Wilson Betemit

fathom

What is his point on the roster? At this point, with the way he's being used, you might as well release him when Wise is healthy and promote Nix for Owens. I had high hopes for Betemit when we got him, but you need to have him get his ABs against RHP.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Same reason why Lillibridge made the team. Don't want to make the Vazquez and Swisher trades look like salary dumps. They want to try and show at least 1 player in each trade return contribute to the big league team.

Why not? Plus I wouldn't consider Vazquez a dump (which he kinda was anyway)...but getting Flowers for the future bodes well. I'm not completely unhappy with Lillibridge either.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
Wilson Betemit... What is his point on the roster?

Backs up Fields and Konerko?

Have to have somebody on the roster to fill that role.

I'm not sure who you would have sat today if Betemit played.

Not typical that you face one of the best pitchers in baseball and start backup players unless absolutely necessary.

Edited by scenario

Ozzie's decision on Fields playing over Betemit. Simple.

Everyone knows Wilson was good against RHP last year, but it seems Ozzie wants Josh to play almost every day, unless he's just not hitting at all. From the way Fields has been swinging and missing so many pitches, it wouldn't have been the worst idea to sit him for one game, but he did have an RBI single, in Ozzie's defense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
Good point about needing the 1b back-up. Oh, and I would have played him either at 3rd base today or find a way to play him at 2nd base. If Getz is out an extended period, we're going to have to get some offense from that position.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/Fielding/B/...n-Betemit.shtml

Betemit has only played 18 games combined at 2B (majors/minors) in the last four seasons.

I don't think he played there once in ST. If they DL Getz, Nix will be up and starting nearly every game I have a feeling. They must realize that Lillibridge isn't a leadoff hitter by now.

If Getz is out, you almost have to use either Ramirez (to see more fastballs) or Anderson in that spot. Forget about Fields hitting first.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
Same reason why Lillibridge made the team. Don't want to make the Vazquez and Swisher trades look like salary dumps. They want to try and show at least 1 player in each trade return contribute to the big league team.

Um actually Lillibridge made the team because we needed someone who can backup the MI. If Nix never got injured, I'd bet Lillibridge would have never started the season on the 25 man roster.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
Good point about needing the 1b back-up. Oh, and I would have played him either at 3rd base today or find a way to play him at 2nd base. If Getz is out an extended period, we're going to have to get some offense from that position.

I really think Betemit needs more playing time at 3B. He had that rough two game stretch against TB where he struck out like 6 times, but he also had a couple solid base hits in that span as well. Whenever we face a pitcher who throws harder than 92-94, Betemit should be starting.

From watching Fields this year, he has consistently been late on almost everything, and he still struggles to hit even 91 mph fastballs right over that plate.

Fields' swing was short and quick in ST.

If you remember, he was pulling everything into LF, which was a concern. As the spring continued, his swing got a lot bigger and this forced him to hit almost everything to RF and RCF.

The last 2 weeks, his triples and his homer and solid strokes have all come in this direction.

He has to be more quick and direct to the ball or he'll end up a very below-average 3B both defensively AND offensively.

Most troubling is the "swing and a miss" routine on 84 to 98 MPH fastballs right down the pike.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 12:29 AM)

If you remember, he was pulling everything into LF, which was a concern. As the spring continued, his swing got a lot bigger and this forced him to hit almost everything to RF and RCF.

The last 2 weeks, his triples and his homer and solid strokes have all come in this direction.

He has to be more quick and direct to the ball or he'll end up a very below-average 3B both defensively AND offensively.

Most troubling is the "swing and a miss" routine on 84 to 98 MPH fastballs right down the pike.

I also want to know what the hell was that little loopy thing Fields was doing at the end of his swing today.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 06:29 PM)

His homer was a solid swing, but any true power hitter would have pulled it or it hit it dead center.

He's been playing well, but you summed it pretty well. He is late on almost everything, and the swing and miss routine is definitely the most troubling and aggravating. If you can't hit a 90 mph fastball right down the middle, you shouldn't be in the majors.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 11:43 PM)
His homer was a solid swing, but any true power hitter would have pulled it or it hit it dead center.

He's been playing well, but you summed it pretty well. He is late on almost everything, and the swing and miss routine is definitely the most troubling and aggravating. If you can't hit a 90 mph fastball right down the middle, you shouldn't be in the majors.

The problem with putting Fields 2nd in the order is he mentally might be changing his approach to be a slap hitter. Fields isn't a good enough contact hitter to be in that role, and that's why he's so much better off being a slugging #6 or 7 hitter.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
Um actually Lillibridge made the team because we needed someone who can backup the MI. If Nix never got injured, I'd bet Lillibridge would have never started the season on the 25 man roster.

Jason Nix can't play shortstop. Even in the minors, he hasn't played a game there since he was 18 years old back in 2001. Ozzie tried him one game there in ST, I didn't see it, but Ozzie never put him back there again.

Lillibridge is #1 backup at both SS and 2B, #3 in CF. Nix is in an either or proposition versus Chris Getz. One or the other will be on the DL or in Charlotte.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 02:14 AM)
I agree that Betemit is the 1B backup and can play 3B etc, but I am not certain he is a better option that Swisher was. I have to assume that trade was more for Marquez.

No, the company line was it was made to free up money for Viciedo (not exactly lighting it up right now). However, it's more likely KW just wanted to get rid of Swisher ASAP in the offseason. Hopefully he had a lot of offers and this was the best. That's about the only way to justify what seems like a pathetic haul for a guy who's hitting 4th for the Yankees.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 02:51 AM)
No, the company line was it was made to free up money for Viciedo (not exactly lighting it up right now). However, it's more likely KW just wanted to get rid of Swisher ASAP in the offseason. Hopefully he had a lot of offers and this was the best. That's about the only way to justify what seems like a pathetic haul for a guy who's hitting 4th for the Yankees.

I remember that line from Sox management. Can we figure out why Swisher fell out of favor? Contract or not the guy was a hustler and a great clubhouse presence unless KW didn't like all the joking around. Maybe they just didn't think they had a spot for him? I was confused at the time of the trade and still am

Edited by elrockinMT

Swisher wore out his welcome by hanging his head towards the end of the year. He was most definitely playing out of position, offensively and defensively, but he didn't have a place here not starting...and after last year, he wasn't going to start here.

And fathom...I know you are a pessimist...but it wasn't a bad trade at the time. Give Marquez some time...he'll come around. JMHO.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
And fathom...I know you are a pessimist...but it wasn't a bad trade at the time. Give Marquez some time...he'll come around. JMHO.

It was an awful trade at the time and continues to be horrible. The only way it can be considered good is if you look at it as a straight salary dump, as we got essentially nothing back for him.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
It was an awful trade at the time and continues to be horrible. The only way it can be considered good is if you look at it as a straight salary dump, as we got essentially nothing back for him.

Really...you are going to judge a trade by 18 games? I'll just say I disagree and leave it at that.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 06:02 PM)

That's funny, because I'm almost always optimistic when it comes to trades. That was a terrible trade at the time, and is even worse now with the pathetic way Betemit's being used and Marquez proving last year's numbers weren't a fluke.