NY Daily News: Sox make Abreu 1-Year Offer

Steve9347

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
Is there any possibility that we can trade Dye in some package for Matt Kemp?

Brian Anderson/Dye for Kemp?

Someone's got to play CF for the Dodgers (especially considering Andruw Jones isn't there anymore).

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
Imagine if whoever we have play CF this year put up these type of numbers...

450 at-bats

14 doubles

1 triple

1 homerun

.276 BA

.367 OBP

.318 SLG

.685 OPS

34 stolen bases

Is that what we're looking for in terms of production from CF?

Those are Figgins' stats from 2008.

Take away his one big year in 2007 and I don't see much that excites me.

Take away his one big year in 2007 and his career (offensively) isn't much different than Juan Pierre's.

Scott Podsednik in 2005 when he was considered all world by many:

507AB

28 doubles

1 triple

0 home runs

.290 batting average

.351 on base pct.

.349 slugging

700 OPS

59 SB

Pretty similar to Figgins injury plaqued 2008 and the production the Sox get out of Quentin compared to what it got out of Rowand is way more than the difference here. Figgins would be a good leadoff man as long as he remained healthy. The question I have is he has had problems 2 years in a row. You would have to figure he'd get hurt again

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
If the Angels chucked in a decent prospect along with Figgins, I would pull the trigger on that deal, if you could get Bobby for 1/8.

I agree, but in this baseball economy I don't know if we'd get a whole lot given Dye's salary. It was below market value just several months ago, and now it would be looked at as an unaffordable contract by a lot of teams. Situations like this make me wish draft picks could be traded. I'd totally take Figgins + a 2nd round pick + a 3rd round pick for Dye.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
Called it.

And he prob still wont take it. But he is an ideal target.

yeah, I agree with you, I don't see him taking this. I see KW coming out pretty quickly and denying it.

Hopefully that's just me being pessimistic because if KW has another move up his sleeve this would be a good move

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
yeah, I agree with you, I don't see him taking this. I see KW coming out pretty quickly and denying it.

Hopefully that's just me being pessimistic because if KW has another move up his sleeve this would be a good move

They've been speaking with his agent for sure though, its a fact. Whether or not this was a recent conversation is outside of my knowledge.

And as some other folks on here know, they have also been talking to another slugger's agent as well.

Edited by RockRaines

Some have Dunn ONLY getting $5 million. Anything is possible...Wigginton got desperate and signed recently, coming off a good season.

What I would love to see:

1) Trade Dye for young pitching (Angels/Reds, etc.)

2) Sign Abreu for two years at $15-18 million (convince him that lower money for this year will allow them to sign O-Dog)

3) Sign Orlando Hudson for one year at around $5 million and stick him in CF as the leadoff hitter. Or start him at 2B and play Lillibridge/Anderson in CF as the 9th place hitter. Dump Owens/Wise from everyday line-up consideration. (This also allows Beckham to make an impact in 2010 at either SS but more likely 2B).

This allows the White Sox to stay payroll neutral, address CF/leadoff, add two quality veterans AND a young starting pitcher with upside like Bailey or Adenhart with no pressure for them to produce in 2009.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 08:33 AM)
They've been speaking with his agent for sure though, its a fact. Whether or not this was a recent conversation is outside of my knowledge.

And as some other folks on here know, they have also been talking to another slugger's agent as well.

Does this slugger have crazy dreadlocks?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
Some have Dunn ONLY getting $5 million. Anything is possible...Wigginton got desperate and signed recently, coming off a good season.

What I would love to see:

1) Trade Dye for young pitching (Angels/Reds, etc.)

2) Sign Abreu for two years at $15-18 million (convince him that lower money for this year will allow them to sign O-Dog)

3) Sign Orlando Hudson for one year at around $5 million and stick him in CF as the leadoff hitter. Or start him at 2B and play Lillibridge/Anderson in CF as the 9th place hitter. Dump Owens/Wise from everyday line-up consideration. (This also allows Beckham to make an impact in 2010 at either SS but more likely 2B).

This allows the White Sox to stay payroll neutral, address CF/leadoff, add two quality veterans AND a young starting pitcher with upside like Bailey or Adenhart with no pressure for them to produce in 2009.

forget hudson...he's gonna cost a first round draft pick...something KW certainly isn't going to do...plus i think the organization feels strongly enough that the guys that we have there can produce at level to which the 5 mil for hudson plus draft pick isn't worth it

No need to trade for Figgins when they can sign Orlando Hudson more cheaply (and without giving up Konerko/Dye)...and be even better.

The only consideration is the draft pick, and we might not even get anything out of Cabrera (article today speculates he could wait until mid-season to sign)...but bringing in Viciedo and Danks was pretty much like having two first/second rounders along with Beckham.

