Cubs trade Pie

bschmaranz

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
This only means they'll get Peavy sooner, rather than later.

Yup.

I would not be surprised at all if the new owner pulls the trigger on this deal the day after the Cubs sale takes place... as a way to play up to the fans and make a PR splash.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 07:42 PM)
Yup.

I would not be surprised at all if the new owner pulls the trigger on this deal the day after the Cubs sale takes place... as a way to play up to the fans and make a PR splash.

Good call....one of the possible owners has told MLB that the Cubs would have a payroll of 200 milliion per year if he's in charge.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
They may need Peavy:

The Chicago Sun Times reports that Rich Harden has a small tear in his shoulder joint, calling it "just severe enough that some players might seek surgery but slight enough to be in a range often treated effectively with a strengthening program."

LOL, Harden is a glass figurine. How many DL trips between brilliant starts this year?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
I don't think so. They have less of what the Padres would want or need. I don't know why people still think they're going to get Peavy. They have nothing to trade.

Vitters, Olsen, Marshall, Archer, Stevens, Gaub for Peavy

They also have the option of throwing in Cedeno and Hill if they're still resistant to trading Marshall.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)

They also have the option of throwing in Cedeno and Hill if they're still resistant to trading Marshall.

Dont you think this massive trade would have been done by now? I really dont think Olsen would be the tipping point in the deal instead of Pie.

It's one thing to read NSBB.com, but I wouldn't copy it.

Hill and Cedeno are also out of options so I don't why San Diego would be so open to filling up their 25 man roster with them and adding some more players to their 40 man as well.

I wonder if Pie ever got in a bar fight with one of Piniella's kids.

What's NSBB? Seriously.

I don't think it's that crazy, If you were the Padres, and currently relying on a team with people like Oscar Robles and Cha Seung Baek to play key roles on your roster what can’t you gain my picking up Hill and Cedeno and working them out for a year?

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
Dont you think this massive trade would have been done by now? I really dont think Olsen would be the tipping point in the deal instead of Pie.

Because of the size of Peavey's contract, the Cubs aren't likely to pull the trigger on this without the new owner's approval.

The only trades that will take place until then are ones that keep the current payroll at about the same level. (For example, that's why they had to trade DeRosa + Marquis before signing Bradley.)

Edited by scenario

What's NSBB? Seriously.

I don't think it's that crazy, If you were the Padres, and currently relying on a team with people like Oscar Robles and Cha Seung Baek to play key roles on your roster what can’t you gain my picking up Hill and Cedeno and working them out for a year?

rich Hill is going to be 29 years old during spring training and cannot find the plate. Look at his current performance in the Venezulan league:

21 IP, 6.86 ERA 23 H, 16 ER, 23 BB, 16 K, 3 HBP, 2.19 WHIP, 7 Wild pitches.

Fork 'em

It's a story as old as time:

Cubs have modest prospect, hype him as great.

The sheep (Cubs fans) buy it.

As prospect rises, Cubs have opportunity to trade him for a great haul in return, but decline to avoid angering sheep.

Prospect proves, eventually, that he's really not that good.

Cubs fans turn on prospect.

Cubs trade prospect for next to nothing.

As for Jake Peavy, I still don't think that trade will happen, but if it does, they'll need it. Ryan Dempster is going to regress, Rich Harden is going to be hurt for large stretches, and Rich Hill is never going to be a relevant major league pitcher again. They still have an above average pitching staff, but they aren't winning the World Series with it. Plus their offense is going to have plenty of regressions this year as well. They had a GOLDEN chance to win it all last year, and blew it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 12:04 AM)
It's a story as old as time:

Cubs have modest prospect, hype him as great.

The sheep (Cubs fans) buy it.

As prospect rises, Cubs have opportunity to trade him for a great haul in return, but decline to avoid angering sheep.

Prospect proves, eventually, that he's really not that good.

Cubs fans turn on prospect.

Cubs trade prospect for next to nothing.

As for Jake Peavy, I still don't think that trade will happen, but if it does, they'll need it. Ryan Dempster is going to regress, Rich Harden is going to be hurt for large stretches, and Rich Hill is never going to be a relevant major league pitcher again. They still have an above average pitching staff, but they aren't winning the World Series with it. Plus their offense is going to have plenty of regressions this year as well. They had a GOLDEN chance to win it all last year, and blew it.

good :)