Mets & White Sox Have Been Talking...

nitetrain8601

Comment by alex.242

2008-11-11 15:41:40

that’s what i said b4, the fact that they’re trading jenks is a lil bit of a red flag to me.. he’s young AND cheap.. something is not right here..

Comment by kingman 26

2008-11-11 15:44:00

Yeah…..he is pretty heavy, and his strikeouts have gone from 80 to 38 in 8 less innings over the last three years…seem like a couple of big fat red flags to me….

(Comments wont nest below this level)

Sh*t, they're on to us. Get it done Kenny!

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also find it interesting that the two teams that've been mentioned with Dye's name are both in the same division

Could Kenny be intentionally playing the Mets & Phils into a "Whoever gets there first, wins!"

I doubt it, but it's fun to think about

4) The White Sox won the AL Central Division last season. It seems odd that they would unload three important pieces for a package of prospects after winning the AL Central Division.

The Twins traded the best pitcher in baseball for players that didn't even impact their team and they were 1 game from making the playoffs. Anything is possible. Besides, dumping Dye and Jenks could free up money for some big move. Griffey??? :)

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
The Twins traded the best pitcher in baseball for players that didn't even impact their team and they were 1 game from making the playoffs. Anything is possible. Besides, dumping Dye and Jenks could free up money for some big move. Griffey??? :)

Serious? Let's also go after Thomas,Bonds,Maddux,P.martinez,R.Johnson and Ivan Rodriguez!

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 05:59 PM)

I seriesly, seriesly, SERIESLY hope you aren't being series at all.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
I seriesly, seriesly, SERIESLY hope you aren't being series at all.

I'm sure he's joking about Griffey,( although if they trade 2 of Dye, Konerko and Swisher, I wouldn't doubt Griffey gets an offer). but the Twins did trade their best pitcher and probably the best pitcher in baseball last winter and they also dealt probably their best young starter in Garza, and lost their best position player for draft picks and they got to a one game playoff with the White Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 07:30 PM)
But they also had that core of Liriano (sort of), Nathan, Cuddyer, Morneau and Joe Mauer returning...that's a pretty good place to start from.

Although, to their credit, they lose Hunter too, who many perceived as their unofficial team leader/spokesman/captain.

Cuddyer was hurt, played 71 games hitting .249 with 3 homers. Liriano was not the same as before. KW likes the Twins model. He sees his well paid veteran team go to Minnesota year after year expecting to lose every game they play there. They handle the Twins pretty well at USCF. I think the organization is in need of an attitude adjustment before heading to Minneapolis in the future.

This has nothing to do with the Twins.

We are not the Twins.

We are the White Sox.

What the Twins did they did out of financial necessity. What this is is not financial necessity, but rather to reposition the organization. The two things are entirely different. Not necessity. Strategery, as the great W would say.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)
Let's sell high on Danks too.

I'm not serious about that, but if some is dumb enough to offer a solid package or even better/expensive pitcher for Floyd, I say pull the trigger. He's still out of options so if he reverts to any but last year, he's going to get thrown in the BP.

If Buehrle does his best 2nd half of 2006 imitation all year, he'll probably get thrown to the bullpen too.

My theory about the Jenks rumor, it's smoke and mirrors by both KW and Minaya. Minaya is trying to bring down the price the free agents are asking. KW is trying to get Jenks to sign a long term deal. KW did the same thing when Garland, Garcia, Buehrle, Contreras, Vazquez were all nearing free agency. He shopped them and got them to extend, even at a discount.

Jenks could bring some talent back in return but he has been so solid it's hard to see KW trade him. Plus, like I've said many times on this board, the deals that are rumored with KW never happen. He's all about suprises.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 11:35 PM)
My theory about the Jenks rumor, it's smoke and mirrors by both KW and Minaya. Minaya is trying to bring down the price the free agents are asking. KW is trying to get Jenks to sign a long term deal. KW did the same thing when Garland, Garcia, Buehrle, Contreras, Vazquez were all nearing free agency. He shopped them and got them to extend, even at a discount.

Jenks could bring some talent back in return but he has been so solid it's hard to see KW trade him. Plus, like I've said many times on this board, the deals that are rumored with KW never happen. He's all about suprises.

From the Nov. 20th, 2005 Philadelphia Inquirer:

Thome left to wonder where he'll end up.(Jim Thome)

Byline: Jim Salisbury

CLEARWATER, Fla. _ Jim Thome wasn't even halfway through a three-hour workout, and already his gray T-shirt was soaked in sweat.

