Out of "your" Top Five White Sox moments....

wilmot825

After watching the highlights on mlb.com, I got chills down my spine and it brought a smile to my face. So after that I thought about my All-Time White Sox moments. And in the Top 5, this has to rank in there. What do you rank Game 163 in your moments?

My Sox Moments

1) World Series Game 4 to win the Championship

2) Mark Buehrle's No Hitter

3) Game 2 ALCS A.J. "strike out" (just because of how odd it was)

4) Game 163 vs. Minn.

5) Carlos Lee tattoos a grand slam in the 11th to beat the Cubs in 2000

Edited by wilmot825

1- Konerko's grand slam in Game 2 of WS

2- Game 163 (cause I was in attendance)

3- Uribe's play to end the World Series

4- AJP's homer against Dempster and Cubs in 9th inning (I was lying in a hospital bed after having my appendix removed)

5- Mark Buehrle's relief performance in Game 3 of WS.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
#1 is obviously the Sox winning the Championship in Game 4, but #2 is the ALDS performance by El Duque with the bases loaded and nobody out.

I'll think about it, but I sort of doubt game 163 even makes the top 5 for me.

I can't believe I worked that Friday instead of taking the day off to watch Game 3 vs Boston.

1. Game 4 of the 2005 World Series

2. Game 163

3. The back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs against Kansas City in 2008 with Thome, Konerko, Alexei, Uribe.

4. TIE betwee AJ's called 3rd strike in the 2005 ALCS and AJ's controversial interference call on the basepaths against TB.

5. The Sox/Cubs brawl after Barrett punches AJ.

Definitely top 3.

1) 2005 playoffs/World Series (I can't pick just one moment, too many)

2) The Buehrle no-hitter

3) Game 163

4) AJ's walkoff homer against the Dodgers in 2005

I can't think of a fifth right now.

Agreed LV. I got some personal fav's as well. Joe Crede's walk-off against the Indians (esp. Hawk's call... awesome) The 2000 clincher of the Division, Bo Jackson's opposite field homer, degenerated hip and all, Frank Thomas holding the W.S. trophy. etc.. etc..

163 ranks right up there because its the most recent. Memories get foggy after a certain length of time . I was at the Disco demolition game but as unreal as that scene was, I can't recall every single detail. Game 5 against the Angels I remember well in 2005 because I was there, 1st pennant since 1959 ( I was around for that too though I was 1 1/2 rs. old at the time)and wrote a nice piece about it on Soxtalk. El Duque getting out of the jam against Red Sox that year because I was working listening to it on radio. All the moments surrounding last game of the World Series. Thome's walkoff 500th HR. Paulie's GS and Pods walk off from the World Series too.

I know this isnt a White Sox moment but I was in Chicago visiting a friend and watching the World Series in 88 when Gibson hits his famous HR. I remember that better than any division championship s the Sox won though I do still have a Winning Ugly T shirt . :D

How about the mayhem against Detroit in 2000? 2 brawls, many suspensions, and my personal favorite, seeing White Sox fans dump water on the Tigers bullpen pitchers.

1. Game 4 of the World Series is the greatest memory. CHAMPIONS!!!!

2. Game 5 of the ALCS to go to the World Series. I honestly couldn't believe what I saw, going to the World Series!!!!

3. Podsednik's walkoff homer and Konerko's Grand Slam in Game 2 of the World Series.

4. Geoff Blum's walkoff in the 14th inning in Game 3 of the World Series. There were so many chances for the Astros to win that game. I had accepted that we would be up 2 games to 1 game going into Game 4.

5. Iguchi's go ahead homer in Game 2 of the ALDS against Boston with 2 outs. Being down 4, looking like it we were going to lose home field advantage, and scoring 5 in the 5th inning was unbelievable.

Honorable mentions:

1. Game 163 against Minnesota. After all of the crap I dealt with when the White Sox lost to the Twins in the dome, this was the sweetest thing for me. Honestly for me personally, outside of 2005, this is the greatest memory for me and maybe always will be since I had to deal with those Twins fans.

