Vital Statistics

Name: Jeff Marquez

Position: Starting Pitcher

DOB: August 10, 1984

Height: 6' 2"

Weight: 190

Bats: Right

Throws: Right

Although the selection of Jeff Marquez seemed to come out of nowhere in 2004, the Yankees have shown that they go to no limits in their player scouting. Marquez was a late bloomer at Sacramento City College and credits his development to the coaching staff there. In fact, Marquez entered the school as a 145 pound freshman who got zero attention from scouts out of high school. “Going to a good college program really helped me a lot,” said Marquez. “They really helped me with my mechanics and getting stronger and helped me a lot as an all around pitcher.” He made a wise choice, electing to redshirt his first year there in order to get stronger and build up for the 2004 season. It ended up being one of the best career moves a player could make. Marquez went on to have a dominating 2004 campaign and suddenly the Yankees were hot on his trail after he had pushed himself onto the draft day radar screen.

The Yankees did take Marquez, 41st overall in the draft in fact. And, it didn't take long for him to prove his worth. He was sent to the GCL where, as a 19 year old, he was simply dominating. After a few appearances, he had to be sent to Staten Island. Yet again, he put on an outstanding show. However, he admittedly wore down near season's end. "I think I might have been a little tired physically and mentally," Marquez told PinstripesPlus.com. "But, my arm wasn't really tired. But, not to make excuses, but in my last two starts, I really hated the mounds I pitched on. It was in Williamsport and Jamestown. One of my starts it was raining and I kind of lost it. I got a little frustrated with everything going on around me. I don't usually get frustrated but I think I was wearing down a little bit. Once I got to mini-camp I kind of got a new start." Not only did he get his fresh start in mini-camp but a huge vote of confidence from the organization as well.

When Jeff Marquez arrived in Tampa after the season ended, he was a bit deflated by his slow end to the season. But, that changed quickly once he spoke with pitching coordinator, Nardi Contreras. "Marquez just has the look of a real fast mover in this system and just a very good pitcher," Contreras told PinstripesPlus.com. "He is the type of guy that would fit right in there with that changeup he has. He has three established pitches and he is a really determined kid. He pushes hard to move to the next level and I think he'll be pitching in their rotation come 2005. He just showed us a lot when he came to mini-camp this year. He held up nicely health wise for a first year player and showed that he made the necessary adjustments when he needed to. If he shows more of that in Spring Training next year, I think he'll be in Tampa to start the season." A statement such as this shows a tremendous amount of confidence from the organization and Marquez sure appreciates the praise. "We had a long talk about that," the sinker baller said. "Here's basically what he told me. He was like if you keep doing what you're doing now, you are going to move faster through this system than you can possibly imagine. He said he was really impressed by me. It made me feel good to know they thought so highly of me." Look for Jeff to a big part of the Tampa Yankee staff in 2005 as a 20 year old.

Repertoire. Two-seam fastball, Four-seam fastball, Changeup, Curveball

Fastball. As even Jeff Marquez says, he is not a power pitcher. That is simply not what he is all about. However, he can still bring it with some good heat. Marquez's fastball is usually in the low 90's and topping out around 94 MPH. He does have what some would call a power fastball, but his fastball is used more so to get groundballs. He chooses to rely on the location and command of his two seam sinking fastball. He will get a lot of ground balls using that pitch. He sets up his two seam fastball with a riding four seam fastball. The four seam fastball, which he was able to develop in mini-camp, is going to be an enormous weapon for him. Now, he will be able to change a hitter's eye level, going up in the zone with the four seam and down with his nasty sinker. Expect Jeff to add even a little more heat in the coming years when he adds more bulk to his frame. Then, he will be one of the rare yet devastating power sinker ball pitchers.

Other Pitches. Besides the sinker, the pitch he bases his game around, Jeff Marquez also possesses another truly dominating pitch. That pitch is his changeup. A true power changeup, it is used as his best strikeout pitch and he can make hitters look foolish at the plate. To put it in perspective, this changeup is where his comparisons to Pedro Martinez stem from. They are different style pitchers but by the time Marquez makes it to the show, his changeup could be one of the or the best in the game. Not to mention, he really has found a feel for it and knows just the right situations to spring it on the hitter. It is definitely his best weapon in his arsenal. Jeff also possesses a curveball, but he calls that his worst pitch even though it is not all that bad. It is a solid curveball but he uses it more as a show me pitch.

Pitching. There is no better way to describe Jeff Marquez than a classic sinker ball pitcher. However, he is a very special kind of sinker ball pitcher. He is a guy who throws the ball with above average velocity and plus movement on his sinker. Right now he is not your typical strikeout pitcher but just by picking up some extra velocity with maturity, he could develop into one. But, his game is groundball outs, broken bats and weak hacks. He can make those weak hacks happen with his devastating changeup. Marquez has excellent command of his fastball and changeup but he is simply just learning to bring a little bit more of a breaking ball to the table with him. He takes an aggressive approach on the mound and he has the attitude that he can't be beat by anyone.