It was a little after 10 one recent morning, and the temperature was in the 80s on Florida's Gulf Coast. A lone groundskeeper was busy aerating the outfield grass at Bright House Networks Field, while Thome did conditioning exercises under the supervision of a trainer.

Lifting and bending, reaching and running, grunting and groaning. This was the easy part of Thome's day.

In a couple of hours, he would shower, grab some lunch and once again begin to wonder anxiously about the future, where he'd play his next baseball game, and who he'd play it for.

The Phillies?

The Indians?

The White Sox?

"There needs to be a resolution," said Thome, who could see himself playing for any one of these teams.

It almost seems unthinkable. Just three years after his signing electrified a lifeless baseball town, Jim Thome may have played his last game for the Phillies.

The slugging first baseman spent much of the 2005 season on the disabled list. Ryan Howard, long blocked by Thome, came up from the minors, hit 22 homers in 88 games, won the National League rookie of the year award, and enjoyed Thome-like popularity with the fans.

Howard's emergence means Thome could be traded. Thome is at peace with the possibility.

"I know how baseball works," he said. "I understand that, hey, it might be time for me to move on. That doesn't mean I want to. But that's just the reality of it."

Thome, who missed 103 games with back and elbow injuries, has been diligently rehabbing his body since having elbow surgery Aug. 16.

Trainer Jeff Cooper raves about Thome's physical condition. Indeed, the 35-year-old veteran looks firm and strong, ready to rebound from the nightmare that was 2005. The year started with the death of his mother, Joyce, and included his having to watch from the side as his teammates' reach for the playoffs came up one game short.

Thome was reluctant to be interviewed as the season wound down. He did not want his personal situation to distract the team. He did not want to come across as being anything but supportive of his replacement, Howard, whose ability and character he admires.

Only recently, with his name flying in trade rumors and the uncertainty of his future beginning to wear on him, did Thome agree to an interview.

In an hourlong conversation, Thome was reflective yet realistic. He spoke glowingly about Philadelphia fans, mentioning the unforgettable welcome the electricians of Local 98 gave him three years ago, and the tribute fans gave him after his 400th homer. He spoke of how much he cared for his teammates, especially Howard, and how much the dilemma that has linked them is weighing on his mind.

"Ryan's a good player and I'm a good player," Thome said. "I'm sure it's difficult on the organization. But there needs to be resolution. It's not fair to Ryan Howard's party. It's not fair to our party."

Recently, general manager Pat Gillick was asked who his opening-day first baseman would be, the guy with 430 homers, or the 2005 NL rookie of the year.

Gillick basically skirted the question, saying that it was the off-season and that there was no starting first baseman right now. Gillick also has said that chances of Howard converting to the outfield were "remote."

All this has led to a feeling around baseball that the Phillies have decided that the 26-year-old Howard, nine years Thome's junior, is their man.

Fair or not, Thome has detected this sentiment, and he can handle it. He got hurt. Howard shined. Let the pieces fall where they may.

"I'm a man," Thome said. "You're not going to hurt my feelings one way or another. If you think I'm older and my best years are behind me, that's OK. If you want to play Ryan Howard, that's OK. You don't win the rookie of the year without being a good player. I understand the business side of baseball."

Business is as much a part of baseball as first base, and there are serious business implications in the Thome/Howard dilemma.

Thome is owed $46 million the next three seasons. To trade him, the Phillies would have to absorb a good chunk of that money, at least half and maybe more, some baseball executives have said.

Thome also has a no-trade clause, meaning he must OK any deal.

"At the time I signed with the Phillies, I never even thought about the no-trade clause," Thome said. "I signed a six-year deal, and I honestly thought it would take me to retirement.

"But I am thinking about it now because my name is out there and they haven't said, `Jim Thome is our first baseman.' "

Thome has clear parameters on where he would be willing to go, should the Phillies present him with a trade possibility.

It would have to be an American League team, where he could be a designated hitter in addition to a first baseman.

It would have to be to a team with a chance of winning, because his championship desires are as strong as ever.

And, it probably has to be to a city close to his Midwest roots. He grew up in Illinois and has an off-season home outside of Cleveland.

"I can't pinpoint a team yet," Thome said. "But it would have to be close to home. Cleveland would be a place. Would it be the only place? No. Chicago would be there."

Thome played 12 seasons in Cleveland before signing with the Phillies for $85 million in December 2002. Last month, budget-conscious Indians management said Thome was not a fit for the team. But there are now indications that the Indians, who could be in the market for a first baseman, would rethink their position if the Phillies were to eat a significant amount of Thome's salary. Indians general manager Mark Shapiro did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment.

