Nationals to Offer $200M to Teixeira?

G&T

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 08:32 AM)
Reading the entire article

The Nats don't have money to make a play for Manny, but are front runners for Teixeira? :lolhitting

If Boras would represent me, I'd hire him in a minute. Hello Grad School with a $100,000 guarantee and no TA load :lol:

One player doesn't work on a small or medium payroll, this isn't basketball. No matter if he's "worth" $20 mil per year or not.

With a new ballpark and potentially a solid-looking fanbase there in D.C. (I think lobbyists will survive the economic downturn quite well), they probably have a decent amount of money to spend if they want to.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
I think Tex is a nice poster and all but I would never give him 20 million a year let alone for 10 years. Id offer more around the 14-16 million range especially if Im going to give him that 10 year security blanket.

Thanks. :P I know y'all like my posts and all

I just don't think first basemen, unless they're Albert Pujols or Lou Gehrig -- incidentally, Pujols is on pace to be a much greater player than Gehrig, when all's said and done -- deserve all that money. They're first basemen! Teix hits well for extra bases but his career line is inflated by Texas and he's losing homerun power, however young he is. I just don't see where all this "Oh, Mark Teixeira!" swooning comes from by GMs.

And I don't think Carlos Lee deserved a 100 million dollar contract, either.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
incidentally, Pujols is on pace to be a much greater player than Gehrig, when all's said and done -- deserve all that money.

Pujols will never be greater than Gehrig until he averages 140-150 RBI a season for 8 straight seasons.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 04:55 PM)
Pujols will never be greater than Gehrig until he averages 140-150 RBI a season for 8 straight seasons.

Yep and just as soon as you get him in the middle of a lineup with 5 other Hall of Famers (1 of which is Babe Ruth) on a team with a .380 OBP he'll do just that.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
Yep and just as soon as you get him in the middle of a lineup with 5 other Hall of Famers (1 of them being Babe Ruth) on a team with a .380 OBP he'll do just that.

Pujols would have had 200 RBI in a season with that lineup. If he had ANY protection, he'd average 160.

I think the greatest stat about Pujols is his K numbers. He is not only one of the best power hitters in the league, but he doesn't K a billion times a year like other power hitters. Between 50-60 K's for a player now a days is incredibly low for any type of hitter. He's no Joe DiMaggio though... Also, I love that Pujols doesn't sacrifice average for power like a lot of hitters.

It amazes me that a lot of people don't see him as the best player in baseball still.

As for Tex, he is a great player as well. However, I'm trying to figure out how he hits lefties with his right handed stance/approach. If I were him, I'd stick to only lefty, but for some reason he still put up as good, if not better splits, right handed.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 12:17 PM)
With a new ballpark and potentially a solid-looking fanbase there in D.C. (I think lobbyists will survive the economic downturn quite well), they probably have a decent amount of money to spend if they want to.

I know you're probably joking here but a large chunk of the DC job market is gov't employees and contractors. That would include me.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)
Some things are more important than money, one of them is not playing for an organization like the Nats.

They won't be terrible forever. Offering lol money to someone could also attract pieces that wouldn't have even considered the thought of playing for the Nats. My gut, and if I were a Nats front office type would be to throw such sums around, but not at Tex. If say for instance Manny were 3, even 2 years younger I wouldn't wait one second before I made him an offer he couldn't refuse, on this, the day of my daughters wedding. I haven't looked at any numbers so my shot in the dark opinion that he'll be Paul Konerko two years before Paul Konerko became Paul Konerko (sans that one s***show season). I would look elsewhere to throw Ft. Knox at someone if I were the Nats... I would look long and hard because a good major FA signing would work wonders in terms of accelerating their future. If they were set to throw gold at someone, and Soriano was locked up for a few more years, that would be a pristine situation to work with as a GM. You need pitching? Worst comes to worst flip Alf for some, and use the economy that you were going to indulge Tex in on two guys instead of one. There are/were many ways out of their hole. I don't think they'll be bottom dwellers for *too* much longer. f*** Hendry for offering an asanine deal to Soriano...It could have gotten interesting in our nation's capitol.