Official 2008-2009 NFL Offseason Thread

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
Bly is a bum and I can't believe people thought he was going to be one half of the greatest CB tandem in the league.

:huh: Dre played well for the Broncos, he had 113 tackles, 7 INT's, and a sack in his two season stint. He was the 4th Broncos starter cut this offseason because he was due to count 6.8M against the cap next year. Dre Bly led the team in INT's with 2 and was the team's 4th leading tackler, which is sad.

Dre will be a very solid pick-up for some team, maybe even the Broncos again at a reduced rate.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
:huh: Dre played well for the Broncos, he had 113 tackles, 7 INT's, and a sack in his two season stint. He was the 4th Broncos starter cut this offseason because he was due to count 6.8M against the cap next year. Dre Bly led the team in INT's with 2 and was the team's 4th leading tackler, which is sad.

Dre will be a very solid pick-up for some team, maybe even the Broncos again at a reduced rate.

He's not as good as he was though.

Denver's saved $30M with all of their cuts so far.

Something tells me that they're going to make a big run at Haynesworth in FA (cutting Robertson would also help them save more $$$ I believe).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
He's not as good as he was though.

Denver's saved $30M with all of their cuts so far.

Something tells me that they're going to make a big run at Haynesworth in FA (cutting Robertson would also help them save more $$ I believe).

Bly is 31 years old I think, so he's definitely on the downside of his career, but he can still be a solid CB. Denver gave up 5 yards a carry last season, so Haynesworth would make a lot of sense.

Michael Crabtree confirmed Sunday at the Combine that he will need surgery to repair a stress fracture in his left foot after the Texas Tech Pro Day.

Teams looking to draft Crabtree will have to take into account that he'll be out until training camp. The injury isn't considered serious, but Crabtree's insistence on running the forty in March sets back his recovery period. Despite initial reports that the injury was "recent," Crabtree admitted that he played through it for most of last season. His YPC average dropped from 14.6 as a freshman to 12.0 as a third-year sophomore. Feb

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
With Nicks running a 4.49 its very unlikely he will be available at the Bears 2nd round pick.

As the draft seems to breaking down most of the Bears needs wont be the BPA at their picks.

I disagree with the bolded simply because the Bears have needs at almost every position on the field right now, which is amazing to say after a respectable season like they had last year, but is still true in my opinion. What position do the Bears NOT need something right now? Even with Forte at running back, they could use another guy or Forte will be worn out of the league within a few years. And at linebacker, where their two "best" players are in Briggs and Urlacher (who is clearly on the downside of his career now), they really have no depth and last year, not much of a 3rd starter. At cornerback, Nathan Vasher is coming off a major injury and some people want Peanut to move to safety. The Bears depth chart is really a big black hole right now, and in retrospect the coaching staff might have done well to get as much as they did out of this team last season.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I guess that depends on what you think the Bears "needs" are.

I think the Bears biggest need is offensive line, specifically tackle and I dont believe that any of the top tackles will be available at the first pick.

Cornerback is a position I think that they may be able to get a Vontae Davis at in the first. I dont know right now, I just always have a negative feeling about what the Bears are going to do on draft day.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
I guess that depends on what you think the Bears "needs" are.

I think the Bears biggest need is offensive line, specifically tackle and I dont believe that any of the top tackles will be available at the first pick.

Cornerback is a position I think that they may be able to get a Vontae Davis at in the first. I dont know right now, I just always have a negative feeling about what the Bears are going to do on draft day.

unless they plan to move Tillman to safety (something lovie laughed off) i doubt they take a CB, and i really hope they dont...there are bigger holes than CB if you ask me....they at least have depth at CB with Tillman Vasher Graham....Right now Safety is way more important IMO...Craig Steltz is penciled in as the starting FS right now

To me the biggest problem with the defense was the inability to get to the QB last year, and they desperately need a pass rushing DE, though it seems as if the bears may be content to just hope Marinelli solves the "getting to the QB" problem

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
With Nicks running a 4.49 its very unlikely he will be available at the Bears 2nd round pick.

As the draft seems to breaking down most of the Bears needs wont be the BPA at their picks.

Robo might fall there, but he had one of the best days for WR's.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
Hayward and Nicks both look like good guys for the Bears to target in the 1st round. I would than look at a tackle that fell in the 2nd round.

I dont think Heyward would be a good investment in the first round, Nicks id gamble on. Id also be willing to take one of the stud OT in the draft if they fell to us.

unless they plan to move Tillman to safety (something lovie laughed off) i doubt they take a CB, and i really hope they dont...there are bigger holes than CB if you ask me....they at least have depth at CB with Tillman Vasher Graham....Right now Safety is way more important IMO...Craig Steltz is penciled in as the starting FS right now

To me the biggest problem with the defense was the inability to get to the QB last year, and they desperately need a pass rushing DE, though it seems as if the bears may be content to just hope Marinelli solves the "getting to the QB" problem

And that goes back to my first post that I dont think the BPA will jive with what the Bears need.

I cant see them drafting a DE very high when they have Alex Brown, O-Gun and Mark Anderson.

I almost wouldnt mind seeing them trade down a few spots if it meant that theyd get Hicks.

The bears clearly need another tackle with Tait considering retirement and St. Clair (good riddance) likely leaving via FA.

One of Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, Andre Smith, or Michael Oher will be available when the Bears pick (one of the latter two most likely). They should take one of them if they're on the board.

Edited by Fotop

QUOTE (Fotop @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
The bears clearly need another tackle with Tait considering retirement and St. Clair (good riddance) likely leaving via FA.

One of Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, Andre Smith, or Michael Oher will be available when the Bears pick (one of the latter two most likely). They should take one of them if they're on the board.

Jason smith and monroe will certainly be gone....Andre Smith is going to fall after his debacle at the combine (especially given his previous character concerns)...i doubt he'll fall all the way to 18 after hes been projected in teh top 5 for a while, but Oher might. Its a pretty significant dropoff after those 4 though, and if they all get taken, then what do we do? If Maclin is there (unlikely) I'd nab him, but I'm not sold on any of the other WR besides crabree as being a top 18 player in this draft. I really really wish we were picking like 3 picks higher and we would for sure get a top tier OT

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
Are the Bears looking for more a speedy WR in the DeSean Jackson mould or a big possesion receiver (like they thought Moose was going to be)?

The short answer, a GOOD one. Hester obviously brings speed, but im not sure they think he's a big play guy. Obviously it makes sense to look for a bigger guy to offset Hester's size.

I haven't seen many recent mocks (what's a good place for updated mock drafts, btw?) but I think one of the tackles will fall - call it a hunch I suppose.

If one doesn't, the Bears are in trouble in my opinion. There's no lights out safety they can nab in this draft, due to Mays and Major Wright going back to school and 1st rd WRs are typically a losing proposition (Harvin being the most likely one to be picked here and he scares the bejesus out of me).

Sanchez won't fall that far, so there goes the QB of the future pick. The BPA at that point will likely be an end, be it Tyson Jackson or Michael Johnson, which as you point out does not fit one of the Bears many needs. A Linebacker wouldn't be a terrible idea, but Cushing, Malaluga, Curry, and likely Laurinitis will all be gone by then. If one of the USCers drops (doubtful) I suppose I'd put them on the short list. Another RB? It's a thought, as many teams are showing you need 2 RBs these days (Moreno or Wells could be had), but again there are much larger needs for the Bears.

So basically if the tackles are gone, you have to consider trading down, and I'd be ok with that.

QUOTE (Fotop @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
I haven't seen many recent mocks (what's a good place for updated mock drafts, btw?) but I think one of the tackles will fall - call it a hunch I suppose.

If one doesn't, the Bears are in trouble in my opinion. There's no lights out safety they can nab in this draft, due to Mays and Major Wright going back to school and 1st rd WRs are typically a losing proposition (Harvin being the most likely one to be picked here and he scares the bejesus out of me).

Sanchez won't fall that far, so there goes the QB of the future pick. The BPA at that point will likely be an end, be it Tyson Jackson or Michael Johnson, which as you point out does not fit one of the Bears many needs. A Linebacker wouldn't be a terrible idea, but Cushing, Malaluga, Curry, and likely Laurinitis will all be gone by then. If one of the USCers drops (doubtful) I suppose I'd put them on the short list. Another RB? It's a thought, as many teams are showing you need 2 RBs these days (Moreno or Wells could be had), but again there are much larger needs for the Bears.

So basically if the tackles are gone, you have to consider trading down, and I'd be ok with that.

I think someone has to drop. There's only so many picks in front of them.

I've seen mocks that have the Bears picking these guys:

Tyson Jackson (please no)

Vontae Davis (eh)

Maclin (I'd drool if he fell)

Heyward-Bey (wouldn't mind it)

Oher (please)

Michael Johnson (please no)

Larry English (not a 4-3 DE)

I'd rather we go Oher in the 1st then Robiskie or Britt in the round 2, but if a team wants to trade up I'd do it in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
I've seen mocks that have the Bears picking these guys:

Tyson Jackson (please no)

Vontae Davis (eh)

Maclin (I'd drool if he fell)

Heyward-Bey (wouldn't mind it)

Oher (please)

Michael Johnson (please no)

Larry English (not a 4-3 DE)

I'd rather we go Oher in the 1st then Robiskie or Britt in the round 2, but if a team wants to trade up I'd do it in a heartbeat.

This isnt homerism because for the most part I didnt like him at OSU, but Robiskie could be a pretty good fit for the Bears. He can stretch the field, runs good routes and can catch the ball in traffic.