Brian Anderson as a power hitter?

wilmot825

I know it's only spring training, but is Brian Anderson a power hitting outfielder? Last season in limited playing time he launched, correct me if I'm wrong, 6 bombs. Is it possible that this guy was made to be a hitter he was not and now we are finally seeing his true self? I do like this guy and would love for him to be the everyday CF because he is just an awesome guy all around. He has had a tough task of replacing a White Sox fan great in A-Row, but I think with not high expectations he is finally flurishing. Ozzie should give him the job, screw the leadoff hitter because whoever is at second can fill that. For example: If Anderson was in center on Gavin Floyd's near no-hitter vs. the Twins, that ball hit by Mauer would have been caught. But anyways, does anyone else see him as a solid future power hitter on this club?

Edited by wilmot825

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Mar 14, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)
For example: If Anderson was in center on Gavin Floyd's near no-hitter vs. the Twins, that ball hit by Mauer would have been caught. But anyways, does anyone else see him as a solid future power hitter on this club?

Anderson catching that ball off mauer's bat is highly debatable even with his range. It wasn't a gimme by far. I was at that game, in LF, and that ball was slicing towards LF and away from CF big time and we all know the LF (Quentin ? ) had no chance.

As is stands right now, and before ST even began, I'd like to see Brian Anderson as the White Sox Opening Day CF

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 14, 2009 -> 11:06 PM)
Brian Anderson cannot hit major league pitching as an everyday hitter in the majors.

Neither can Dwayne Wise or Jerry Owens, though :(

BA is easily a better option at CF.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Mar 14, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
From multiple replays, after Swisher left his feet he was about 2 or 3 strides away from that ball. Anderson is way faster than Swish...so I'm just saying. He may have made a catch like he did to end Game 163.

I wouldn't go as far as saying way faster, but he is faster and gets much better reads. I think he gets to that ball.

Brian Anderson cannot hit major league pitching as an everyday hitter in the majors.

There are a lot of guys that can't hit major league pitching. I think, at the very least, Anderson could put up a .725 OPS with gold glove defense in CF, and that's easily the best option the Sox have.

I don't think we've ever tried to wedge BA into any sort of category of hitter. He's always batted low in the order so there isn't much of a role he's expected to fill. Just hit the ball as best you can. So if he was naturally a power hitter, he would have shown it. Maybe with regular AB's he would show some more consistent power, but I don't think the problem has been the Sox putting a square peg in a round hole, I think the problem has been Anderson not hitting well.

This isn't to say, however, that Anderson can't hit the long ball. He's demonstrated that he can. But I doubt I'd consider him a "power hitter" when he's just a non-hitter in general. Like some have pointed out, Uribe could hit the ball a long way but nobody will let the word "hitter" within 1000 feet of him in any context.

I don't know how anyone could say BA cannot hit major league pitching. He's been given one chance to do it, really. In 2006, playing on a defending World Champion he was thrown into the role. He didn't hit, but a lot of guys don't hit initially. He started to hit a little bit that year. He hit about .300 in July/August, and then KW made one of his worst moves in stunting his growth in bringing in a washed up Erstad. Since then, BA hasn't been given consistent time. 2007, with the team as bad as it was, would have been a great opportunity to get him consistent major league ABs, but for some reason Erstad had to play as did Owens and Pods, who was certainly on the way out.

BA has a ton of talent. With the other options being Wise and Owens, giving him a legitimate shot at playing everyday, now that he has adjusted his attitude a bit should be a no brainer IMO. Unless KW goes outside the organization for a CF or moves Ramirez to CF and plays Beckham at SS, BA behind Wise and/or Owens is just dumb.

Edited by Dick Allen

Brian Anderson does have some power, esp. for a CFer. Yet the sox don't need him for that. The sox need BA to hit .260+, with a .330+ OBP. If he can do that, the sox could live with a .440 SLG from him.

Most people thought Kenny was trying to up Anderson's trade value when early in the offseason when he stated BA could hit 20 HR's and drive in 80. They might not be far off if he could play everyday say on a non-contending team, that could live with his struggles. IMO, those power numbers are less important than BA hitting for a decent avg. and getting on base with a decent OBP.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
I don't know how anyone could say BA cannot hit major league pitching. He's been given one chance to do it, really. In 2006, playing on a defending World Champion he was thrown into the role. He didn't hit, but a lot of guys don't hit initially. He started to hit a little bit that year. He hit about .300 in July/August, and then KW made one of his worst moves in stunting his growth in bringing in a washed up Erstad. Since then, BA hasn't been given consistent time. 2007, with the team as bad as it was, would have been a great opportunity to get him consistent major league ABs, but for some reason Erstad had to play as did Owens and Pods, who was certainly on the way out.

