Pedroia wins AL MVP

RME JICO

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

NEW YORK (AP)—Boston Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia has won the American League Most Valuable Player award.

Pedroia got 16 of the 28 first-place votes and easily beat out Minnesota slugger Justin Morneau.

Pedroia became the first AL second baseman to win the award since Nellie Fox in 1959.

Five players drew first-place votes. Record-setting closer Francisco Rodriguez got one of them and finished sixth overall.

18th in the AL for OPS. Not even the MVP for the Sawks.

CQ 5th with zero 1st Place votes, Dye 15th.

Edited by RME JICO

pedroia is a hell of a ballplayer.....one of the worst years i can remember for MVP candidates in a long time though...I thought he wasn't even the best player on his team though....at least pedroia is a great fielder, which should count for something even though it doesn't

Pedroia Avg - .326

Kinsler Avg - .319

Pedroia HR - 17

Kinsler HR - 18

Pedroia RBI - 83

Kinsler RBI - 71

Pedroia SB - 20

Kinsler SB - 26

Pedroia OPS - .869

Kinsler OPS - .892

Pedroia - 317 MVP Points

Kinsler - 1 10th Place Vote

The biggest difference may have been games played, 157 for Pedroia and 121 for Kinsler

Was Pedroia even the Best Second Baseman in the AL?

Edited by pcullotta

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
Pedroia Avg - .326

Kinsler Avg - .319

Pedroia HR - 17

Kinsler HR - 18

Pedroia RBI - 83

Kinsler RBI - 71

Pedroia SB - 20

Kinsler SB - 26

Pedroia OPS - .869

Kinsler OPS - .892

Pedroia - 317 MVP Points

The biggest difference may have been games played, 157 for Pedroia and 121 for Kinsler

Prove to me that Kinsler maintains that pace over his next 35 games.

Also, based on pure runs created, Pedroia was tied for the 3rd best offensive player in the AL (I don't like the statistic, but it atleast gives some counting statistics that means something). You are using sample size, and if sample size is taken out and all numbers are extrapolated out to a full regular season, Quentin would have almost undoubtedly run away with the award and the Sox almost certainly wouldn't have played 163 games.

To answer your question, yes, Pedroia was the best 2Bman in the AL.

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
Pedroia Avg - .326

Kinsler Avg - .319

Pedroia HR - 17

Kinsler HR - 18

Pedroia RBI - 83

Kinsler RBI - 71

Pedroia SB - 20

Kinsler SB - 26

Pedroia OPS - .869

Kinsler OPS - .892

Pedroia - 317 MVP Points

If the award was called Best Second Basemen he may not have won, but prolly still would have. Also unlike what happened in the NL this award goes to the most valuable player. Pujols did help his team and without him they would have been horrible but the award shouldnt just go to the best player in the league. Pedroia really went on a tear during the dog days of summer and really helped the red sox keep pace with the rays and the twins in the wild card. He deserves this compared to the rest of the field. Also im happy a guy whose only 5'9" won an MVP which is pretty cool.

I think I'm going to vomit.

I look at an MVP as, "who scares the other team the most?" When Pujols came to the plate, teams were f***ed. Same with Morneau. Sure, the Twins didn't win the division, but they came as close as you can behind two bats and a bunch of over-worked arms. When Morneau came up, you knew you were in trouble. Teams game-planned around him.

Pedroia was the 3rd to 7th scariest bat on his team. He's probably the worst MVP I've seen in my lifetime. I'd rather it have gone to Youkilis than Pedroia.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
You are using sample size

Just to clarify, I didn't take a "sample size." Those were Kinsler's season total numbers. I did not extrapolate anything. I don't think Kinsler should have won the MVP, I just think that Pedroia winning it is a joke.

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
Just to clarify, I didn't take a "sample size." Those were Kinsler's season total numbers. I did not extrapolate anything. I don't think Kinsler should have won the MVP, I just think that Pedroia winning it is a joke.

It is sample size argument though, because Kinsler played in 36 fewer games. He was also terrible in the second half of the season before going down with an injury. Also, offensively, though Kinsler was probably better in the time he was on the field, he was also a worse defender than Pedroia was. Overall, Pedroia was about the 3rd most valuable player in the AL this year, and the two who were more valuable were Sizemore and ARod, so it makes atleast a little bit of sense as to why they'd give it to Pedroia.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)

I look at an MVP as, "who scares the other team the most?" When Pujols came to the plate, teams were f***ed. Same with Morneau. Sure, the Twins didn't win the division, but they came as close as you can behind two bats and a bunch of over-worked arms. When Morneau came up, you knew you were in trouble. Teams game-planned around him.

Pedroia was the 3rd to 7th scariest bat on his team. He's probably the worst MVP I've seen in my lifetime. I'd rather it have gone to Youkilis than Pedroia.

Unless of course it was September.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)

You said exactly what I was thinking, thank you. No one is that scared of Pedroia, and I know how he played against us. I'd still rather have him up there than Manny, Ortiz, Youkilis, I think even J.D. Drew scares me more. Screw Pedroia.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
Without Morneau, god knows where the Twins would have ended up. Probably behind the Tigers. He's the AL MVP in my mind.

How s***ty your team is should have no affect on the award.

If Pujols was on the Pirates, he should have still won the MVP.

Without Morneau, god knows where the Twins would have ended up. Probably behind the Tigers. He's the AL MVP in my mind.

Mauer handled the young pitching staff, won a gold glove and a silver slugger. He's more valuable.

Where would the Sox have finished without Quentin? Behind the Tigers?

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
Pedroia Avg - .326

Kinsler Avg - .319

Pedroia HR - 17

Kinsler HR - 18

Pedroia RBI - 83

Kinsler RBI - 71

Pedroia SB - 20

Kinsler SB - 26

Pedroia OPS - .869

Kinsler OPS - .892

Pedroia - 317 MVP Points

Pedroia was also third in the AL in VORP behind A-Rod and Sizemore. Kinsler was no slouch himself, ending the season eighth. Meanwhile, Justin Morneau was 12th, finishing behind teammate (and more valuable player) Joe Mauer and Carlos Quentin, who missed the last month of the season.

Morneau is a joke of an MVP candidate and its an embarrassment that he was 2nd in voting, almost as much as him winning in 2006 was.