2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
Yeah, they're definitely flawed (like us). But all the "suck and "horrible lineup" talk isn't justified at all.

No they don't "suck" but this is not the same lineup as a couple of years ago. MCab is his normal self, but after him they only have 3 others with an OPS over .800 (Thames, Inge, and Granderson). We have 5 players over .800 OPS and that doesn't count Quentin or Ramirez. So we have a legit chance to have 7 players with an .800 OPS and the last 2 would be Pods and Getz who are not automatic outs. Nix is even a great sub with a .750 OPS. If Kotsay and Castro start hitting we will have a very solid bench as well.

For their pitching staff, they have been fairly solid as a team, but the numbers are somewhat skewed due to how good Jackson and Verlander have been. Comparing rotations, and especially after Peavy is back, we matchup very well against them.

QUOTE (almagest @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 11:17 PM)
The great Jarrod Washburn wasn't so great today. Looks like the media praise for this deal was perhaps a bit short-sighted.

I still think it will be a quality trade for them. It was his first start, I'm sure he had some extra juice pumping, and for a pitcher like him that's not good. He'll come back and give them good starts IMO

QUOTE (almagest @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)
The great Jarrod Washburn wasn't so great today. Looks like the media praise for this deal was perhaps a bit short-sighted.

Please tell me you realize this post is the precise definition of Irony.

QUOTE (almagest @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 11:17 PM)

Media praise for rental pitcher trades at the deadline tends to be over the top. Unless the pitcher is absolutely out of his mind good like C.C. was for Milwaukee last year, such trades tend to not have a huge impact since the pitcher only makes 10 to 12 starts, and usually won't help you win more than an extra 1 to 3 games (which is important, but not completely earth shattering). Combine that with the fact that Washburn has had an absolutely fluke year and is due for a regression to the means (perhaps that started last night), and maybe this trade isn't as important as people think. And as a defense for our fanbase, the reason I think most people are so excited about Peavy is we'll have him for years to come. Big difference between a rental and that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
Best case scenario, before the postseason, they get what, 10 starts from him?

He was mocking the media for rushing to conclusions. The post was ironic since it was a rushed conclusion based on one game.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
He was mocking the media for rushing to conclusions. The post was ironic since it was a rushed conclusion based on one game.

I got it. My point in reply is; when you're getting basically 10 starts from a guy, if you want good return on him, they all need to be pretty darn good.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
Exactly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
I got it. My point in reply is; when you're getting basically 10 starts from a guy, if you want good return on him, they all need to be pretty darn good.
I agree, and this is another reason why the media shouldn't have fallen all over themselves to praise this trade so quickly. Washburn having a couple bad starts could really hurt their playoff chances in a tight race.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
Boy for all the hub-ub in the offseason, Juan Cruz has been awful for the Royals. Hell there was one poster here who said he'd give up a couple good prospects in a sign in trade just to not lose a late 1st round pick.

He's not striking people out like he used to. That was the key for him in Arizona.

The Royals may be taking steps for the better, but that team is still a mess.

One of the craziest lines you may ever see, though probably not crazier than El Duque's 1+ IP, 0 ER, 4 BB line from game 3.

3.0 IP 0 H 2 ER 3 BB 2 K

That's Brian Duensing's line from Sunday. Dude didn't allow a hit and, because he walked two guys at the wrong time (because the reliever behind him sucked), he allowed 2 ER.

I was just reading the box score of the Twins/Indians game, and I noticed this:

FIELDING

E: O Cabrera (18, ground ball)

Alexei has been dreadfully inconsistent(key word dreadful), but it doesnt seem like KW downgraded the position over the offseason. He just did not upgrade it.