Projection. If you take the Yankee organization's word for it, the sky is the limit for Jeff Marquez. Although he may not be the ideal number one starter on a staff, Marquez still has the potential to be a tremendous number two type of starter. But, if he can get a little stronger, he may be able to become that ace material type of starter. He has two dominating pitches to work around with his sinker and his changeup. The Yankees are looking for him to fly through the system perhaps faster than any other pitcher despite his young age. He seems like the ideal type of Yankee pitcher, someone that can get up there quick and help just as fast.

ETA. 2007. We have now heard how fast the Yankees expect Marquez to get through the Yankee Farm System and this ETA reflects that notion. In 2005, the Yankees will likely have Marquez spend the full season at high A Tampa as Nardi Contreras told us he would. Then, in 2006, he should begin the season in AA Trenton. And, since the Yankees plan to move him aggressively, he has a good chance of being sent to AAA Columbus later in the season. After that, he has an excellent chance of breaking into the big leagues sometime during the 2007 season.

While there has been considerable debate as to whether Jeff Marquez projects as a back-of-the-rotation starter or a bullpen arm, BA sees his value as a “workhorse groundball machine who fills the No. 3 or No. 4 spot in the rotation.”

Jeff Marquez’ Repetoire:

Four-Seamer: low to mid-90s, downward plane, good command

Sinker: 89-93 mph, excellent run and sink, primary pitch

Changeup: solid-average pitch, primary secondary offering

Curveball: least-polished pitch, struggles to keep near the zone

According to BA's 2008 prospect handbook, Marquez has the best pickoff move by any right hander in the system. He doesn’t possess a true strikeout pitch and often relies on the defense behind him.

While the approach often draws comparison to Wang, Marquez is a much different pitcher. Whereas Wang throws most of his offerings hard, Marquez varies his speeds.

"He's relatively pitch-efficient, so if he's commanding well, he is a guy who can get through six, seven innings with 80 pitches or so," Trenton pitching coach Scott Aldred told cbssportsline.com. "He doesn't labor through a lot of innings because he forces hitters to make contact early."

Development/Progress: -- Jeff Marquez’ Career Stats --

Marquez saw action in both the Gulf Coast League and the NY-Penn League after signing in 2004. After surrendering less than a hit-per-inning, New York pushed him to Charleston. He made 27 starts for the RiverDogs, going 9-13 despite a 3.42 ERA. Marquez ranked second on the team to Chase Wright in wins, innings pitched (139 2/3), and strikeouts (107).

In 2006, Marquez' season was interrupted when a shoulder strain sidelined the righty for July. He logged 92 innings for Tampa and posted a 3.61 ERA.

Promoted to Double-A Trenton for 2007, Marquez earned Eastern League All-Star honors. Marquez went 15-9 with a 3.65 ERA for the Thunder, leading the league wins (15). The emerging workhorse tossed 155 1/3 innings (second most in the EL) and threw two complete games.

Baseball America Prospect Rankings: 2006 - #9, 2007 - #12, 2008 - #7

Edited by Steve9347

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 11, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
Great trade then wasn't it?

We got Swisher off the books, got Betemit who can be a contributor offensively and a couple prospects who may or may not pan out, and used the money for Viciedo who still has loads of talent. I think it was an OK deal.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
We got Swisher off the books, got Betemit who can be a contributor offensively and a couple prospects who may or may not pan out, and used the money for Viciedo who still has loads of talent. I think it was an OK deal.

Swisher's average is starting to dive and his K rate is rising. I'm with you, Marquez and Nunez, if they turn into anything, are gravy. Financial relief and Betemit is a good deal IMO.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 11, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
When did Boers talk about this? It doesn't shock me though, he looked like piss when I saw him pitch.

Today, not long before I posted that.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 11, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Today, not long before I posted that.

What was the context of it? Or is he just making that assumption since the Sox didn't call him up and instead opted for Richard to make the start this week?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 11, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
What was the context of it? Or is he just making that assumption since the Sox didn't call him up and instead opted for Richard to make the start this week?

Dan stated that it was too bad Marquez wasn't coming up and Terry said he was hurt, and then stated that "his White Sox people" say that the organization doesn't see him as a major leaguer. It was not his opinion. He said it was the view of people in the organization. Again, TIFWIW.

The Score posts their audio on the website. The comment should either be in the first hour of B&B or early in the second hour. It isn't posted yet, but it will be eventually.

Edited by G&T

Since when does Boers know the first thing about baseball?

He's entertaining, but not exactly a fountain of baseball knowledge.

And IMO, he knows less about the WhiteSox than the average Cubs forum poster.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (flavum @ May 11, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
Boers was just repeating what he heard from somebody in the Sox organization. It wasn't based on his own observations.

Actually, Boers just says things he thinks will increase the number of phone calls and listeners... whether there is any basis in fact is irrelevant. Might sound like I'm being overly critical and/or cynical. But that's not my intent.

I like Boers (and Bernstein). I just don't have alot of respect for their baseball knowledge.

Football? Absolutely! They cover football well. Very knowledgeable.

