Alex Rodriguez tested postive for steroids in 2003; Admits It

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
/throws topic grenade, runs.

What's worse, a legal (at the time) PED or an illegal recreational drug?

If MLB never enforced it, how was it illegal/cheating?

They're all "illegal," whether or not the CBA had a provision for testing. "Cheating" has nothing to do with the law.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
/throws topic grenade, runs.

What's worse, a legal (at the time) PED or an illegal recreational drug?

If MLB never enforced it, how was it illegal/cheating?

Recreational use of anabolic steroids has been illegal, by federal law, for as long as I can remember. Something that's illegal by law doesn't necessarily need it's own baseball rule governing over it, it's common sense

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 07:35 PM)
Recreational use of anabolic steroids has been illegal, by federal law, for as long as I can remember. Something that's illegal by law doesn't necessarily need it's own baseball rule governing over it, it's common sense

Okay, if it wasn't a rule, you can't find against it. Common sense has nothing to do with a rule.

Is it common sense to drink and drive? No.

The law calls it illegal, but if the cops never pull anyone over, that's the same as MLB's 2003 PED policy.

It's like they gave ARod a secret Breathalyzer but they never arrested him and thus, allowed him to continue D&D-ing.

The fact is, his PED usage was never monitored and he was never punished for usage, so how can what he did be illegal in the eyes of MLB or its record books?

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)

And just because something's illegal, doesn't mean there's something wrong with doing it, or if the law's right.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 08:18 PM)
I'm curious. If you were offered a substantial sum of money to kill another human being and you were 99% certain that you would get away with it, would you go through with it?

What if that human being was Hitler or Stalin?

Great PR spin by A-Rod and his people, admit to only using in the years that were going to be on the backburner of your career anyways. No way I believe he only used them between 01 and 03. He uses the pressure as an excuse, like what, the pressure went away somehow when he went to th Yankees? He had two of his best years of OPS+ and RC/G with the Yankees. I also love how he said something along the lines that he was young and naive, sorry when you're 25 or 26 and have been in the majors for parts of 2 years and 5 full years and you are commanding quarter billion dollar contracts that excuse doesn't fly with with me

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
And just because something's illegal, doesn't mean there's something wrong with doing it, or if the law's right.

That's besides any arguable point. This discussion is about what is and isn't allowed by baseball. If something isn't allowed at the most basic levels (Federal & State Law), then of course it isn't allowed in baseball. Whether YOU think it's right or wrong is irrelevant. You can THINK the laws against marijuana are wrong, but what you think doesn't matter. The law is the law.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 08:42 PM)
Great PR spin by A-Rod and his people, admit to only using in the years that were going to be on the backburner of your career anyways. No way I believe he only used them between 01 and 03. He uses the pressure as an excuse, like what, the pressure went away somehow when he went to th Yankees? He had two of his best years of OPS+ and RC/G with the Yankees. I also love how he said something along the lines that he was young and naive, sorry when you're 25 or 26 and have been in the majors for parts of 2 years and 5 full years and you are commanding quarter billion dollar contracts that excuse doesn't fly with with me

Those years also correspond to the last big gasp of steroids before testing (and probably the massive switch to designer PEDs), so it is logical that he quit before the testing started. It all depends on if you believe him; I'm not sure if I do.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
I'm curious. If you were offered a substantial sum of money to kill another human being and you were 99% certain that you would get away with it, would you go through with it?

Without hesitation

A-Rod didn't really admit to s***...after reading Deluca today, I sent him this e-mail.

Chris, why is everyone, including you, acting like A-Rod admitted to steroid use? He admitted to using a banned substance, why continually throwing 'GNC' around. He wouldn't say the substances by name, and acted like he had never heard of the substance Gammons mentioned. And Gammons has no balls. He let A-Rod dance around all his questions, while hardly answering any of them.

Or did I miss something?

Tony from North Riverside

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
He did it for three years (2001-2003)

Watching the interview, he seemed really upset/emotional while talking to Gammons. I've always heard he had a huge conscience, and tried doing the right things, whether that's accurate or not... I don't know, but he looked like he was truly sorry for this

You never know though, some people are hard to read

I might not be recalling correctly, but isn't this the same guy who was seen taking another woman out to a club while married and also fooling around with Madonna. Conscience my ass.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
He admitted to cheating from 2001-2003.

You're blind or naive if you actually think that's the only time he took steroids. Oh, it just so happens that he only took steroids in the timeframe in which he was on the Rangers. He's feeding you bulls*** and you're all eating it up.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
Major League Baseball has expressly prohibited the illegal use of performance enhancing drugs since 1991 but didn't add a punishment for the offense until 2004. Is it okay to break it rule if it has no punishment?

I mention this all the time. People either completely forget about that fact, or don't care to recognize it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
You're blind or naive if you actually think that's the only time he took steroids. Oh, it just so happens that he only took steroids in the timeframe in which he was on the Rangers. He's feeding you bulls*** and you're all eating it up.

i agree...he said he had the weight of the world on him...lol what about in new york when he was constantly booed? how about the year after he was booed in the 2006 playoffs for going 1-14...he came out that april and hit .355 and 14 HR....he's not telling the whole truth, but i'm not really sure why he would