2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)

Quote from this story:

"In 2003, Prior felt no pain. He starred as a rookie and finished behind a juiced Eric Gagne for the NL Cy Young award. He had pitched a shutout in Game 6 of the NLCS until the eighth inning, when Steve Bartman rendered the first seven meaningless."

Another lazy writer scapegoating the poor sap because it's a shorter, easier thing to write than it would be to place the blame where it belongs.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)
I still believe that it is an extreme amount of bad luck that has ruined Prior. I especially don't believe that his mechanics were too perfect.

Prior has AWFUL mechanics. People like Steve Stone have been saying this for a long time, and it's no surprise he's had the injury problems that he has.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
Quote from this story:

"In 2003, Prior felt no pain. He starred as a rookie and finished behind a juiced Eric Gagne for the NL Cy Young award. He had pitched a shutout in Game 6 of the NLCS until the eighth inning, when Steve Bartman rendered the first seven meaningless."

Another lazy writer scapegoating the poor sap because it's a shorter, easier thing to write than it would be to place the blame where it belongs.

Yep, it should say "when Alex Gonzalez rendered the first seven meaningless."

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
Prior has AWFUL mechanics. People like Steve Stone have been saying this for a long time, and it's no surprise he's had the injury problems that he has.

Cubs fans also seem to forget that there was entire game after that with their Ace on the mound.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)

And when Moises Alou threw a hissy-fit and incited the crowd to want to lynch an innocent fan.

And when Prior mentally imploded because a foul ball landed in the left-field seats.

And when Dusty Baker sat by and did nothing to calm his freaked-out pitcher down.

There was nothing wrong with Prior's mechanics IMHO. He had perfect form on it actually. Good setup, drove from the legs, generated most of his strength from there, then exploded to the plate in a motion which was completely under control. He repeated them perfectly too. The towel thing which he catches so much flak for is actually an excellent exercise for not only arm strength, but also for helping repeat your motions in non game situations.

There was nothing run with Prior's mechanics. He did not have a vicious or wild motion.

The problem was a string of bad luck which IMO began when he collided with Marcus Giles.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
There was nothing wrong with Prior's mechanics IMHO. He had perfect form on it actually. Good setup, drove from the legs, generated most of his strength from there, then exploded to the plate in a motion which was completely under control. He repeated them perfectly too. The towel thing which he catches so much flak for is actually an excellent exercise for not only arm strength, but also for helping repeat your motions in non game situations.

There was nothing run with Prior's mechanics. He did not have a vicious or wild motion.

The problem was a string of bad luck which IMO began when he collided with Marcus Giles.

I disagree on the collission piece. I think bad shoulder genetics were what doomed Prior. Some players just dont have the physical makeup from birth to carry that load. it happens with many players in different sports. Knees, ankles, wrists, etc, some people arent born with bones, joints and ligaments that can take the punishment.

Prior had or still has a loop in his delivery that causes immense torque on his elbow up through his shoulder. When you see his windup in a picture, you can see the "W" shape of his arms. His mechanics were far from perfect, and he didnt want to listen to anyone(which was constantly reported at the time). It is funny how now he says that he was trying to listen to everyone to fix his problems, yet nothing ever changed and he still looked the same.

And it is interesting that Tom House is quoted up and down that article and still will not admit the problems, and Prior at no point in that article mentions or supports what House says.

"We're up 3-2 in the series with Wood and Prior going the next 2. There's no way Florida can knock us off. We're going to the World Series and we'll win the Series 2-0...or are there 3 games in that? Well whatever, either way, we'll be holding the trophy in no time. MWHAHAHAHAH".

Yeah.

I love it when my Cubs fans friends always end the debates about our teams with," Chicago has been and always will be Cub town,there are a lot more Cubs fans than White Sox fans"!And I tell them,that's cool,at least you'll have lots of company to drown out your sorrows after the Cubs do their annual choke job come playoff time :lolhitting

Cubs baseball,sucking for 100 years and going!!

How is this man not considered an enemy on the North Side yet?

Standing in the plush visitors' clubhouse of Yankee Stadium, Carlos Zambrano made a plea for Chicago to replace Wrigley Field.

Advertisement

"You come into a ballpark like this and you see great things," the Cubs ace told the Associated Press on Saturday before his team's 10-1 exhibition loss at the sparkling ballpark in the Bronx.

"You wish that Chicago'd build a new stadium for the Cubs," he said.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 07:42 PM)
I hope that the Sox can get Derrek Lee from the Cubs whenever Hoffpauir takes over at 1B.

Why exactly? He's clearly on the downside of his career and is the same age as our current 1B. By the time he's gone, he probably wont be as good as our in house replacements.

Zambrano and the Cubs fans are on the same schedule as Rush Limbaugh and anyone who criticizes him: 36 hours until the apology. Every time like clockwork.

Zambrano said an Associated Press story misquoted him in reporting that he coveted a replacement for Wrigley after the Cubs' two-game exhibition series at the new Yankee Stadium in New York.

"I didn't say that," Zambrano said Sunday, according to the Chicago Tribune.

According to Saturday's story, Zambrano said "you wish that Chicago'd build a new stadium for the Cubs."

But Zambrano backed off his comments Sunday.

"I said anybody wants to have a new ballpark," the Cubs' ace said, according to the newspaper. "As a player, you feel like you're trying to be more comfortable. As a player, you want to have the greatest ballpark in the National League, or the big leagues. As a fan, we should stay there.

"I don't have a problem with Wrigley Field. That's what I said."

Zambrano said he's aware Wrigley, opened in 1914, holds critical appeal. Only Boston's Fenway Park, dating to 1912, is older.

"They don't want to build a stadium just because someone say that," he said. "But I really don't care. I just care about pitching."

Cubs fans at work are trying to make fun of me for the Sox cancelling the home opener due to snow(i just dont get it, as if it makes them wimpy or something). I sent a few of them an article from way back in 2001 when the Cubs cancelled a game for the same reason, and strangely enough I get no reply.