They can also do a Porcello and chase after an "unsignable" non-Boras client late in the first or in later rounds. If we did sign Hudson, the draft picks available at that spot aren't close to being sure things anyway. And there's no reason we can't pull a Detroit and throw a ton of money at a high upside pitcher in later rounds...because we'll free up all that money in 2010/2011.

Edited by caulfield12

First off, I suspect that this is just another garbage rumor that has no merit. Also, you would have to question if Abreu would even sign such a deal. If we read "Sox sign Abreu to a 1 Year Deal", then we can get carried away. With that said, this has been such a boring offseason, that I too welcome any opportunity to speculate on Sox moves.

In regards to Figgins for Dye or whoever, remember that KW would not necessarily see that as a one for one trade. At Soxfest, he preached about how he always looks at the money saved in a deal and what it leads to next. For example, he claims that they were able to sign the Cuban 3rd baseman, with money saved from trading Swisher. I don' t know how all of the salaries would net out, but he may see trading Dye for a minor leaguer, and then signing Abreu, would net $3MM to $4MM on the plus side, which would then allow us to sign the next Cuban star, or whoever else. I think adding Figgins and Abreu, then subtracting Dye, would leave the Sox with more net salary, however. So, if they were to sign Abreu, I see Dye being moved for a minor leaguer, allowing them to net a plus on the salary side. I also have this vision/fear of them thinking Abreu could play CF as well. He couldn't be much worse than Swisher out there. This certainly would be counter-intuitive to everything KW has preached over the last three months, however.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
I would guess this slugger was a football prospect at University of Texas

that would be awesome...especially if you can get him for more than 1 year and he can be thome's eventual replacement at DH....dye would certainly be traded though, as you could maybe try to live with dunn in lf for a year and TCQ would make the switch to right

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
that would be awesome...especially if you can get him for more than 1 year and he can be thome's eventual replacement at DH....dye would certainly be traded though, as you could maybe try to live with dunn in lf for a year and TCQ would make the switch to right

Sorry, I was talking about Ricky Williams

It's getting pretty close to spring training and with so many free agents still out there they're are going to have to swallow their pride and accept some offers. It's not like $8 million a year is a terrible offer but it is half his salary of a year ago. Maybe he'll get a better offer maybe not, but a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

In this economy Dye's salary is an albatross so if we end up with a Figgins for Dye trade most of Soxtalk would b**** about not getting enough. But think of what we do get , a younger, faster , cheaper more versatile player who fills a huge hole in CF . Then most likely 2 of the 3 headed monster we call CF candidates of Owen/Anderson/Wise don't make the 25 man roster. Also Quentin can move to RF the position he's best at. Abreu/Figgins > Dye.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Want2Repeat @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
First off, I suspect that this is just another garbage rumor that has no merit. Also, you would have to question if Abreu would even sign such a deal. If we read "Sox sign Abreu to a 1 Year Deal", then we can get carried away. With that said, this has been such a boring offseason, that I too welcome any opportunity to speculate on Sox moves.

In regards to Figgins for Dye or whoever, remember that KW would not necessarily see that as a one for one trade. At Soxfest, he preached about how he always looks at the money saved in a deal and what it leads to next. For example, he claims that they were able to sign the Cuban 3rd baseman, with money saved from trading Swisher. I don' t know how all of the salaries would net out, but he may see trading Dye for a minor leaguer, and then signing Abreu, would net $3MM to $4MM on the plus side, which would then allow us to sign the next Cuban star, or whoever else. I think adding Figgins and Abreu, then subtracting Dye, would leave the Sox with more net salary, however. So, if they were to sign Abreu, I see Dye being moved for a minor leaguer, allowing them to net a plus on the salary side. I also have this vision/fear of them thinking Abreu could play CF as well. He couldn't be much worse than Swisher out there. This certainly would be counter-intuitive to everything KW has preached over the last three months, however.

IF all of this is true, and KW listens to Mully and Hanley and is able to trade Dye for Figgins, the White Sox would be picking up about $1.3 million for 2009. Figgins gets $5.8 million, Abreu at $8.0 million, Dye at $11.5 million with a $1.0 million buyout.

QUOTE (Want2Repeat @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)

Here's another option:

Konerko for Figgins (CF/3B and leadoff)

Abreu signed

Viciedo/Allen/Betemit share 1B

Yadel Marti/Looper/Randy Wolf signed as 5th starter

Wouldn't that be an arguably stronger team (as long as you're not convinced Poreda/Marquez will win AL ROY)?

The one disavantage is you have a lot of pressure on Fields, Viciedo/Allen and Getz/Lillibridge, but that's the bottom 3 of your line-up.

Edited by caulfield12