The Official "Please Acquire Elijah Dukes" Thread

TheHolyBovine

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
Willits .391 OBP in 430 AB's in 2007 and Blanco's .366 OBP in 430 AB's in 2008 says otherwise.

Exactly, I'll pass on Dukes. He won't come cheap enough for it to be worth the risk. I'd rather have Blanco or Willits.

QUOTE (TheHolyBovine @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
Tampa got better because their talented pitching staff simultaneously gelled and dominated.

Actually, no. Tampa improved their defense more than anyone in the league. They went from worst to first in defensive efficiency, basically. Was it the pitching? 70% of the innings came from pitchers they had the year before.

As for Dukes, are you guys crazy? He can't play on one of the worst teams in baseball, and yet you guys want to trade our top 5 prospects for him. He is worth very little. Poreda? Shelby? Anyone not named Beckham? I'll bet a few guys outside of our top 20 would do the job.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 09:04 PM)
Elijah Dukes for Adam Russell etc. is laughable.

The Nats would start with Poreda... start with Poreda.

He is 24 and posted an .860 OPS in '08. He is a legit 30/30 candidate.

I'd trade ANY of our minor league talent outside of Beckham for him. Yep.

Yeah, i wouldnt be against trying to get Dukes if he came at a reasonable price, Shelby and Poreda, Poreda and PTBNL(Dexter/Carter)

Just because hes some issues shouldnt deterent us from getting the best possible talent we can.

Ideally id prefer KW go get Willits or Blanco on the cheap, if for nothing else they'd be a huge upgrade over what we have now; possibly they pan out at league average and if not you've got a nice looking 4th OF keeping the spot warm for Danks or Shelby in the not too distant future.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
I'm all for big families, I want a lot of kids... but there is a big difference between that, and having 10+ kids with several different women all by the time you are 20. Not to mention impregnating a 17 year old when he was 24.

That just shows a complete lack of morals and complete disregard for human life quite frankly.

1. Im sure he didn't plan to have kids with several different women, some guys prefer to raw dog it and use the pull and pray method.. Its possible he is just unlucky, but I think its fair to say no one WANTS to have several kids with several women.

2. Plenty of people sleep with multiple women, there is nothing immoral about that at all. Sex is awesome, and if you enjoy it why wouldn't you have sex with lots of people? I have a friend that is in the 100's, none of them have gotten pregnant and hes not a condom man, which brings me back to point #1 that maybe he is just unlucky in that department.

3. Are you saying that a 24 year old sleeping with a 17 year old is immoral? Or is it that she got pregnant? Is that because shes 17? Do you realize that in most places being 17 is legal age of consent? Or are you saying sleeping with someone 7 years younger than you is immoral? If shes 24 and hes 31 is it still immoral?

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 09:20 PM)
Charged with threatening to kill his wife.

Rumored to have impregnated a 17 year old.

and now has a special assistant that goes everywhere with him to make sure he stays out of trouble.

:lolhitting

Do you know who else has a special assistant that goes everywhere with him? One Mr. Hamilton. Now i know hes repented and hes been clean for a while; but hes just as likely to falter as dukes. People grow up and mature and if the price is right to acquire Dukes sign me up, if he has an assiant and is activley seaking help i think thats great, that the baseball world might be able to see his talent shine. Lastly since dukes has been in WAS i havent heard or read a single bad thing about him, seems like hes been a team player.

Elijah Dukes: A decade of trouble (1997-2007)

(This 2007 article from the St. Petersburg Times doesn't go into the baseball problems he had with coaches, team mates, etc... of which there were quite a few. This is just a listing of his legal problems.)

At age 22, Tampa Bay Devil Rays outfielder Elijah Dukes has amassed dozens of contacts with law enforcement and the court system. They range from traffic stops to paternity suits to his own calls to report being a crime victim to calls others made to report his actions. The following list was compiled from public records showing some contacts with the system. In some cases, records could not be obtained to show the resolution.

Sept. 29: Dukes, 13, is arrested on a battery charge, according to Tampa police records. Because he's a juvenile, no details are available.

Nov. 21: Dukes is again arrested on a battery charge, but because of his age details aren't available.

Dec. 8: Hillsborough sheriff's deputies are called to Dukes' home after he fights with NiShea Gilbert. She says he threw a remote control at her. Prosecutors later drop the charges against Dukes.

Dec. 25: Dukes is pulled over on suspicion of careless driving. When a Tampa police officer approaches, he calls her obscene names, according to an arrest report. The officer yanks him out of the car after he tries to roll up his window and charges him with obstructing an officer without violence. He is allowed to enter a misdemeanor intervention program and charges are dropped.

Jan. 30: Dukes calls Hillsborough sheriff's deputies after a fight with Gilbert, accusing her of spraying him with an unknown substance from an aerosol container. He tells deputies he wants to document the incident but doesn't want to prosecute.

March 16: Gilbert files for child support from Dukes for their son. A judge orders Dukes to start paying $222.26 per month at a later date. Dukes is already $23,337 in arrears, and the debt is factored into his monthly payments.

April 26: Gilbert calls Hillsborough deputies and says Dukes is harassing her and making threatening phone calls. No arrest is made.

April 28: Gilbert files for a protective order, also known as a domestic violence injunction, against Dukes, accusing him of peppering her with telephone calls threatening to kill her. She said she also receives threatening calls from other members of his family. A judge denies her order.

Sept. 15: Dukes' ex-girlfriend, Carla Bryant, asks a judge to order a paternity test. It shows Dukes is the father of her baby.

Oct. 12: Gilbert calls Hillsborough deputies and says Dukes threw a soda can and a candy jar at her. No arrest is made.

Oct. 15: Gilbert files for another protective order against Dukes.

