Alex Rodriguez tested postive for steroids in 2003; Admits It

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a side note, I think all steroids and PEDs should be legal - they make the game better.

That is the saddest thing I've read on a message board. Do what it takes to win. Does that mean if you are a college fan, you cheat out the ass to win? Pay the players under the table to make sure a Kentucky is always better than a Davidson or Gonzaga? I'm not saying Ky cheats, just citing them as the big school example.

Bring out the asterisks and ban anybody who is a known user from the Hall. Baseball doesn't want asterisks but like somebody said this is like the world wide wrestling federation now. The era of steroids has to be noted in the record books.

Cheating (taking shortcuts is a nicer way to put it) sucks.

-- Did Maggs use?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
That is the saddest thing I've read on a message board. Do what it takes to win. Does that mean if you are a college fan, you cheat out the ass to win? Pay the players under the table to make sure a Kentucky is always better than a Davidson or Gonzaga? I'm not saying Ky cheats, just citing them as the big school example.

Bring out the asterisks and ban anybody who is a known user from the Hall. Baseball doesn't want asterisks but like somebody said this is like the world wide wrestling federation now. The era of steroids has to be noted in the record books.

Cheating (taking shortcuts is a nicer way to put it) sucks.

-- Did Maggs use?

How old are you?

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
I still say I-Rod, Piazza, and A-Rod all get into the HOF. I think the fact they they roids and were complete scumbags and all about it Bonds/Clemens and the fact he was a giant tool liar(Mcguire) were the main reasons not making it into the hall.

I dont think anyone who has tested postive for anabolic steroids will ever get voted into the hall. The guys in there are very protective of their group and it would be very hard to get in when its proven you cheated.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
I dont think anyone who has tested postive for anabolic steroids will ever get voted into the hall. The guys in there are very protective of their group and it would be very hard to get in when its proven you cheated.

Ever? Even after fifty years go by and all the old and crusty veteran sports writers have long since died?

I just believe that it's going to get worse with names, and at a point someones going to ask -- "can we really keep out Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens (insert other well known names)." If it's several, I can understand making a stand -- but if we're adding in names such as Albert Pujols or Derek Jeter then you just watch how quickly minds across baseball start to approach the subject differently.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)
So who are the sure-fire Hall of Famers from this generation that are left?

Thomas, Thome, Griffey and Manny Ramirez? Pujols, if he's clean.

My guess is that Frank, Thome, and Manny are all clean. Their physiques don't suggest steroid use (although HGH use is still a possibility). Griffey was never a workout freak and didn't even include stretching in his routine until his 30's (a dumb decision that most likely lead to his many leg injuries), so I would guess that he probably wasn't a PED guy, either. Pujols, on the other hand... man, I just don't get a good feeling about him. I hope I'm wrong.

Sadly, I can't say I'm surprised by A-Rod. Never did much care for the guy, anyway.

IMO, the real story here is Gene Orza allegedly tipping off players as to when they were going to be tested. If there's enough evidence to support this allegation, he and the MLBPA are in some serious trouble.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
My guess is that Frank, Thome, and Manny are all clean. Their physiques don't suggest steroid use (although HGH use is still a possibility). Griffey was never a workout freak and didn't even include stretching in his routine until his 30's (a dumb decision that most likely lead to his many leg injuries), so I would guess that he probably wasn't a PED guy, either. Pujols, on the other hand... man, I just don't get a good feeling about him. I hope I'm wrong.

It's dangerous to start calling out people based on their physiques, unless it's something obvious (like Sosa). If you ask a non-Sox fan, Thome's probably one of the first guys they mention about a suspicious physique due to his just massive build.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
It's dangerous to start calling out people based on their physiques, unless it's something obvious (like Sosa). If you ask a non-Sox fan, Thome's probably one of the first guys they mention about a suspicious physique due to his just massive build.

I thought he was on the stuff in his Cleveland days, so I guess it's hypocritical to say I don't think he is on it. However, I guess I am less suspecious of him now because at least as far as I can remember, he's always been that massive. Plus, I'm a sucker in that if somebody is as nice as him, i'm not as suspecious, even though that's bad logic.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:35 AM)
I thought he was on the stuff in his Cleveland days, so I guess it's hypocritical to say I don't think he is on it. However, I guess I am less suspecious of him now because at least as far as I can remember, he's always been that massive. Plus, I'm a sucker in that if somebody is as nice as him, i'm not as suspecious, even though that's bad logic.

Thome was a toothpick when he first came up with Cleveland compared to his physique now. Of course, I'm like you, and would like to give the nice guys the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, we've been burned enough with these baseball players where it's hard to say "they just gained a lot of weight as they got older".

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)

I thought I'd heard his whole family is as big as he is. But then I probably heard that from Hawk...

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:42 AM)
I thought I'd heard his whole family is as big as he is. But then I probably heard that from Hawk...

