NY Daily News: Sox make Abreu 1-Year Offer

Steve9347

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Random thought.... we all assume a Abreu signing means Dye is gone. Any chance Abreu plays center? I know he's not a wiz defensively... just throwing that out there as a crazy idea. Doubt it's even an option.

He would make us pine for the days Carl Everett was patrolling CF.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
They've been speaking with his agent for sure though, its a fact. Whether or not this was a recent conversation is outside of my knowledge.

And as some other folks on here know, they have also been talking to another slugger's agent as well.

Don't tease me with the chance it might be Dunn!!!

Another variation/permutation:

Konerko for Figgins (net $7 million)

Dunn signed for 1B (lose $7 million?)

Abreu signed (lose $8 million)

Dye traded for young pitching (Bailey/Adenhart, saving $11.5 million)

Marti/Looper/Wolf signed as 5th=$3.5 million

The only problem is that you overweigh with lefties almost....strange, after we've been such a righty-dominated team for so long, to think of a line-up that goes out there with as many as five or six (if you include AJ and Getz).

That would also save the White Sox money.

Arguably, you might even have enough left over to add Marti/Looper/Wolf as your 4th/5th. ($3.5 million)

Net payroll addition=ZERO

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
Random thought.... we all assume a Abreu signing means Dye is gone. Any chance Abreu plays center? I know he's not a wiz defensively... just throwing that out there as a crazy idea. Doubt it's even an option.

To be fair, we have seen guys like Jr, Everett, and Makowiak play out there. They don't seem to value defense out there too much.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
Here's another option:

Konerko for Figgins (CF/3B and leadoff)

Abreu signed

Viciedo/Allen/Betemit share 1B

Yadel Marti/Looper/Randy Wolf signed as 5th starter

Wouldn't that be an arguably stronger team (as long as you're not convinced Poreda/Marquez will win AL ROY)?

The one disavantage is you have a lot of pressure on Fields, Viciedo/Allen and Getz/Lillibridge, but that's the bottom 3 of your line-up.

Where does everyone play in that example? Thome-DH, Viciedo/Allen/Betemit-1B, Quentin-LF, Dye-RF, Abreu-?

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
Sign Abreu... trade for Figgins....

1) Figgins, CF

2) Abreu, RF

3) Konerko, 1B

4) Thome, DH

5) CQ, LF

6) AJ, C

7) Ramirez, SS

8) Betemit / Fields / Viciedo, 3B

9) ?????, 2B

I like it!!!

And why do you have the AL MVP hitting 5th?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
To be fair, we have seen guys like Jr, Everett, and Makowiak play out there. They don't seem to value defense out there too much.

And considering the other options appear to be Wise and Owens I would gladly give up some defense to have a legitimate MLB baseball player in CF.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
Where does everyone play in that example? Thome-DH, Viciedo/Allen/Betemit-1B, Quentin-LF, Dye-RF, Abreu-?

I guess you go out and offer Dye to any team willing to give up their best AA/AAA starter that currently needs an OF bat.

Reds/Angels/Dodgers/Braves/Nationals. Take your pick.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)
Rock....do you expect Jermaine Dye to be starting for the White Sox come April?

Yup. I dont see any wholesale changes by April unless something really shakes out. And as much as the Dye for Figgins/Bailey/etc keep popping up, im not so sure that JD is the one KW is shopping although I have zero insight on that topic.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
How could someone be bad at RF. That's where they stuck me in little league because I sucked.

Most hitters in little league are righties and not too many have oppo power so RF is prime wasteland where dandelions grow. It all changes when you get into the higher levels...

Edited by heirdog

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Another variation/permutation:

Konerko for Figgins (net $7 million)

Dunn signed for 1B (lose $7 million?)

Abreu signed (lose $8 million)

Dye traded for young pitching (Bailey/Adenhart, saving $11.5 million)

Marti/Looper/Wolf signed as 5th=$3.5 million

The only problem is that you overweigh with lefties almost....strange, after we've been such a righty-dominated team for so long, to think of a line-up that goes out there with as many as five or six (if you include AJ and Getz).