BA has a ton of talent. With the other options being Wise and Owens, giving him a legitimate shot at playing everyday, now that he has adjusted his attitude a bit should be a no brainer IMO. Unless KW goes outside the organization for a CF or moves Ramirez to CF and plays Beckham at SS, BA behind Wise and/or Owens is just dumb.

Agreed. Wise and Owens, are, at best, part of a platoon situation. Anderson could be an everyday CFer. The Sox shouldn't try to shoehorn Wise or Owens into the lineup just to find someone to hit leadoff.

BA looks like he's putting it together this spring, just at the right time as Owens and Wise are showing their flaws. Think how much satisfaction it would be for both Anderson, and the Sox, to have him earn the CF job through putting in the extra work and displaying the right kind of attitude.

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
I was impressed he hit that GS off the righty yesterday...His defense is enough to let him have the CF job if he can pull .230 at the plate

You mustn't forget that it was a 2-1 count with a nothing fastball right down the middle off of a guy who will be lucky to ever play in the major leagues.

I'm not taking anything away from the home run as Anderson did come with the big hit, but it wasn't really all that impressive. You put any other batter in that situation and he likely at the very least gets a sac fly, 9 out of 10 times.

If BA can start doing that vs. MLB pitching during the regular season however, that's a different story.

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
I was impressed he hit that GS off the righty yesterday...His defense is enough to let him have the CF job if he can pull .230 at the plate

Why settle for a .230 hitter I just do not get it. Enough of the excuses for BA that he wasn't given a chance. There is a reason they either stopped playing him or are trying to let someone else play CF, He simply is not a Major League Center fielder. If he does win the CF job this year I truly hope he proves me wrong.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
I'm not taking anything away from the home run as Anderson did come with the big hit, but it wasn't really all that impressive. You put any other batter in that situation and he likely at the very least gets a sac fly, 9 out of 10 times.

You mustn't forget that it was a 2-1 count with a nothing fastball right down the middle off of a guy who will be lucky to ever play in the major leagues.

:huh:

Quite frankly I'd rather take defense in centerfield over offense, and that's what Brian Anderson gives me. He hustles, he's got an above average arm, and he goes after every fly ball hard.

Back in 2005, this team was solid up the middle defensively. Which is one reason why Kenny Williams traded away Aaron Rowand, because he knew Brian Anderson would be able to give him a similar defensive effort day in and day out.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
Why settle for a .230 hitter I just do not get it. Enough of the excuses for BA that he wasn't given a chance. There is a reason they either stopped playing him or are trying to let someone else play CF, He simply is not a Major League Center fielder. If he does win the CF job this year I truly hope he proves me wrong.

Because his defense is spectacular. If the Sox are going to have any chance to win in '09, the defense and pitching have to great.

If BA can just hit .240 with an OBP above .300, he can be a decent player on this team. Owens is pretty much a .260 hitter with a .320 OBP, not good enough for a leadoff hitter. You might as well have Getz lead off with his .340-.350 OBP instead and have Anderson bat 9th, taking over Uribe's production, which is basically what Anderson will give you, but in centerfield instead of shortstop/3rd base.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
Because his defense is spectacular. If the Sox are going to have any chance to win in '09, the defense and pitching have to great.

Ok his defense is good, but again people don't realize he gives those outs back when he cant execute a simple bunt or move runners over with less than 1 out. If he is so spectacular there should not be 3 guys fighting for the job .

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
Ok his defense is good, but again people don't realize he gives those outs back when he cant execute a simple bunt or move runners over with less than 1 out. If he is so spectacular there should not be 3 guys fighting for the job .

Uh, really now, nobody is under any illusion about what BA is... the thing is his "competition" are just as bad or worse, but also can't defend.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)

You aren't settling for a .230 hitter. You are giving a player that has alot of talent and now some experience the chance to take the job over. I think BA is by far the best defender on the OF staff and the bat is showing some life now.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)

Wise and Owens each have a lot of flaws offensively. The other problem is if one of them is in the line-up they are almost guaranteed to hit first. Having one of your weaker offensive players batting first makes zero sense. No chance Ozzie would lead off Anderson. I hope BA can put it together and become the player KW envisioned when he sent Rowand away. The White Sox thought he would be a far superior player to Rowand. He still may be, but he cannot if he's not given an opportunity. I think if the Sox sent him elsewhere to a place he would play everyday, he would be a very nice player.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 07:58 AM)

Agree 100% with this, although to be fair I believe Anderson had wrist surgery in 2007 and missed a huge chunk of the year, which is why Owens was given a chance.