South Regional

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)
Anyone see that guy on Morgan State, flip Griffin over his back. What the hell was that? One of the most ridiculous things I have seen a player do on a basketball court.

I was there....they got their arms tangled and the Morgan State player just decided to flip him.

Oh, well. You know what they say: No expectations=no disappointment. This team was severely flawed even with Chet. Without him? We really had no chance. The comeback at the end was nice. Of course, the terrible play before that was brutal. Good season overall. Talent wise, I'd rank us below MSU, Purdue, OSU, PSU and UM from our conference. That alone should tell you how much we overachieved this year. Can't wait until Brandon Paul and the boys get here.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 12:36 AM)
Oh, well. You know what they say: No expectations=no disappointment. This team was severely flawed even with Chet. Without him? We really had no chance. The comeback at the end was nice. Of course, the terrible play before that was brutal. Good season overall. Talent wise, I'd rank us below MSU, Purdue, OSU, PSU and UM from our conference. That alone should tell you how much we overachieved this year. Can't wait until Brandon Paul and the boys get here.

+1

In November, I thought we maybe had a chance to sneak into the tourney, never thought we would manage a 5 seed. Definitely overacheived. Very enjoyable season. And with Davis, Tisdale, & McCamey improving and the recruits coming in, the future looks bright! Way to play your hearts out in your final game Meachem & Brock. They almost carried the team to victory on their own.

Only thing I am mad about this year is Alex Legion. Guy was talked up so much, and he was just a huge suckfest. If you are gonna shoot everytime you touch the ball, you gotta at least make it once in a while.

It was a pretty deplorable effort by Illinois, they showed no effort on defense for the vast majority of the game, and you can't beat anybody, not even a Sun Belt team, doing that. At the same time, Illinois isn't the same on defense without Chet and in reality probably wouldn't have been able to handle Gonzaga's firepower without him anyways, plus this was a very flawed team that overachieved in the first place. The excitement starts next year and continues in the years coming in the future with the recruiting going as well as it is though. And congrats to Michigan, I didn't think they had a chance in hell at beating Clemson, but they played a fantastic game.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
I am really starting to hate McCamey. Hard to like a guy who has a ton of talent and shows no desire to make himself great and gives no effort on D.

Demetri reminds me a lot of Frank Williams in this sense. I don't think he's ever going to be as good as Frank, but he's similar in the sense that he's very talented, puts up some fantastic performances in games, but also has games where he simply doesn't appear to have his head in the game. I never agreed with the people who said Frank didn't care, and I don't agree with the people who say Demetri doesn't care either, but I can see how you can gather such an opinion when players like them can look so good at times, and so absolutely useless at other times.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Honestly I think that's a slap in the face to Frank Williams. Put me in the camp of Williams never seeming like he cared (especially once he got his millions), but at least in college he was consistent - putting up 20+ pts and taking over games on a regular basis.

McCamey has none of this. He's terrible on defense, makes about 3 good passes a game, rarely hits an open shot, and otherwise is worthless. McCamey's word is potential, but it's for 20 second splashes and that's it. Hopefully he transforms this summer, drops some weight and decides to play some defense.

Here are my goals this off season:

Tisdale gains 75 lbs, otherwise he's worthless

Mccamey and Davis decide they want to play defense and that they want to play hard for 40 minutes...not just when the shots are falling and the team is winning.

Legion hits a shot at some point in his illinois career

Jeffrey Jordan gets an offensive game - he's turning out to be Chester Frazier Jr with better athleticism. Good D, still no O.

I think next year we're going to have the same type of season - top 3-4 in the big ten with a chance at the title, a 4-6 seed in the tourney, and perhaps a run into the second weekend if the matchups are right.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
Here are my goals this off season:

Tisdale gains 75 lbs, otherwise he's worthless

Mccamey and Davis decide they want to play defense and that they want to play hard for 40 minutes...not just when the shots are falling and the team is winning.

Legion hits a shot at some point in his illinois career

Jeffrey Jordan gets an offensive game - he's turning out to be Chester Frazier Jr with better athleticism. Good D, still no O.

I think next year we're going to have the same type of season - top 3-4 in the big ten with a chance at the title, a 4-6 seed in the tourney, and perhaps a run into the second weekend if the matchups are right.

Who do you want? Jens Kujawa? Seriously, though, Tisdale needs to get in the weight room.

McCamey yes, Davis no. I think Davis plays good D when he's on a like player. He just needs to be more consistent.

Legion needs confidence and hopefully he'll get it over the summer.

Jordan is playing a role. I think if asked, he would pick up the O.

I think they will definitely be top 3-4, but could be top 2 depending on how well the freshmen do when they come in...

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
It was a pretty deplorable effort by Illinois, they showed no effort on defense for the vast majority of the game, and you can't beat anybody, not even a Sun Belt team, doing that. At the same time, Illinois isn't the same on defense without Chet and in reality probably wouldn't have been able to handle Gonzaga's firepower without him anyways, plus this was a very flawed team that overachieved in the first place. The excitement starts next year and continues in the years coming in the future with the recruiting going as well as it is though. And congrats to Michigan, I didn't think they had a chance in hell at beating Clemson, but they played a fantastic game.

Demetri reminds me a lot of Frank Williams in this sense. I don't think he's ever going to be as good as Frank, but he's similar in the sense that he's very talented, puts up some fantastic performances in games, but also has games where he simply doesn't appear to have his head in the game. I never agreed with the people who said Frank didn't care, and I don't agree with the people who say Demetri doesn't care either, but I can see how you can gather such an opinion when players like them can look so good at times, and so absolutely useless at other times.

Frank played D, McCamey often doesn't. I don't think Demetri doesn't care but he doesn't play near hard enough, and he often takes himself out of the game mentally when he gets off to a bad start, and he is extremely lazy on D. Frank didn't always assert himself as a scorer but he always played D.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
The worst is the 5 second delayed calls once they realize Griffin didn't get his way. The crowd started to brutalize them though and UM getting some calls now.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. Haha and yeah once I posted that Michigan started getting calls.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
Does anybody want to play Syracuse right now? Unbelievable how deep the Big East is. I'm sure many would agree 'Cuse is a top 20 team in the country. Yet they're probably not a top 5 team in their own conference.

Arizona St. will beat the Orangemen

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
Gonzaga wins in a thriller 83-81. Great comeback in the last 2 minutes by Western Kentucky though.

I just hope that the media doesn't cry HUGE controversy that none of the refs saw the WKU coach calling time out with 0.9 tics left.

I just wish Gonzaga hadn't been gift wrapped a 4 seed. Their best win is Oklahoma State. Get the f*** out of here. That team sucks. ESPN can applaud them for barely beating a mid-major 12 seed, but it shows Gonzaga's level of play. UNC should slaughter them with ease.