But IMO, their sports IQ drops about 50 points when they start talking baseball. It's the one part of their show I find myself turning the channel more often than not.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (G&T @ May 11, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
Dan stated that it was too bad Marquez wasn't coming up and Terry said he was hurt, and then stated that "his White Sox people" say that the organization doesn't see him as a major leaguer. It was not his opinion. He said it was the view of people in the organization. Again, TIFWIW.

The Score posts their audio on the website. The comment should either be in the first hour of B&B or early in the second hour. It isn't posted yet, but it will be eventually.

Awesome, thanks for the info on that. I personally agree and it seemed consistent with what I heard in minor league camp (not that I heard everything, but I did hear scouts talking about guys they were excited about and didn't hear Marquez name come up). Again, just because his name isn't brought up doesn't mean anything but it at least is consistent with what Boers is apparently hearing.

In early September of 2007 Terry said that the following players, according to his sources, would not be back with the White Sox:

Pods, Cintron, Uribe, Hall, Aardsma, Sisco, Garland, Macdougal.

Hardly a controversial list. But he was right about Pods, Cintron, Aardsma, Sisco, and Garland. By most accounts, they wanted Uribe gone, but didn't have anyone else (Cabrera) in place until after the deadline to resign him.

This doesn't prove that he has decent White Sox sources at all, but it is a little data point. I don't think saying anything about Jeff Marquez would get listeners or callers riled up. I don't think he has any incentive to make that up.

Wait, I thought Swisher's contract was a deal for such a young player who put up a 120 OPS+ in a pitcher's park. :unsure:

The fact is we could've receieved a lot more for Swisher and would've still benefited if he was still on the team.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 11, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
Wait, I thought Swisher's contract was a deal for such a young player who put up a 120 OPS+ in a pitcher's park. :unsure:

The fact is we could've receieved a lot more for Swisher and would've still benefited if he was still on the team.

I'm falling into that camp. I hate Swisher but the Sox got little value in that trade and that is coming from someone that doesn't like Betemeit a whole ton since he can't play defense and the Sox already have a zillion jurassic so called Dh's. Albeit, I don't exactly like our DH's, haha (but we won't debate that Santo). The Sox clearly wanted to dump Swishers contract this off-season but I think they could have gotten better value prospect wise.

That said I loved getting Swisher and don't really miss him either but he'd be a s***ton better than what the Sox have been putting out in CF.

Swisher's average is starting to dive and his K rate is rising. I'm with you, Marquez and Nunez, if they turn into anything, are gravy. Financial relief and Betemit is a good deal IMO.

The problem is KW put himself in a position for financial relief by paying a premium price. Is it really a good idea to sell a possesion of yours due to buyer's remorse?

The spin job on Marquez when he was acquired was a joke.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 11, 2009 -> 06:01 PM)

LOL @ the bolded. I love statements like that. You cannot possibly know that for a "fact", and in any case it is highly unlikely. Why on earth would KW intentionally try to get less for him? Makes zero sense.

LOL @ the bolded. I love statements like that. You cannot possibly know that for a "fact", and in any case it is highly unlikely. Why on earth would KW intentionally try to get less for him? Makes zero sense.

He didn't try to get less for him, he sold low. He was in Ozzie's doghouse and he wanted him out of here.

If the Sox didn't sell low and/or get ripped off for Swisher than they WAY overpaid for Swisher than initially thought.

Swisher was a prime candidate to bounce back to his normal numbers which are worth well more than $6 million per season, or the combination of a butcher of a fielder, a worthless AAA pitcher, and some AA pitcher who is now struggling.

This is coming from someone who wanted Swisher off the team.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 12, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
He didn't try to get less for him, he sold low. He was in Ozzie's doghouse and he wanted him out of here.

If the Sox didn't sell low and/or get ripped off for Swisher than they WAY overpaid for Swisher than initially thought.

Swisher was a prime candidate to bounce back to his normal numbers which are worth well more than $6 million per season, or the combination of a butcher of a fielder, a worthless AAA pitcher, and some AA pitcher who is now struggling.

This is coming from someone who wanted Swisher off the team.

Awesome post. When the trade happened, it seemed like a bad trade. After seeing how awful Marquez is, seems even worse. When you see an injury to minor players like Brian Anderson cause our lineup to look terrible, that's when you get mad at KW for not acquiring enough MLB caliber players in these deals.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2009 -> 02:28 PM)
Awesome post. When the trade happened, it seemed like a bad trade. After seeing how awful Marquez is, seems even worse. When you see an injury to minor players like Brian Anderson cause our lineup to look terrible, that's when you get mad at KW for not acquiring enough MLB caliber players in these deals.

So let's see, we're supposed to get back incredibly talented, MLB caliber, cheap players by trading away a guy who was just flat out awful for us and who has a contract we're trying to get rid of...and it's KW's fault for not making this happen.

Who's responsible for acquiring Swisher in the first place?

But I think Ozzie has some blame because he ultimately controls the lineup and did not want Cabrera or Swisher back for the 2009 season.