That would also save the White Sox money.

Arguably, you might even have enough left over to add Marti/Looper/Wolf as your 4th/5th. ($3.5 million)

Net payroll addition=ZERO

I doubt anyone talks Paulie at his salary until he rebounds. I think he will, and I could see how people in other organizations would view Paulie as a likely rebound candidate also, but the fact is he's had two bad years in a row. IMO Paulie on the open market would be lucky to fetch $7M guaranteed.

Also, the Braves and Reds are the teams that we've had the deepest discussions with regarding Dye, at least in terms of what has been reported, but it appears neither team has the money to spend ATM. We'd have to take on salary I think.

The Angels though are confusing. They have prospects to fill in at 1B and 3B, but do they go that route or continue to block them? Plus there don't seem to be any OF openings either after signing Rivera. They have Torii in CF, and at DH/LF/RF they've got Vladdy, Rivera, Willits, and GMJ. Dye would be an upgrade in a corner, but since Vladdy will play every day somewhere, that leaves one spot for 3 players. Do they send GMJ to the bench and still pay that salary? He's the weakest link.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)

Dye plays 1B and Figgins in CF, Quentin RF and Abreu LF

Viciedo and Betemit battle Fields for 3B and Allen plays in AAA

Signing Abreu to a one-year deal to replace Dye who is already under contract for this year doesn't make much sense to me. Why would the Angels want to pay Dye's salary in a Figgins deal when they could simply sign Abreu for less?

I don't see this happening. If Kenny does end up signing Abreu, it'll be for more than one season... and he'll be eating some of Dye's contract in a trade.

I don't think Figgins is in the picture at all. If you have Quentin and Abreu in the corners, you can't have Figgins in CF. Owens is already suspect out there. Figgins is not a good CF. Also Figgins won't be going to 3B unless they trade Fields, and I think they really like Fields and want him to play a full season in Chicago before giving up on him.

If Dye gets traded, it'll be for pitching. I could see that Bailey trade happening if Abreu signs with the Sox.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)
Unlikely that anyone would trade for Dye with Abreu still available as a free agent...

But by signing Abreu, KW might be able to make a create a market for JD.

Pretty creative if true.

Makes me think that KW would be sending ~$3M along with JD (or $6M if it's Paulie - I can dream, and JD can play 1B, right? :) ), in any trade to make it more market friendly. Payroll remains the same.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
I don't think Figgins is in the picture at all. If you have Quentin and Abreu in the corners, you can't have Figgins in CF. Owens is already suspect out there. Figgins is not a good CF. Also Figgins won't be going to 3B unless they trade Fields, and I think they really like Fields and want him to play a full season in Chicago before giving up on him.

If Dye gets traded, it'll be for pitching. I could see that Bailey trade happening if Abreu signs with the Sox.

Great points. The sox have been collecting young pitching talent, we have a "hole" in our rotation, and our GM and Manager have come out and said that they believe in developing young arms.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Makes me think that KW would be sending ~$3M along with JD (or $6M if it's Paulie - I can dream, and JD can play 1B, right? :) ), in any trade to make it more market friendly. Payroll remains the same.

That sounds about right. IIRC the Reds supposedly had $7-8 million they were saving to acquire a bat. Abreu probably doesn't want to play there, he can play for the same money with the Sox and Dye goes to Cincinatti with cash for prospects and/ or the train wreck named Homer Bailey. The White Sox payroll remains the same, and in essence they trade Dye for Abreu and prospects. That's if this all is true. Levine said nothing is immenent, which probably means a press conference is about to be scheduled.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 08:58 AM)
How could someone be bad at RF. That's where they stuck me in little league because I sucked.

There's more lefties in MLB than in the general population. RF gets the least action in little league. Going 1st to third on a single's not much of an issue, when you can usually go 1st to home on anything that reaches the outfield.

Just wanted you to rest assured that you did, in fact suck. :gosox4: