NY Daily News: Sox make Abreu 1-Year Offer

Steve9347

If someone can sign Abreu for $3M then why would they take Dye who is making about $12M? Reading these post one would think Dye should be valued at about $150K for all the respect he is given.. Dye is superior to Abreu IMO. Not that Bobby isn't a good player, but if he is still unsigned and only worth $3M then maybe there is something more wrong than just the economy?

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Sox could get Abreu for $3 million, I'm sure they would be much more willing to send money with Dye. They could still dump $5 million in salary by trading Dye and picking up a significant portion of his contract. This was something that wasn't possible when Abreu was reportedly seeking $10 million.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
If someone can sign Abreu for $3M then why would they take Dye who is making about $12M? Reading these post one would think Dye should be valued at about $150K for all the respect he is given.. Dye is superior to Abreu IMO. Not that Bobby isn't a good player, but if he is still unsigned and only worth $3M then maybe there is something more wrong than just the economy?

because Dye is a completely different hitter than Bobby Abreu. Abreu is average/on-base with a bit of power. Dye is all about power. That's why teams would still trade for him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
because Dye is a completely different hitter than Bobby Abreu. Abreu is average/on-base with a bit of power. Dye is all about power. That's why teams would still trade for him.

And RHP vs. LHP. And if you have a young team, every indication I've gotten suggests I'd rather have dye in the clubhouse.

No one is taking Dye. I think the $3 million is a downward exaggeration, but if its not, he's a steal. Only about $1 million more than the White Sox paid Toby Hall last year to basically make shaving cream pies.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
I still don't think the Sox offered 8M.

They didn't. I think they were throwing that out there to see if it would interest them. Its about what the Reds were, at least at one time, rumored to be willing to pay Dye, so maybe they were checking to see if they were able to re-visit that, get something for Dye and pay Abreu, the cost would be a wash and Dye would go for whatever they received for him + Abreu. I don't think any team is willing to pick up Dye even if the White Sox eat $3 million now, the market has dropped that much. In October or November, it probably wouldn't have been a problem.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
If Abreu rejected the 8 million that the Sox supposedly offered, he must be kicking himself right now

Speaking of kicking himself maybe in hindsight if the Reds had offered a package for Dye KW should have taken it. Maybe the Sox could have had any combination of Abreu , Hudson and/or a pitcher for what they're going to pay Dye this year.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)

Who on here has disrespected Dye or failed to appreciate him? Besides that one guy that got drunk and later softened his stance. Seriously. Just because people don't get emotionally attached to players doesn't mean they don't like them.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 09:38 PM)
Who on here has disrespected Dye or failed to appreciate him? Besides that one guy that got drunk and later softened his stance. Seriously. Just because people don't get emotionally attached to players doesn't mean they don't like them.

s***, I am emotionally attached to Dye. But I'm even more emotionally attached to the franchise. If moving Dye can help make this team better, so be it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 09:48 PM)
s***, I am emotionally attached to Dye. But I'm even more emotionally attached to the franchise. If moving Dye can help make this team better, so be it.

This is how i feel. If we as an organization begin holding onto lovable franchise stars past their due time to go, we become the 90s Cubs with Dunston, Grace etc

With Dye he can obviously still hit, but when you consider what he's projected to be in this phase of his career, what the park is like for him, what he's asked to do, and what the team needs..........it's time.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 10:48 PM)

Agreed. Full disclosure, Jermaine Dye is my favorite member of the Sox, even. But if I was to say that moving him helps the team, and the return for him plus being replaced by Abreu (a different type of hitter) makes the team more complete, I don't see how that's making me disloyal. It actually kind of makes me a fanboy if I refuse to consider the possibilities.

That can be your opinion all you want, but facts paint a different story, and that story is that Abreu is a MUCH better hitter than Dye and is about equal in the field. Abreu is a better player and would bring alot more to this team on the field than Dye.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
That can be your opinion all you want, but facts paint a different story, and that story is that Abreu is a MUCH better hitter than Dye and is about equal in the field. Abreu is a better player and would bring alot more to this team on the field than Dye.

I don't think it's fact that Abreu is a better hitter or that he's necessarily a better overall player (though I believe that to be true). Over the past 4 years, Dye has had more XBH's in every season, his slugging has been better every season, he's had a better OPS in 2 of the 4, and he's out-homered him in all 4.

What I do believe to be true is that Abreu would be a much better fit for the Sox offense than Jermaine Dye or Paul Konerko at the given moment, and, though neither will really be easy to move at this point, Dye is easier to move and has more value as well.

Supposedly the Mets will try to sign Abreu if his price falls below $4 million.

Now I know we've seen some brutal CF defense since we traded Rowand, and Ozzie won't play Anderson, so it's tough for me to say the Sox shouldn't spend $5 million to stick Abreu in CF.