Cubs close to landing Aaron Heilman

Kyyle23

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People are going to continue ignoring the facts and continue to think Peavy is coming to the Cubs. It's just like the Roberts stuff last year that people kept buying but never happened. I am done arguing it, because arguments are pointless if people ignore the obvious. The only way the Cubs could possibly get Peavy is if the Padres give him up for nothing, and if they were willing to do that, they'd have traded him somewhere by now.

The one interesting thing about this trade if it is indeed Olson and Cedeno is that means the Cubs got Aaron Heilman for Ronny Cedeno and Felix Pie at the end of the day. That is CLASSIC Cubs, taking what were valuable chips, keeping them too long, and trading them for very little/next to nothing (although Heilman has had a few pretty good bullpen years, but my point still stands).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
Pie + Cedeno = Heilman???

Wow. Good thing Hendry waited til after the Cubs convention to pull this off.

Talk about selling low.

I don't think there would have been much outrage from Cubs fans about Pie and Cedeno leaving town, no matter what the return.

Pie was a late-inning glove with almost no bat, and Cedeno is a relatively inconsistent bench player.

The return from the Mariners seems accurate to me. A 5th starter/middle reliever is a decent return based on where Pie and Cedeno are right now production-wise.

If Pie finds his swing somehow in Seattle, then obviously it would swing the trade in the Mariners' favor. He's still very young, so the M's have time to work with him.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
People are going to continue ignoring the facts and continue to think Peavy is coming to the Cubs. It's just like the Roberts stuff last year that people kept buying but never happened. I am done arguing it, because arguments are pointless if people ignore the obvious. The only way the Cubs could possibly get Peavy is if the Padres give him up for nothing, and if they were willing to do that, they'd have traded him somewhere by now.

The one interesting thing about this trade if it is indeed Olson and Cedeno is that means the Cubs got Aaron Heilman for Ronny Cedeno and Felix Pie at the end of the day. That is CLASSIC Cubs, taking what were valuable chips, keeping them too long, and trading them for very little/next to nothing (although Heilman has had a few pretty good bullpen years, but my point still stands).

I agree with your entire post.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
If Pie finds his swing somehow in Seattle Baltimore, then obviously it would swing the trade in the Mariners' Orioles' favor. He's still very young, so the M's O's have time to work with him.

Fixed.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
I don't think there would have been much outrage from Cubs fans about Pie and Cedeno leaving town, no matter what the return.

Pie was a late-inning glove with almost no bat, and Cedeno is a relatively inconsistent bench player.

The return from the Mariners seems accurate to me. A 5th starter/middle reliever is a decent return based on where Pie and Cedeno are right now production-wise.

If Pie finds his swing somehow in Seattle, then obviously it would swing the trade in the Mariners' favor. He's still very young, so the M's have time to work with him.

Pie is in Baltimore. The guy he was traded for, Garett Olsen, was traded to Seattle. Hence

pie(Olsen)+ Cedeno = Heilman

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
Rich Hill, Ronnie Cedano and Feliz Pie for Aaron Heilman. Were these not the major pieces that McFail wanted for Roberts last off season?????

There were a few others IIRC, Donnie Veal and another pitcher I think

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
There were a few others IIRC, Donnie Veal and another pitcher I think

and Veal's gone too, which is hilarious. It seems that Hendry is becoming incompetent, and he's selling garbage for garbage at this point.

It would be so worth it if the Cubs inability to win a World Series continued for atleast another 20 years, especially if they lost in the Series a time or two.

I dont even know why I try to post at mlbtr.com the cubs fans on there are pretty much retarded. Sean Marshall has become the next Tom Glavine for alot of Cubs fans.

Hendry basically has Vitters left in his farm system. They are banking on him becoming a stud. Ceda was the the guy I really thought they should have kept around.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
I dont even know why I try to post at mlbtr.com the cubs fans on there are pretty much retarded. Sean Marshall has become the next Tom Glavine for alot of Cubs fans.

Hendry basically has Vitters left in his farm system. They are banking on him becoming a stud. Ceda was the the guy I really thought they should have kept around.

their system is horrible...almost as bad as ours was a year and a half ago....

this is great news IMO...i think it makes a peavy deal less and less likely...especially given that they are stacking middle relievers

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)

Agreed

And every single move the Cubs make is a precursor to a Peavy trade. I frequent mlbtr by habit at this point and refuse to post on there unless someone says something extremely ill-informed about the Sox.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
their system is horrible...almost as bad as ours was a year and a half ago....

this is great news IMO...i think it makes a peavy deal less and less likely...especially given that they are stacking middle relievers

B&B were discussing an article yesterday written in Crane magazine(i think thats what its called) discussing how the Cubs really arent expected to be big spenders once the Ricketts acquire them, mainly because of the massive amount of borrowed money that will be used to make the purchase.

