White Sox Mount Rushmore

Cochise

So ESPN's Page 2 has this thing about Mount Rushmore's of sports, and with baseball they did 4 iconic faces for each club. According to ESPN, the Sox Mount Rushmore would consist of Frank, Luke Appling, Nellie Fox, and Shoeless Joe.

Who would you put up there?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There definitely needs to be a representative from the '05 team preferably kicking Baines off anyone's mountain. Frank, Buehrle/Ozzie, Aparicio/Fox, Whoever. The Sox don't exactly have an illustrious history of great players, probably the worst of any team that's been around for 60+ years. You could probably make an argument for Maggs (better baseball player than Baines) and Konerko being included on Mt. Rushmore.

QUOTE (Cochise @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
According to ESPN, the Sox Mount Rushmore would consist of Frank, Luke Appling, Nellie Fox, and Shoeless Joe.

Who would you put up there?

I cant argue with that at all. It's really hard when you only have 4 places to fill when there are many who deserve. Frank is a 100% lock, Luke Appling and Nellie Fox are solid, and Shoeless Joe is more known for the Blacksox... but he was a hell of a player.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 08:47 AM)
I cant argue with that at all. It's really hard when you only have 4 places to fill when there are many who deserve. Frank is a 100% lock, Luke Appling and Nellie Fox are solid, and Shoeless Joe is more known for the Blacksox... but he was a hell of a player.

First of all Jackson only played 5 seasons with the Sox. Second, he confessed to taking money for throwing the G&*D World Series. Putting him next to Big Frank, Luke and Nellie would be like putting Blago next to Abraham Lincoln.

Ted Lyons would be my fourth. He was the face of the team for 20 years.

I'm not swayed by the tenure argument. JFK was only president for 3 years, and he is on the half-dollar. Shoeless Joe may have been the greatest all-around player to ever wear a White Sox uniform, and while he was here, he won pennants and a series. The White Sox don't have too many of those.

Lyons is deserving and I considered him, but I doubt many non-Sox fans have heard of him. Shoeless Joe is both deserving and iconic, though for both good and bad reasons.

And don't forget, Shoeless Joe was found "not guilty." Blago might not be so lucky. ;)

If this is about who represents the Sox, I think I'd have to go with Thomas/Jackson/Fox/and a two headed monster of Appling/Aparicio. Man...this is hard. Minnie Minoso is also a bit deserving just as a Sox representative. And I don't even have pitchers up there...Y'know what...forget it. I give up.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
I'd have to add the Chairman to any mount rushmore of chicago. He brought 7 titles to this city, is there another owner in sports today that has accomplished that feat?

I was going to say Big Stein, but I think he only has 6. How about the Buss family? How long have they had the Lakers?