Sox vs. Tribe 5/13 @ 11:05

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ May 13, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
Again, with Lillibridge, I just don't get his whole set-up. He's got the bat held high, with his hands way up above his shoulders. Now here's a guy whose swing is too long; why would a hitting coach let a guy who can't get around on the ball start so that he has to bring his hands down and then try to catch up?

Lillibridge has a long swing that's not mechanically sound, and he has a really big uppercut...they showed his swing from the side last night and it was comical how it looked liked Willie Mays Hayes from Major League.

He has hit two ball to the left of 2nd base all season, one was last night. I think the other was on a hanging curveball he flared into LCF for a single.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 13, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
Yep, unfortunately for Jim he was stuck on a club for 12 years that hasn't won a title in 60 years.

If we're out of it at the deadline I really hope we find a way to deal Jim to a contender, he deserves a damn ring.

Me too. I think him and Dye will have significant value. I'm not saying we'll get much in terms of prospects but if we get one guy for each of them that has upsie and could help the club long term than those are must deals. Plus you'd get cash that could be utilized next year or on draft picks/international signings.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 13, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
Mark looks good. Didn't think Victor's HR was that well hit. If we get 3 off Lee, we will win.

/crosses fingers

Your kinda asking alot with that 3 spot.

It is very possible that Jordan could hit a major league fastball better than Lillibridge. It's not like it's some trick pitch he's never seen. Can we set up some sort of Hitting challenge between the two, simply to humiliate the Bridge.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 13, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
Mark looks good. Didn't think Victor's HR was that well hit. If we get 3 off Lee, we will win.

/crosses fingers

That ball was hit VERY hard...it was on the outer half of the plate and up, Victor drilled it to RCF almost 400 feet.

Didn't look like it was gone right off the bat, but he had a lot of underspin on it and it just kept sailing. But it certainly wasn't muscled out like Thome's ball to RF last night (2nd homer).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
I swear Getz is faster than Lillibridge and might have beaten the relay there.

Esteban Belte, Jr., your ticket is already purchased for Charlotte Friday.

Yesterday was the first time all season we beat a pitcher who entered the game with a +6 ERA, and we face three "no names" (Cecil is known to some) at Toronto, where we've won about 1 of our last 10 games against TOR.

08: 1-3

07: 1-3

06: 3-3

5-9 the last 3 years. Didn't realize we struggled so much there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
Jordan has now slumped to .429 as we speak.

I'm with Harrelson, Birmingham is a lot more interesting than the major league club.

At least the major league club is more interesting than the Knights :lolhitting

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 13, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
08: 1-3

07: 1-3

06: 3-3

5-9 the last 3 years. Didn't realize we struggled so much there.

But I think overall, we were something like 1-9 or 2-8 in our last ten games against them...what was our head to head last year and in 2007?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
I swear Getz is faster than Lillibridge and might have beaten the relay there.

Esteban Belte, Jr., your ticket is already purchased for Charlotte Friday.

Yesterday was the first time all season we beat a pitcher who entered the game with a +6 ERA, and we face three "no names" (Cecil is known to some) at Toronto, where we've won about 1 of our last 10 games against TOR.

Getz is faster than lillibridge. I've been told that Getz is one of the fastest guys down the line in the majors. It's not necessarily because he's super super fast, rather he gets out of the box fast and has a quick first few steps. He's not high end speed, but he's still very fast. Faster than Lilli on the paths.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 13, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
We have a 33 year old with slightly above average speed and a .250 OBP in the 2 hole.

Yet its fire Greg Walker. How many runs can anyone expect some of these line-ups to score? Wise, Lillibridge leading off. Lillibridge batting second? Lillibridge being asked over and over again to execute a hit and run so Ozzie can empty the bases. The lack of scoring is on KW and JR mostly and on Ozzie partially for some of the line-ups he's assembled.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 13, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
It is very possible that Jordan could hit a major league fastball better than Lillibridge. It's not like it's some trick pitch he's never seen. Can we set up some sort of Hitting challenge between the two, simply to humiliate the Bridge.

Maybe he could, but calling him up right now would be detrimental to the development of Jordan Danks and that is not something you want to do.

Only one ball out of the infield so far through 12 batters.

Ummm....can't believe we're starting Richard again when it's pretty obvious he has only one pitch and gets crushed the 2nd time through the line-up.

Try Carrasco or Omogrosso next time. He's only given up 1 run through 4 IP today and has an ERA under 2.00. If he fails, it's not a huge deal, because he's expected to end up as a reliever anyway. The consequences aren't the same in terms of development with Poreda getting flattened three outings in a row and going back to the minors.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 13, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)

There are a lot of guys in AA and AAA and in A ball and rookie ball who can hit a major league fastball better than Lillibridge who will never get a sniff of the big leagues.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
Yet its fire Greg Walker. How many runs can anyone expect some of these line-ups to score? Wise, Lillibridge leading off. Lillibridge batting second? Lillibridge being asked over and over again to execute a hit and run so Ozzie can empty the bases. The lack of scoring is on KW and JR mostly and on Ozzie partially for some of the line-ups he's assembled.

Completely agree, right now you can't blame Oz. As long as he didn't tell Kenny that he was fine with Owens/Wise/BA. Look, bottom line, most of the reason this offense has looked so bad is injuries. We've had Quentin/Fields/Thome/Dye/Getz all miss some semblance of time and production due to injuries. That is pretty significant this early in the season. Anyteam would be struggling losing that sort of production and the reason I include Fields in the mix is that he was actually hitting good when he went down and I keep hoping the reason he's struggling is that he's still hurting or something like that (and that he's getting close to getting healthy). But thats just me being a crazy optimist.

Note: I don't mention Wise/BA's injuries cause it was stupid to go into a season with either of them being starters.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 13, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
Maybe he could, but calling him up right now would be detrimental to the development of Jordan Danks and that is not something you want to do.

Couldn't agree more. I bet you'd be intersted in the results tho

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 13, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
I realize it's early in the season, and we're missing a few keys guys because of injuries, but I'm starting to see what fans of the Pirates have been feeling for over a decade.

add in the Royals, Nationals, Padres (now), Reds, Orioles and Mariners since the glory years at beginning of decade