2. Buehrle's no hitter against Texas. So close to a perfect game. That was almost the only good thing in 2007.

3. Pierzynski's strike out to get on base in Game 2 of the ALCS was unbelievable.

4. Clinching the division in 2000. I was there in Minnesota at my first White Sox game. They lost the game in extra innings but Kansas City already beat Cleveland for the Sox to clinch the division.

5. In 2003, Konerko's game tying homer against Minnesota in the 9th inning with 2 outs, and Thomas' walk off homer in the 11th (I think) to beat the Twins.

9 out of 10 moments are either in 2005, or against the Twins.

Edited by WilliamTell

1.) Konerko's Grand Slam in Game 2 (This will likely be the best sports memory of my life forever)

2.) Game 4 WS Clincher

3.) Podsednik's Walk Off in Game 2

4.) Game 163 vs MIN

5.) Blum's Game Winner HR

Honorable Mention:

El Duque's 6th vs the Red Sox

Buehrle's No Hitter

Pierzynski's Walk Off vs the Dodgers

JOOE! CREEEEEEEDEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Thome's 2000th hit (I was at the game)

Thome's 500th HR Walk Off

Iguchi's GS vs the Cubs after the Barrett/Pierzynski incident

The 2005 postseason was so epic that an afterthought is Iguchi's homer in game 2 against Boston. That was probably the second biggest hit the Sox got up before the World Series, everything considered, with Crede's game winning double in game 2 of the ALCS being the biggest because it got the Sox back in the series.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
The 2005 postseason was so epic that an afterthought is Iguchi's homer in game 2 against Boston. That was probably the second biggest hit the Sox got up before the World Series, everything considered, with Crede's game winning double in game 2 of the ALCS being the biggest because it got the Sox back in the series.

I was at that game and that's the loudest I've ever heard a stadium, ever. I was at game 2 of the WS too but after the Konerko and Pods homers everything just kinda went blank for me(sounds ridiculous but it's true).

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
1. Game 4 of the 2005 World Series

2. Game 163

3. The back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs against Kansas City in 2008 with Thome, Konerko, Alexei, Uribe.

4. TIE betwee AJ's called 3rd strike in the 2005 ALCS and AJ's controversial interference call on the basepaths against TB.

5. The Sox/Cubs brawl after Barrett punches AJ.

Wow, I was in attendance at each one of your top 3 1/2 (saw AJ's dropped third strike game; missed the TB interference game). That's pretty lucky, considering I'm not even a season ticket holder.

There are some many moments that missed my list but i hold dear to my heart.

-A.J./Barrett Brawl (I was there at the game and Brian Anderson going out there swinging at the Cubs gives him White Sox Legend status for me)

-El Duque with the bases loaded

-Konerko Grand Slam in the WS

-Pods with the Walk-off in Game 2

-A.J. off Dempster in the 9th to stun the Cubs in Wrigley

-Bo Jackson....Remember this one...Fist Pump Home Run

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
After watching the highlights on mlb.com, I got chills down my spine and it brought a smile to my face. So after that I thought about my All-Time White Sox moments. And in the Top 5, this has to rank in there. What do you rank Game 163 in your moments?

My Sox Moments

1) World Series Game 4 to win the Championship

2) Mark Buehrle's No Hitter

3) Game 2 ALCS A.J. "strike out" (just because of how odd it was)

4) Game 163 vs. Minn.

5) Carlos Lee tattoos a grand slam in the 11th to beat the Cubs in 2000

My Sox Moments. Most of mine were when I was there, so those weigh more than not being there. My exception is my #2

1) Being at World Series Game 4

2) Game 1 of World Series.....Hey, it was the FIRST WS World Series game in my lifetime....didn't think it would get better than that(at that moment)

3) Any moment when I was a kid and when I got home from school, my Dad would say, "Get your glove, where going to the Sox game tonight." My Dad would just feel like going and we would go.