No more open-ended checks from the Trib company

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
Agreed

And every single move the Cubs make is a precursor to a Peavy trade. I frequent mlbtr by habit at this point and refuse to post on there unless someone says something extremely ill-informed about the Sox.

I may be in the minority but I still believe the Cubs will land Peavy. All this move does is allow the Cubs (who have about 14 bullpen pitchers for 7 spots) to send Samardijza down to AAA this year to work on becoming a starter for 2010 (they won't re-sign Harden and Lilly will be in his final year of his contract in 2010). The difference between the Roberts rumors last year and the Peavy rumors this year is the O's didn't have to trade Roberts where as the Pads have to cut their payroll by $30 mil. To be honest I think a deal is already in place and as soon as the new owner becomes official, it will be done.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
I may be in the minority but I still believe the Cubs will land Peavy. All this move does is allow the Cubs (who have about 14 bullpen pitchers for 7 spots) to send Samardijza down to AAA this year to work on becoming a starter for 2010 (they won't re-sign Harden and Lilly will be in his final year of his contract in 2010). The difference between the Roberts rumors last year and the Peavy rumors this year is the O's didn't have to trade Roberts where as the Pads have to cut their payroll by $30 mil. To be honest I think a deal is already in place and as soon as the new owner becomes official, it will be done.

I think Peavy's a goner also, but I'm hoping that another team other than the Cubs may jump in on the bidding, but that's prob unlikely ATM. Sad for the Padres how much that franchise has dropped in the past couple of seasons also.

Welcome aboard to Soxtalk as well. :cheers

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
I think Peavy's a goner also, but I'm hoping that another team other than the Cubs may jump in on the bidding, but that's prob unlikely ATM. Sad for the Padres how much that franchise has dropped in the past couple of seasons also.

Welcome aboard to Soxtalk as well. :cheers

Thanks, glad to be a part of soxtalk. I agree about another team jumping in but Peavy has a NTC and said a few months back he wants to stay in the NL and would only approve a trade to 5 teams (Cubs, Atl, Stros, Cards, and LA). Houston and StL couldn't take on his salary, LA would really have to trade the farm for him since they are in the same division as the Pads. It seemed like he was going to go to Atl and it was almost a done deal but it got squashed at the last minute and the Braves getting Javy and Lowe took them out of it and as dumb luck would have it, the Cubs (who never really had any interest in Peavy in the first place) are the only team left. What really sucks is that Hendry holds all the cards and may get Peavy for less than expected. It doesn't help that there are so many FA pitchers still on the market that can be had for cheap....speaking of which I'd LOVE to see the Sox take a chance with Ben Sheets.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
speaking of which I'd LOVE to see the Sox take a chance with Ben Sheets.

I think all of us would, but right now, the Sox are pretty much on their payroll limits.

If they could trade Dye for prospects, sign a RF to replace him for half the price, and then sign Sheets on a 1 year deal, with major incentives, then that's something I'd like to see em do.

Right now, I don't know where Sheets is going to end up. The Rangers most likely, but Nolan Ryan wants their SP's to be able to throw a lot of innings, and I'm not sure Sheets can do that for a whole season. The Mets just signed Garcia, and are likely to re-sign Perez it seems.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)

No way does Samardijza get sent down to AAA for a year, Not after what he did for them last year.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
No way does Samardijza get sent down to AAA for a year, Not after what he did for them last year.

The thing is Samardjiza was drafted as and projected to be a SP and he still needs to work on some more pitches. He's the only "real" SP prospect the Cubs have right now. I'm not saying he won't be up with the big club next year but I can see them starting him out Iowa to stretch him out and work on his pitches. Think about it though, did any of us think Fields would start out at AAA last year.....I didn't.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)

What will they trade for him then?

original players:

Cedeno: gone

Pie: Gone

Ceda: gone

Olson: gone

All they have left of value is Vitters and no team in the world would trade Peavy for Vitters. Marshall isnt very good, they have zero MLB ready position players and no real arms left. Samarjigidjja has a no trade clsuse and signed with the Cubs to be in Chicago. They literally have nothing left.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
What will they trade for him then?

original players:

Cedeno: gone

Pie: Gone

Ceda: gone

Olson: gone

All they have left of value is Vitters and no team in the world would trade Peavy for Vitters. Marshall isnt very good, they have zero MLB ready position players and no real arms left. Samarjigidjja has a no trade clsuse and signed with the Cubs to be in Chicago. They literally have nothing left.

EVERYONE WANTS ANGEL GUZMAN!!!!!!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
Cubs fans are PISSED about this trade. lol.

Thats because they know the door is all but shut on the Peavy deal(it could still happen I guess, but I dont know how). One guy who called B&B the other day(regarding my previous post) was pissed at Bernstein just for reading it, and you could tell just by how he was phrasing it that he KNEW the Cubs werent going to be spending like they were in the past 5 years, and Peavy was slowly becoming a dream