Tipping

jasonxctf

the waiters and waitresses and even pizza guys, i understand. even though i think their employers should pay them a fair wage in the first place, not requiring me to pay them 80% of their income. i'd rather pay $8 for a burger w/o tipping versus $6 for one and have to tip.

i forgot about the bathroom guys, man they drive me insane.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
I pretty much tip 20% all the time. Even if I've been like where the f*** is the waiter/waitress or something during dinner....when the check comes I still always give the same. I agree with the paper towel thing too....it's just a F-up situation because they take all the towels so you have to take theirs....then it's like I'm supposed to give you something...It's like you're being strong armed and then when I'm on my 5th piss of the night, I feel bad and end up giving them a buck.

The thing I hate doing, but I always do anyway is tip the bartender when they get me a beer. You're f***in back there behind the bar to serve drinks...you turned around pulled a beer out of a cooler and handed it to me...here's your money and dollar tip.

If that 20% isn't deserved, they don't get it. Yet, I almost always tip the bartender a buck to grabbing me a beer. It tends to get me prompt service the next time I need one.

Have to add here though. A waiter/waitress has to pretty damn bad not get 20% from me.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 02:21 PM)
Here's one for everyone............tipping bartenders

When Im out, I can easily drink 15-20 beers and usually feel comfortable with a dollar tip everytime I order a drink. That just seems high to me though.

With the cost of a beer varying, its tough to know what to tip.

That's why I'd much rather run a tab. 25 or 30% doesn't seem so bad under those circumstances.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)

When Im out, I can easily drink 15-20 beers and usually feel comfortable with a dollar tip everytime I order a drink. That just seems high to me though.

From about beer #12 on, that dollar is a Thank You for keeping the beers coming and not bringing out the "overserved" spiel.

:P

I usually tip 20% on things that are customary for tipping.

Exceptions are bar tenders (I usually just give $1 for a drink or two, more than that I start giving more), cab drivers ($1 tip for rides I normally take, if the cab some how got me there faster/cheaper then what normally happens I just have them keep the rest so it may go up to almost $2), towel guys at bar ($0 I didnt ask for your help so dont expect me to pay).

Carry out I dont tip on, I dont tip unless there is a person providing service and you are tipping that specific person. If a single person prepared the entire carry out order and the tip was just for them, I would maybe tip. But usually it just seems like youre tipping the restaurant which is the exact opposite purpose of the tip.

People who deserve tips the most are the ones who get screwed on their normal pay because they are in a job that customarily gets tips.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
Carry out I dont tip on, I dont tip unless there is a person providing service and you are tipping that specific person. If a single person prepared the entire carry out order and the tip was just for them, I would maybe tip. But usually it just seems like youre tipping the restaurant which is the exact opposite purpose of the tip.

At most places I worked the host or hostess received the tip.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
the waiters and waitresses and even pizza guys, i understand. even though i think their employers should pay them a fair wage in the first place, not requiring me to pay them 80% of their income. i'd rather pay $8 for a burger w/o tipping versus $6 for one and have to tip.

i forgot about the bathroom guys, man they drive me insane.

But if you do that, where is the incentive for wait staff to give you good service?

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
My biggest conundrum is what to do when doing carryout. There is a fair amount of work that goes into taking the order, placing it, and wrapping it all up with the extras, etc. I still wouldn't have ever thought of tipping if I wasn't compelled to by the tip line when signing my credit card slip. I do 10% but I get s*** from the wife everytime. What's the proper etiquette here?

The first time I got carry-out from a real restaurant (not pizza) I asked what people do. She said that some people tip and some don't, but it didn't seem like a big deal. I, at most, leave a couple bucks. Unless it's a big order I see no need.

Let's face it, all they are doing is bagging it. If I tip for that, then I'd have to tip at the grocery store too.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
Do/did you work in a tipped position? If not, what is your incentive to do your job well?

I must quote office space here...

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?

Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.

Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?

Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.

Bob Slydell: Eight?

Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

Really, what's anyone's motivation for doing their job well besides fear of getting fired?

I make a crap salary and my company is going to be gone in about 2 years so I have even less motivation. Now if I started getting tips based on people receiving their magazines on time, I might work harder...

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 04:37 PM)
I must quote office space here...

Really, what's anyone's motivation for doing their job well besides fear of getting fired?

I make a crap salary and my company is going to be gone in about 2 years so I have even less motivation. Now if I started getting tips based on people receiving their magazines on time, I might work harder...

Well I'm salaried, but my annual pay increase is based off performance, if I suck, then I get a sucky/nonexistent raise. :huh

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)

The tip might be the difference between being put on the street while drunk or being put in a cab while drunk.

I like to stick to 20% for normal to good service and around 15% if bad. Circumstances might differ because sometimes service might not be that great, but the place might be really busy and they just can't keep up. One thing I do notice though is when I tip 20% when I'm with people I've been told its too much so a lot of people still tip at about 15%.

I also agree $1 per drink can get expensive when drinks are already 8 bucks on the norm.

Tipping delivery is a must.

What about the restaurant where you walk in, order at a counter, then go sit down. A waitress then brings your food out to you. You are responsible for your own drinks and everything other than the waitress bringing you your food.

Do you tip there? If you say "yes", then do you tip at a Culvers? I'm asking because everybody I work with tips at this place (it is NOT a Culvers) and I am still not sure if you should.