Oct. 25: Bryant files for a protective order against Dukes.

Oct. 28: A judge grants Gilbert's order and bars Dukes from contacting her for one year.

Oct. 31: A judge grants Bryant's order and bars Dukes from contacting her for one year.

Jan. 18: Dukes quarrels with his sister, Katrina Evans. Evans tells Tampa police he grabbed her by the throat and punched her in the left arm. Dukes is charged with battery. He does not contest the charge and is sentenced to one year of probation.

Jan. 24: Dukes' ex-girlfriend, Zanquesha Jefferson, files a request for prosecution with Tampa police. In it, she says Dukes came to her home and choked her. No charges are filed.

March 10: A paternity test shows Dukes is the father of Shantell Mitchell's baby, who was born on June 7, 2004.

June 16: Gilbert gives birth again and adds the baby to her child support claim against Dukes.

Aug. 8: Dukes is ordered to pay Shantell Mitchell $881.73 per month in child support until $10,871 in retroactive support is paid off. After that, he must pay $734.78 per month.

Feb. 27: Dukes marries NiShea Gilbert.

May 1: Gilbert files a petition for divorce, claiming Dukes married her to avoid paying child support. She accuses him of being abusive.

June 5: Gilbert voluntarily dismisses her petition for divorce.

Aug. 24: Hillsborough sheriff's deputies arrest Gilbert after she scratches Dukes in the back during an argument. Charges are later dropped.

Sept. 20: Dukes and Shantell Mitchell reach a settlement allowing their child to live with him for the six months of the year he is in Tampa. Child support is suspended; Dukes informally agrees to pay for the child's expenses.

Jan. 15: Dukes and his passenger, Willie Evans, 23, are arrested during a traffic stop after Tampa police find about 2 grams of marijuana in his car. The case is pending.

March 8: The child support case between Dukes and Gilbert is settled through mediation.

April 26: Porcia Reneal Daniels files a paternity suit, which includes a test result showing Dukes is the father of her baby born on July 19, 2006.

April 30: A Hillsborough County deputy issues Dukes a trespass warning after he shows up at Beth Shields Middle School in Ruskin, where Gilbert teaches. The deputy says Dukes was "very irate."

May 1: Gilbert files for a protective order against Dukes.

May 14: A judge throws out the petition after Gilbert fails to show up for a hearing.

May 17: Gilbert again files for a protective order.

May 23: The St. Petersburg Times reports allegations by Gilbert that Dukes threatened to kill her and their children.

May 29: Dukes apologizes to "family, teammates, the fans and the organization" for causing a distraction.

May 30: Gilbert gets a one-year protective order and says she has filed for divorce.

June 13: The Times reports that a teen who lived in the foster care of a relative Dukes told police the Rays outfielder got her pregnant. Detectives believe the sex was consensual and no crime was committed, but according to the police report the incident has prompted a review of the foster home.

June 19: Dukes calls a Tampa radio station to defend himself and his family and make further accusations against Gilbert. Rays officials acknowledge they are frustrated over the continued distractions.

June 22: The troubled outfielder is optioned to the minor leagues and placed on the temporary inactive list.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 12:24 AM)
Dec. 8: Hillsborough sheriff's deputies are called to Dukes' home after he fights with NiShea Gilbert. She says he threw a remote control at her. Prosecutors later drop the charges against Dukes.

Jan. 30: Dukes calls Hillsborough sheriff's deputies after a fight with Gilbert, accusing her of spraying him with an unknown substance from an aerosol container. He tells deputies he wants to document the incident but doesn't want to prosecute.

March 16: Gilbert files for child support from Dukes for their son. A judge orders Dukes to start paying $222.26 per month at a later date. Dukes is already $23,337 in arrears, and the debt is factored into his monthly payments.

April 26: Gilbert calls Hillsborough deputies and says Dukes is harassing her and making threatening phone calls. No arrest is made.

April 28: Gilbert files for a protective order, also known as a domestic violence injunction, against Dukes, accusing him of peppering her with telephone calls threatening to kill her. She said she also receives threatening calls from other members of his family. A judge denies her order.

Oct. 12: Gilbert calls Hillsborough deputies and says Dukes threw a soda can and a candy jar at her. No arrest is made.

Oct. 15: Gilbert files for another protective order against Dukes.

Oct. 28: A judge grants Gilbert's order and bars Dukes from contacting her for one year.

Feb. 27: Dukes marries NiShea Gilbert.

WTF?

Edited by sweatpants

Again, I don't think anyone is willing to stand up and say Dukes isn't troubled and doesn't carry risk. He's very troubled. He carries a lot of risk. He's a violent person. He's prone to trouble. His behavior is a potential disaster.

I want him in center field anyway. The man is very, very good at baseball.

If you're telling me that Dukes isn't worth giving up a prized prospect because it's possible that he's out of baseball in two years due to his rap sheet, hey, I agree with you.

If you're telling me that Dukes isn't worth being on the team because he's a bad person, I don't buy that at all.

All you can do is give this guy a chance. I wouldn't recommend giving up anything valuable or paying him millions of dollars, but if there was an opportunity to bring him in for something we wouldn't miss, you can't pass that up.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/Jonny-Gomes.shtml

We might as well stick Jonny Gomes in CF since we've never cared about defense in the past five years...maybe we could catch lightning in a bottle. He's still under 30 years old, even though it seems like he has been around forever.

And we wouldn't have to give up anything of value...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
The fact of the matter is, there are a bazillion better options than Dewayne Wise who can be had for a cheap return.

Yep.

I wonder how long it'll be till KW will pull the trigger though.

Considering we have 4 picks early on in the upcoming draft, KW shouldn't hesitate to move one of our better prospects not named Beckham or Poreda if the deal is right.