Yep, they're some big boned people. Thome was asked about 5 years ago about PEDs, and he said his PED of choice is bacon.

Edited by fathom

Manny is probably a juicer. I was watching a special in 2006 called "Flamethrowers" in which they showed every No-Hitter/Perfect Game since 1980.I was watching Jim Abbott's No-Hitter,and it was Manny's rookie year. One of the things that stood out to me is the Sosa-like transformation of Manny's body. He was about as skinny or skinnier than Sosa was on the Sox.

Edited by Elgin Slim

I would be suprised if Pujols WASN'T a juicer. He was just a 13th round draft pick in 1999. Played in Low-A ball in 2000, had a good year (.314, 19, 96), but you don't go straight from Low-A to having an MVP caliber season in 2001. I also wouldn't be shocked at all if Thome was a roider. People say he's a nice guy, but they say the same about Luis Gonzalez, and he's one of the more obvious roiders. Two other guys from the era who i'm pretty sure were on the juice are Shawn Green and Jay Bell.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 08:04 PM)
Manny is probably a juicer. I was watching a special in 2006 called "Flamethrowers" in which they showed every No-Hitter/Perfect Game since 1980.I was watching Jim Abbott's No-Hitter,and it was Manny's rookie year. One of the things that stood out to me is the Sosa-like transformation of Manny's body. He was about as skinny or skinnier than Sosa was on the Sox.

People can add weight and muscle mass as they get older. It's not uncommon. Ramirez was 22 years old in 1994.

Rookie Card

500th homer

I don't see a big enough difference. He wore a tighter uniform early in his career and as he's aged, he's gone to a real baggy like uniform. That probably explains some of it too.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
Kinda funny hearing Barry Larkin on the MLB Network saying how disappointed he is A-Rod. I looked up Larkin's power numbers:

1991 123 games, 20 HRs

1992 140 games, 12 HRs

1993 100 games, 8 HRs

1994 110 games, 9 HRs

1995 131 games, 15 HRs Free agent season

1996 152 games, 33 HRs

1997 77 games, 4 HRs

1998 145 games, 17HRs

1999 161 games, 12 HRs

2000 102 games, 11 HRs

It's real easy for players from the 90s to run their mouths because there is no way to go back and see if they were cheating or not.

I'm not sure that's proof of anything. Look up, for instance, Roger Maris' jumpy numbers. I don't know if Larkin ever used but oddities in numbers aren't obvious. Changes in body are far more obvious, and other signs. But I don't know what Larkin looked and hit like in 1996.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
I would be suprised if Pujols WASN'T a juicer. He was just a 13th round draft pick in 1999. Played in Low-A ball in 2000, had a good year (.314, 19, 96), but you don't go straight from Low-A to having an MVP caliber season in 2001. I also wouldn't be shocked at all if Thome was a roider. People say he's a nice guy, but they say the same about Luis Gonzalez, and he's one of the more obvious roiders. Two other guys from the era who i'm pretty sure were on the juice are Shawn Green and Jay Bell.

Brady Anderson was another of those guys who just shot up one year to 49 home runs...Luis Gonzalez was a borderline 4th/5th outfielder and then his career really took off, mysteriously.

Shawn Green was always pretty thin-framed, I don't remember him looking abnormal or huge compared to when he started with the Jays. In fact, he was a much better player when he was younger and then seriously regressed in his 30's, the opposite for most of those guys like McGwire, Bonds and Sosa who get better in their 30's, in terms of their power numbers.

Thome and M. Ramirez have never had "chiseled" frames...that might be another reason they've escaped scrutiny. If they looked like Gabe Kapler (who has the frame/cut of a bodybuilder but was never a true power hitter), then there would be a lot more suspicion.

You have to think that taking steroids really had an affect on Juan Gonzalez's physique as well.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 08:04 PM)

Yes, skinny to fat is proof positive of juicing.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
He'll probably admit his mistakes (more so after the completion of his career) and spend a significant amount of time educating the youth of America.

Yeah.

"Don't do steroids. All it got me were the two biggest contracts in the history of Major League Baseball and nights with the Material Girl way past her prime. Stay away!"

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
When I read Canseco's book right when it came out, everyone I knew said I shouldn't believe a word of it. It seems like the guy is proven to be right again and again, and yet nobody apologizes to him for telling the truth (because he did it for the money), when they had no problem smearing him constantly when he first released it.

I now think it wouldn't be that bad for Pujols to go down soon. That way, Thomas, Thome, and Griffey are basically the only 90's sluggers that wouldn't have been caught or suspected. All played for the White Sox and did it clean...that would be a great story.

How would Pujols being implicated change that?

RoY in 2001

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
Yeah.

"Don't do steroids. All it got me were the two biggest contracts in the history of Major League Baseball and nights with the Material Girl way past her prime. Stay away!"

That should be a facebook group. Please start it, so I don't have to!