Minor League Catch-All thread 2009 edition

southsider2k5

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know anything about this Garrett Johnson guy, started last night for Kanny? Looks like 29th round 2006, the dude is listed at 6'10" and 205 pounds (skinny). Spent 2007 at Bristol in relief, did terrible, but at age 19. Then in 2008 at 20, repeated Bristol and did pretty well, but as a starter (not often you see the move that direction). Now he's at Kanny at age 21, startting again.

Anyone have any knowledge on this guy, other than what I can get from baseball cube?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 08:02 AM)
Anyone know anything about this Garrett Johnson guy, started last night for Kanny? Looks like 29th round 2006, the dude is listed at 6'10" and 205 pounds (skinny). Spent 2007 at Bristol in relief, did terrible, but at age 19. Then in 2008 at 20, repeated Bristol and did pretty well, but as a starter (not often you see the move that direction). Now he's at Kanny at age 21, startting again.

Anyone have any knowledge on this guy, other than what I can get from baseball cube?

I lost a couple AAP's this offseason (Sergio Miranda traded, Po-Yu Lin released), and another one is no longer a prospect (Wassermann). So I think I may pick this guy up, if no one else minds. Seems like a long shot guy with tools, but is raw, so he could be interesting.

From Baseball America's minor league transactions for the White Sox for April 4th through the 10th...

Franklyn German, Ryan O'Malley & Brad Salmon were released.

Kyle Aselton (former Twins pitching prospect) was signed and is with B'ham.

Mark Fleisher voluntarily retired.

Ryan Z. Braun, Ricky Brooks, Justin Cassel, Clevelan Santeliz, Justin Edwards, Mike Grace, Eric Hollis (as always, he's B'ham's unofficial player/coach, bullpen/emergency active catcher, as well as a native of Alabama) & Jose Martinez were placed on the DL.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
Does anyone know much about Derek Rodriguez, the pitcher who got promoted to Charlotte? Apparently he was doing pretty well in Birmingham.

Uses two different arm slots, three quarters and sidearm, good mix of pitches, strikes out a lot of batters, can be a late inning reliever/closer.

• 2 weeks later...

Miguel Socolovich was placed on the W-S DL and Kevin Asselin was promoted (from extended spring training I assume) to take his place. He pitched for Bristol last year and was a 30th round pick in 2008.

So I was just doing some digging around and found out that Tyler Flowers and Drew O'Neil (our 4th round pick last year) were high school teammates. Nothing groundbreaking, but just thought I'd share.

BA On Viciedo

Fred (Ohio): How disappointing is the performance of Dayan Viciedo? I thought he would have a period of adjustment; however, I didn't think he would struggle this much with pitch recognition.

Ben Badler: I couldn't believe people thought before the season that he had a chance to start the year in Chicago. I was surprised they even put him right in Double-A. He has raw power, but like you said, his pitch recognition looks woeful right now. He probably belongs in high Class A in the Carolina League.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 15, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
I can't believe people get paid to write this stuff. Any moron could look at his stats/age and ascertain what Badler said. I want his job: just writing fairly obvious statements about players.

I've been saying that about him all season so far.

From ProjectProspect.com

According to thebaseballcube.com's draft data, 18 shortstops have been selected Top 10 overall since 1989. Not counting Tim Beckham (2008, No. 1 overall pick) and Gordon Beckham (2008, No. 8), eight of them still haven't spent a full season in the big leagues (that's 44.4%). And three of them have never played in the bigs.

Pretty telling statistic and if I were a scouting director it would probably scare me a bit about taking a SS super early in the draft. Than again, I tend to believe shortstops are the best athletes in the field and as a rule of thumb I'd draft quite a few of em throughout the draft with a theory they could play any up the middle position.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 15, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
From ProjectProspect.com

Pretty telling statistic and if I were a scouting director it would probably scare me a bit about taking a SS super early in the draft. Than again, I tend to believe shortstops are the best athletes in the field and as a rule of thumb I'd draft quite a few of em throughout the draft with a theory they could play any up the middle position.

It helps that if a guy can play SS, he can be moved to many different postions, including OF in many cases.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 15, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
From ProjectProspect.com

Does that count SS who eventually move to 2B, 3B, CF, etc.

Chipper Jones, 1990 (#1)

Tim Costo, 1990 (#8)

Derek Jeter, 1992 (#6)

Preston Wilson, 1992 (#9)

Michael Tucker, 1992 (#10)

Alex Rodriguez, 1993 (#1)

Matt Brunson, 1993 (#9)

Josh Booty, 1994 (#5)

Chad Hermansen, 1995 (#10)

Michael Cuddyer, 1997 (#9)

Felipe Lopez, 1998 (#8)

Corey Myers, 1999 (#4)

Luis Montanez, 2000 (#3)

BJ Upton, 2002 (#2)

Scott Moore, 2002 (#8)

Drew Meyer, 2002 (#10)

Matt Bush, 2004 (#1)

Chris Nelson, 2004 (#9)

Justin Upton, 2005 (#1)

Troy Tulowitski, 2005 (#7)

Mike Moustakas, 2007 (#2)

I count 21. All were drafted as shortstops according to B-R. I'd say that statistic can be interpreted any way you would like it to be.