4) Taking my Son last year to see the Sox play the Rangers in Texas, where I live now.

5) Seeing my first No Hitter in person, although it was AGAINST the White Sox. Jack Morris in 1984.

5a) This will replace #4 in July This will be in July, but taking my Son to see the Sox play in Chicago.

1. Ending of Game 4 of WS obviously

2. Pods walkoff HR (I'm surprised that this is missing from so many people's lists. If not for above and what that meant this would easily be number 1. The sheer surprise and amazement of it all. I still go back and watch it and get goosebumps)

3. Geoff Blum's HR (who knows what happens if Astros win Game 3)

4. Game 3 of ALCS - Paulie's HR made the West Coast not seem like such a huge obsticle like I remember it being after game 2)

5. Game 2 of ALCS

6. Game 163. It's up there cause I hate the Twins, and wehn you go back and watch highlights of that stadium all in black, it's crazy.

7. Jeff Abbott HR off Wells in 2000 playing against the Twins (Don't ask me why but I remember this better than almost any play in my White Sox history)

Game 2 of the WS should be in everyone's top 3. That IMO was one of if not the greatest WS games ever played. A dramatic grand slam to take the lead, lose the lead, then a walkoff? Christ that game still gives me goosebumps.

1. WS Win/ Uribe's 9th inning performance

2. Game 2 of WS

3. The last 4 days of the '08 season.

#1: 2005 World Series...all 4 games are right there so I will lump them all in 1

#2: Game #163 just because of the sheer importance of it

#3: Buehrle's No No at home

#4: Final game at Comiskey Park 9/30/1990 I watch it on tape every now and again

#5: The return of Frank Thomas...it made me real proud when we showed the Frank video, then gave him a thunderous standing ovation...his 2 HRs were awesome, but the fact we won was the best...just the perfect game

Everything has been covered, but some that I got to attend:

-Iguchi's ALDS Game 2 shot v. Boston

-Frank Thomas' triumphant return to the Cell with the A's

-The last few leading up to 163.

Having attended Buehrle's no-hitter, this is one that really ranks up there with some of the 2005 happenings.

Probably my favorite though:

-Opening Day 2006. Banners, rain delay, the sound of fireworks in the empty Cell as Thome launches his first Sox bomb. That was magic. Later that year when I was at the Cards/Sox game that Mulder(?) left early, by the 3rd inning I was as sure as I ever was that the team was going back to the World Series. It was a cartoon of a baseball game... Funny how it was the Cards that eventually won it all.

Top since 2004:

1. WS Champ

2. 2005 AL Pennant

3. Kong WS Gm2 GS

4. Uribe catch Gm4

5. Pods Gm2 Walkoff

Crede's HR vs Cleveland

AJ vs Dodgers

Buehrle's No-hitter

Thome's walkoff 500th

Brian Anderson's catch to win 163

Rowand running down everything in CF vs. the Yankees at Yankee Stadium.

Making Chris Berman cry by sweeping the Red Sox in the '05 LDS.

Alexei's GS vs. Det

CQ's walkoff on Sunday night baseball vs. LAA.

163 was easily the best game I've been to....also topping that list would be 162, AJ's walkoff vs. Dodgers in 05, AJ vs. Barrett fight, Sox vs. Angels in 2000 when we were down 8-2 in the 7th and came back to win in the ninth, Carlton Fisk night/ceremony when he got the motorcycle in 1993.

also...it wasn't notable and he certainly wasn't beloved....but it was cool to be at Mike Jackson's 1000th game, because even still there aren't a whole lot of guys who have done that...only a dozen or so

In terms of favorite overall moments though....Games 4 of WS was unreal...game 2 was a close second...163 probably falls here....AJ drop third was great, The el duque performace...the 4th straight CG...hell even game 1 vs. boston when we came out and just trounced em was awesome...The Lee GS, the valentin HR where he did the Sosa kiss, the AJ slam off of dempster

Edited by daa84