2009 Cubs thread

daa84

I've said it before. Rich Harden hurts a pitching staff more than he helps it. He makes your bullpen work more and he makes you give him extra rest so it screws up other starters.

Now that he's not even good anymore, he's useless.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cubs sale is going through. All their fans think they're going to add a ton of money in payroll, which is unlikely from everything I've heard. With that said, don't be surprised if they trade Jake Fox for George Sherrill.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Cubs sale is going through. All their fans think they're going to add a ton of money in payroll, which is unlikely from everything I've heard. With that said, don't be surprised if they trade Jake Fox for George Sherrill.

I won't be surprised. I'll be SHOCKED. That would make no sense whatsoever for the Orioles. An above average closer for a DH? When they've already got Luke Scott? Is this something you just randomly came up with?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
Cubs send Freel to the Royals in exchange for a PTBNL. Appears to be a salary clearing move; Royals will cover a part of his remaining contract. Freel was DFA last Thursday.

But Farney (the little voice in his head) was not traded from what I have heard...the Cubs are keeping him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 12:26 AM)
What the hell has gotten into Lee?

Is he on the Iowa Cubs diet? He just isn't missing hittable pitches right now. It's crazy, as he's hitting it out easily while everyone against the Cubs has warning track power with wind blowing in.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
What the hell has gotten into Lee?

didn't see the HR tonight, but his last few...pitchers have gotten in to trouble the same way they always get into trouble with Dlee and Aramis Ramirez...pitching out over the plate (especially in hitters counts) and letting those guys lean across and extend. Gotta pound on those guys in on the hands

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
didn't see the HR tonight, but his last few...pitchers have gotten in to trouble the same way they always get into trouble with Dlee and Aramis Ramirez...pitching out over the plate (especially in hitters counts) and letting those guys lean across and extend. Gotta pound on those guys in on the hands

Absolutely gigantic hanging slider

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 06:42 PM)
Cubs are lighting up one of the best pitchers in the NL. Going to have to hope Javy pitches well against them tomorrow.

at least its not as bad as what philly did to one of the best pitchers in the NL

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 11:45 PM)
How Randy Wells performs so well is beyond me.

You can no longer question anyone who comes from the Iowa Cubs!! My grandma went to a game there, and she automatically gained 20 pts to her batting average and more power.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
You can no longer question anyone who comes from the Iowa Cubs!! My grandma went to a game there, and she automatically gained 20 pts to her batting average and more power.

Just heard that the Cubs (before tonight's game) were the same amount of games out of first that they were when Aram went down. That's an epic fail by the Brewers and Cards not to capitalize on that and put more games between them and the Cubs in 2 months time.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
Just heard that the Cubs (before tonight's game) were the same amount of games out of first that they were when Aram went down. That's an epic fail by the Brewers and Cards not to capitalize on that and put more games between them and the Cubs in 2 months time.

The division flat sucks. But it's not like the Cubs are the only team that's had injuries/ect to deal with. Ludwick/Ankiel/Carpenter/Lohse/Greene have all either spent time or are currently on the DL. The Brewers have been without Richie Weeks and Manny Parra (I can't remember if Parra got hurt or if he was sent down). I expect it to come down to the Cubs/Cardinals (although if the Brewers somehow upgrade their rotation that changes things).

The more I think about it, though, who cares if the Cubs win the division? They matchup terribly with the Dodgers, Phillies or a healthy Mets squad. You think they want to see the Giants in a short series? The way they've struggled against quality RH pitching in the playoffs the last two years? I think not.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
The division flat sucks. But it's not like the Cubs are the only team that's had injuries/ect to deal with. Ludwick/Ankiel/Carpenter/Lohse/Greene have all either spent time or are currently on the DL. The Brewers have been without Richie Weeks and Manny Parra (I can't remember if Parra got hurt or if he was sent down). I expect it to come down to the Cubs/Cardinals (although if the Brewers somehow upgrade their rotation that changes things).

The more I think about it, though, who cares if the Cubs win the division? They matchup terribly with the Dodgers, Phillies or a healthy Mets squad. You think they want to see the Giants in a short series? The way they've struggled against quality RH pitching in the playoffs the last two years? I think not.

I don't think they would do much in the postseason unless their lineup got hot at the right time and they improved their bullpen. However I'm not sold on LA and I think Philly repeats as NL Champs. I understand that Milwaukee and STL have had their issues too but with all the Cubs basically having everything go wrong the 1st half and for the other two not to have a put any distance between them and the Cubs is just asking to be passed up in a matter of time. It goes for us too, I think Detroit and Minny didn't take advantage of us when we were playing bad and hopefully we will make them pay.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 11:58 PM)
I don't think they would do much in the postseason unless their lineup got hot at the right time and they improved their bullpen. However I'm not sold on LA and I think Philly repeats as NL Champs. I understand that Milwaukee and STL have had their issues too but with all the Cubs basically having everything go wrong the 1st half and for the other two not to have a put any distance between them and the Cubs is just asking to be passed up in a matter of time. It goes for us too, I think Detroit and Minny didn't take advantage of us when we were playing bad and hopefully we will make them pay.

I wouldn't say they've had "everything" go wrong. Ramirez going down was a big blow. What else has happened to them that you can legitimately say "Damn, that's a real tough blow for them?" They've had some guys under-perform. But they've had some guys over-perform as well (Randy Wells, Jake Fox).

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 01:32 AM)
I wouldn't say they've had "everything" go wrong. Ramirez going down was a big blow. What else has happened to them that you can legitimately say "Damn, that's a real tough blow for them?" They've had some guys under-perform. But they've had some guys over-perform as well (Randy Wells, Jake Fox).

Aram out 2 months, Soriano in a 6 week slump, Harden being on DL and hasn't been very good this season, Bradley in a season long slump and a DL stint, Pot Head catcher not hitting until late June, Zambrano being on 15 day DL and suspended, having no 2nd baseman since trading DeRosa, Marmol having issues, Gregg blowing quite a few saves, etc.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
Aram out 2 months, Soriano in a 6 week slump, Harden being on DL and hasn't been very good this season, Bradley in a season long slump and a DL stint, Pot Head catcher not hitting until late June, Zambrano being on 15 day DL and suspended, having no 2nd baseman since trading DeRosa, Marmol having issues, Gregg blowing quite a few saves, etc.

Soriano- arguably in the decline of his career, might not be something "wrong" might be a trend

Harden- the guy is always injured, Cubs realistically couldn't count on him and Wells gave them great fill in

Bradley- completely dumb signing, benefited from an awesome lineup and hitters park and playing DH. He is notoriously glass and asking him to play the field on a regular basis was a bad idea

Soto- He did nothing in his minor league career before 2 years ago that would have made people thought he was a prospect, last year could be chalked up to career year or he's had "help"

DeRosa? They traded him, that wasn't something that went wrong, if they counted on a 29 and 28 year olds to duplicate great seasons then that's their fault.

Gregg- Wasn't anywhere near an elite closer, his performance shouldn't be a shock.

So that leaves A-Ram and Marmol in things that have "gone wrong" but basically everyone has dealt with injuries to an important player and bullpen guys can be up and down year to year.

This is a $140 million payroll, the performance to this point is inexcusable