaching, etc.

Price has been hyped, but Pelfrey's stock really sank until he showed up this year and proved something... he can pitch in the big leagues. The kid has some massive drop to his sinker, has an ok fastball, and has at least one useable off-speed pitch (and I could see Coop teaching a cutter, or even a changeup).

Yeah, if you can get Pelf, which I don't think you can, you do it. A rotation with Pelfrey, Floyd, and Danks could be dangerous for a long time. Pelfrey and his sinker would actually be perfect for the Cell.

Edited by Steve9347

Pelfrey had a decent season over here actually, and seemed to be finally living up to some of his potential. That sinker would work well at the Cell also.

Not that the Mets would give him up. He's not arbitration eligible yet IIRC, so he's cheap, and Minaya wants pitching. I think he'd rather give up more highly rated prospects than Pelfrey at this point because that team pretty much HAS to make the playoffs next season, and they're not going to give up major league talent that'll hinder them from doing that.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
Pelfrey had a decent season over here actually, and seemed to be finally living up to some of his potential. That sinker would work well at the Cell also.

Not that the Mets would give him up. He's not arbitration eligible yet IIRC, so he's cheap, and Minaya wants pitching. I think he'd rather give up more highly rated prospects than Pelfrey at this point because that team pretty much HAS to make the playoffs next season, and they're not going to give up major league talent that'll hinder them from doing that.

Very good point.

Apparently Jenks' value is already dropping:

Rival clubs believe the White Sox would trade closer Bobby Jenks, but the glut of free-agent closers — combined with concerns over Jenks' weight, makeup, rising salaries and declining strikeout rates — will reduce the demand. Jenks was 30-for-34 in save opportunities with a career-best 2.63 ERA last season, but his strikeouts per nine innings have declined from 10.34 to 7.75 to 5.55 in his three full major-league seasons...

Link

Down in the Around the Horn section.

We see this rumor talk going around about trading Bobby Jenks and commenst about the Sox thinkig a kid at AA (Link) can step in and become the big league closer to replace Jenks. My thoughts on this is someone must have alot of time of their hands to dream, this stuff up. The Sox can'tg really be that far out are they?