People close to the situation say the White Sox could make a play for Thome if they are unable to re-sign free agent Paul Konerko. Even if Konerko returns, the Sox could have interest in Thome as a DH.

Thome hit 89 homers his first two seasons with the Phillies. Last year, he hit just .207 with seven homers in 59 games.

Thome is loath to make excuses for his performance, but admits that he was hurt from day one. He says he should have given his strained back longer to heal in spring training. He is not sure how he damaged the flexor tendon in his right elbow, but he knows he couldn't bear the pain of throwing anymore, and having surgery in August was a must if he wanted to be ready for spring training.

Throughout his struggles, Thome heard all the rumblings. He heard people say he couldn't turn on a fastball anymore. He heard some people speculate that he may have been experiencing steroid withdrawal.

"I never doubted my ability," Thome said. "It was just frustrating that I didn't have my true ability because I was hurt."

As for the steroid accusations?

"Laughable," Thome said. "I've heard all that stuff and people have asked me about it. Here's what I tell them _ go look at my family photo. Everybody in my family is big. If I ever took a steroid, I'd blow up so much I wouldn't be able to swing a bat. I've never even taken a supplement in my life."

Despite his uncertain future, Thome has no regrets coming to Philadelphia. He says he has enjoyed his time here and is forever grateful for the support the fans have given him.

"Philly has been great to me," he said. "The people have been great to me. If I have to leave, hopefully I'd be lucky enough to go to another city that would treat me as well as Philly has."

___

© 2005, The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Thome was traded 5 days later. I'm sure there's more but these things are hard to find.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 11:04 PM)
From the Nov. 20th, 2005 Philadelphia Inquirer:

Thome was traded 5 days later. I'm sure there's more but these things are hard to find.

KW's out to get the best deal for the team, and if that's the move no one knows or the move that's widely published about, he's going to do it.

Ok, I found one more. Toni Ginnetti in the Dec. 14th, 2005 Chicago Sun Times wrote: "Sox rumored to be interested in Arizona Diamondbacks right-hander Javier Vazquez", you have to pay for the full article so this will have to do. Javy was traded a few days later.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 05:17 AM)
Ok, I found one more. Toni Ginnetti in the Dec. 14th, 2005 Chicago Sun Times wrote: "Sox rumored to be interested in Arizona Diamondbacks right-hander Javier Vazquez", you have to pay for the full article so this will have to do. Javy was traded a few days later.

http://mlb.mlb.com/content/printer_friendl...13/c1281555.jsp

There are also a bunch linking us to Griffey, though that was in seasons past. I found plenty of things linking us to AJP between 04-05 too. I'm sure there is more if anyone wants to look around.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 07:07 PM)
Mets fans:

hardy har har.

Jesus Christ.

3 Major League players: one an MVP candidate, another a solid #3/#4 starter who provides 200IP and around 200K each year, and a young closer who has been among the very best in baseball since his arrival, all for...

Three halfway-decent prospects, none of them top prospects, and two complete pieces of s***. I'm sure Kenny would be all over that. Are Mets fans like the New York version of Cubs fans? The Yanks fans seem to be the more intelligent group.

f*** those idiot Mets fans. Those four players would be needed just to get some team to take on Luis Castillo and pay his piece of s*** ass for the next three years.

I think that the Mets are not the best fit for Jenks in regards to matching up needs with the Sox, I think that marketing him to the Mets could raise his value to a team like the Braves who have a gaping whole in the closers role as well, but it will depend what their team looks like after Peavy is traded.

Any deal to the Mets including Jenks needs to return Kunz to the Sox. If for nothing more than a trade chip to make another deal. A Kunz Martinez package would proabaly be suitable, but Martinez is not major league ready and is least a full season if not 2 away from being able to contribute to the ML club. The Mets dont have much in the way of non ML players that would be very interesting for the Sox.

Beltrans salary and agent makes a deal for him unlikely and he would need to bat second in the lineup the way it is currently constructed, which would mean we still have to make a deal to find a 2b who can lead off.

I think this is a smoke screen to raise the value of players involved and give teams leverage in signing free agents. I think there is a possibility that the Sox will move Jenks, Vaz, Dye, and Kong in separate deals, but probably not to Mets.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
The Padres need a closer now. Do they have anyone worth trading for?

A pretty good starting pitcher.

Gotta think KW would just love to trump the Cubs on acquiring Peavy.

Edited by scenario