Obsessed with (the lack of) Sox off-season moves?

shipps

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 02:57 AM)
Hot stove action is definitely lots of fun to watch and track. Bonus points for anyone who can tell me why it's called "Hot Stove" for baseball offseason.

The expression comes from the image of people sitting around a hot wood or coal burning stove in the old days, talking about baseball as they long for spring.

Basically the whole off-season is in a flux right now until Teixeira signs.

After that, I think things are definitely going to pick up, and it could make for a very interesting January around here, to see if we sign the likes of Abreu etc.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
Basically the whole off-season is in a flux right now until Teixeira signs.

After that, I think things are definitely going to pick up, and it could make for a very interesting January around here, to see if we sign the likes of Abreu etc.

He's supposed to decide today. Indications are its Boston.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
The expression comes from the image of people sitting around a hot wood or coal burning stove in the old days, talking about baseball as they long for spring.

Good thing we aren't all in Alaska then. That's all we would do is sit around a hot stove talking baseball and waiting for the Eskimo League to begin :lol:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
He's supposed to decide today. Indications are its Boston.

Yeah I saw that.

Makes the most sense for him.

The Yanks may end up in 3rd place in the AL East again which would be absolutely hilarious after the contracts they gave Sabathia and Burnett.

My guess is Hank Steinbrenner is desperate to sign Manny to counter the Tex signing.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)
Yeah I saw that.

Makes the most sense for him.

The Yanks may end up in 3rd place in the AL East again which would be absolutely hilarious after the contracts they gave Sabathia and Burnett.

My guess is Hank Steinbrenner is desperate to sign Manny to counter the Tex signing.

That division is going to be so brutal (in a good way). Just glad we don't have to deal with those teams anymore than 6 times a piece.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 12:05 AM)
What moves? We've been too quiet regarding guys who can contribute this coming season.

We need to make an eye opening deal. Oz is going to implode if our lineup is station to station again with the same cast of characters this year.

It'll happen when it happens. Or not.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
I'm not excited at all. This has been the most boring offseason of all time. Maybe it's because it appears that we will cut $20 mil in payroll. What's so exciting about that?

It should be moves in quotes. Offseason "moves" because activity has grinded to a halt.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
I'm not excited at all. This has been the most boring offseason of all time. Maybe it's because it appears that we will cut $20 mil in payroll. What's so exciting about that?

I must say the lack of activity heading into January has been a little troubling. But like Rock said, other than the NY teams, who else is out there making moves? Nobody in our division has done anything. I also don't think a lot of fans took Kenny seriously when he said he had no problem going with in-house guys (oh that's just a typical smokescreen, ect) if it came down to it. I think it's time for Sox fans to come to the realization, for better or worse, that Jerry Owens, Josh Fields, Chris Getz, Clayton Richard and Jeff Marquez will have to play prominent roles if we're to be successful in 2009.

Edited by Jordan4life

I dont think it is worth it to start another thread on this but MLBtraderumors.com is looking at 2010 Options and their take on the White Sox is as follows:

Today let's take a look at the 2010 options - there are 36 of them, as far as I can tell. Do you agree with these groupings?

Likely To Be Exercised

Matt Thornton (33) - $2.25MM club option with a $250K buyout

Unlikely To Be Exercised

Jermaine Dye (36) - $12MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout (unlikely that both sides will exercise)

The full article here.

Edited by tommy

We should change this post to Obsessed with the lack of off-season moves.

I am really growing angrier and angrier with this.

I am getting impatient by the day with Kenny not doing crap!

I just don't understand how a team who wins the division in the coolest fashion, just lays down and rolls over the next...

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 05:18 PM)
We should change this post to Obsessed with the lack of off-season moves.

I am really growing angrier and angrier with this.

I am getting impatient by the day with Kenny not doing crap!

I just don't understand how a team who wins the division in the coolest fashion, just lays down and rolls over the next...

Oh, come on. We all know Kenny's only been waiting for Yadel Marti and Yasser Gomez to successfully to defect from Cuba.

Edited by jenks45monster

Yeah, what's our best news of the week/s here exactly?

Eider Torres playing so well in Winter Ball that he might put himself on the radar screen for a utility position, potentially fighting it out with Getz and Lillibridge?

Or Taveras and Cabrera signing with teams other than the White Sox? White Sox also apparently not kicking the tires on Randy Johnson or Brad Penny?

What's next? An under-the-radar Pettitte or Mussina signing for $10 million (2009 season only) to shock us all?