Merkin: Marquez a "lock" to make the team

Heads22

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 03:50 PM)
Marquez will probably be the temporary #4 starter while Colon and Contreras start the season on the 15 day DL.

They'll only have 4 SPs to start the year since they won't need a #5 for a few weeks.

I don't see both those guys starting on the DL. They've still got more than enough time to adjust this spring.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 03:50 PM)
Marquez will probably be the temporary #4 starter while Colon and Contreras start the season on the 15 day DL.

They'll only have 4 SPs to start the year since they won't need a #5 for a few weeks.

After that off day on the 7th (second day of the season) the Sox play 12 straight games, unless they start the year with a 4 man rotation (which they won't) they'll need the 5th starter within the second week of the season. It also seems rather silly to start making assumptions about Contreras and Colon's status for Opening Day when there's still 3 weeks left in ST.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
He didn't look good today

At least he got the hold.

3 HRs allowed for a sinkerballer isn't very encouraging. I liked what I saw from him earlier, but there's no sugarcoating today's performance from Marquez. That's an ugly line: 3.1 IP, 6H, 4ER, and 3 HR allowed.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, is the beginning of the season a week later then it usually is?

Its probably going to be:

Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Colon, Marquez

Contreras will start on the 15 day then do a triple a rehab assignment.

Richard will be the long man out of the pen.

Poreda will start the season as a starter down in triple a. which is a good idea- he will defininitely be in our rotation next year when Contreras leaves.

If both Contreras and Colon are ready to go with the Sox out of the gate, I really hope whomever is the 6th starter goes to AAA to stay stretched out and to be ready for a problem with one of the starting 5. It doesn't make sense to me to keep your most qualified set of substitute starters in the pen, which would most likely force the Sox to go to something like their 7th or 8th best starting pitcher. If we felt that Contreras and Colon were going to give us 30 starts or so, it would be a different story. But when you feel that a DL trip is a basic certianty, you have to plan accordingly. Two of Marquez, Poreda, and Richard should be at AAA Charlotte as starters.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)
If both Contreras and Colon are ready to go with the Sox out of the gate, I really hope whomever is the 6th starter goes to AAA to stay stretched out and to be ready for a problem with one of the starting 5. It doesn't make sense to me to keep your most qualified set of substitute starters in the pen, which would most likely force the Sox to go to something like their 7th or 8th best starting pitcher. If we felt that Contreras and Colon were going to give us 30 starts or so, it would be a different story. But when you feel that a DL trip is a basic certianty, you have to plan accordingly. Two of Marquez, Poreda, and Richard should be at AAA Charlotte as starters.

I don't recall Contreras missing a lot of time in any season aside from '08. He appears to be in terrific shape with all of the weight he's lost; that combined with it being a contract year for him gives me really high expectations for Jose this year. In all likelihood, he's auditioning for the last contract of his baseball career. Colon is the guy I'm worried about. He spends a good amount of time on the DL so anything beyond 15 starts would be great from him. I think Marquez, Egbert, Richard, Poreda, and maybe even Broadway should be able to fill in nicely for the other starts.

Edited by BaseballNick

Yesterday went a long ways in showing Jose is ready to start the season, Today we will see how Colon looks. I don't see Marquez being the 5th startyer at this point and when you put Poreda and Carrasco in the mix it will be a battle for that last spot on the pitching staff. Maybe Aaron will be the surprise?

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
And when he says 50%, he means 25%.

He's still got another month. The 5th starter isn't needed until the 15th for the first time because of an offday, if we really want to push that. Without knowing how Colon is actually feeling, hearing his medical reports, whatever, it's impossible for me to judge whether he can make that date. That's basically a normal spring training duration before then.

Looks like Marquez will be in the Sox bullpen on April 6.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,552086.story

If Colon and Contreras make it, I think the bullpen is set:

Richard, Marquez, Carrasco, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, Jenks

If Richard replaces Colon, I give Randy Williams an edge over Aaron Poreda for a second lefty in the pen.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)
Personally, after watching him pitch today, I don't think Williams has an edge over anyone.

I didn't see Williams today. I know he had a nice run of scoreless innings before today. Poreda got shelled the other day. Not sure what they want to do with him.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)
Wow, I also read on there that Beckham is likely skipping AA and will go to AAA. Interesting choice in Marquez for the BP. Richard has been a lock for a while to just make this team though.

I think Gonzales might just be speculating there. Birmingham makes a lot more sense for a guy like Beckham.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)
I didn't see Williams today. I know he had a nice run of scoreless innings before today. Poreda got shelled the other day. Not sure what they want to do with him.

The thing with Poreda though, the club likely wants him to focus on throwing sliders and his secondary pitches. With someone like Williams, it's likely the club just wants him to go out and see what he has. And after seeing him today, he's extremely mediocre and it's easy to tell why he is a 34 year old journey man who hasn't even pitched in the majors the past 3 years.