Pure Spectulation

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 19, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
What about JD? He's destined for 1B/DH anyway. Train him at 1B and have him play there while Delgado is injured, and when Delgado comes back, you put Dye in LF or RF, depending on which of Murphy or Church is doing worse.

If we're talking the Metropolitans though...in terms of dealing JD, I'm not sure they have anything that really interests me right now. Martinez would be nice but they're simply not moving him in a deal for a rental. Beyond him there's John Niese, who is currently struggling with the big league team as a starting pitcher, and then a bunch of guys either down in A-Ball or who aren't looking that great at the upper levels. If the Mets wanted to give up Martinez for him, yeah I'd do that now, but otherwise, what would happen is I wouldn't want to give up on the Sox's season yet, and the longer the Mets wait the closer Delgado gets to coming back.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say the official point to see if we are contenders or pretenders in June 15. If we are still sucking by then, blow it up. If we start to look good, keep in tact and go for the division crown.

However, as others have said in the past, the worst thing the ball club can do right now is hang around somewhere in the middle where they're bad, but not bad enough to give up hope.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 19, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
I say the official point to see if we are contenders or pretenders in June 15. If we are still sucking by then, blow it up. If we start to look good, keep in tact and go for the division crown.

However, as others have said in the past, the worst thing the ball club can do right now is hang around somewhere in the middle where they're bad, but not bad enough to give up hope.

Either way...if we're just hanging around 3rd in the division, KW will do something at the deadline. I don't know which direction it will be, but think about his history...in 2003, 2004 when we were sort of in-between, he went out and grabbed people and gambled.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
Either way...if we're just hanging around 3rd in the division, KW will do something at the deadline. I don't know which direction it will be, but think about his history...in 2003, 2004 when we were sort of in-between, he went out and grabbed people and gambled.

I think this is somewhat similiar to what Billy Beane did with the A's last year. They experienced early sucess, but Beane thought they couldn't keep pace long-term and sold nearly all of his assets. I think KW will do something similiar even if we start to win. The huge difference, of course, is our division.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 19, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)

For some reason, I thought JD had a NTC tied into his contract. That was his last contract.

Worth mentioning is that JD becomes a 10/5 player next season, if his option is picked up.

QUOTE (beck72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 05:02 AM)
Konerko wouldn't waive his no trade clause to go to the Mets. Anyway, too early to blow it all up.

Konerko has said he would waive his NTC if the team wanted it. I'd say that pretty much means that his NTC is meaningless.

I would like to think that Dye would be more attractive than Konerko for the Mets in a sense where Dye would be a free agent after this seasons (pending the BO option), so when Delgado returns- he could play some OF as well. Not to mention they wouldn't be in a situation next year of having both Delgado and Konerko under contract. Fernando Martinez is the guy i want from New York. I would sweetn up the pot by offering Dye, Getz and Dotel. These 3 guys would immediatley make New York a contender and the Mets would get their new 2B. The Castillo experiement is going to end sooner or later.

If thats not enough for New York throw in another piece.

For the Sox, they would have their CF of the future and it would make room for future phenom Gordon Beckham to come on up and play 2B.. . .

KW needs to explore all avenues to try and aqcuire Fernando Martinez.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 20, 2009 -> 05:51 AM)
I would like to think that Dye would be more attractive than Konerko for the Mets in a sense where Dye would be a free agent after this seasons (pending the BO option), so when Delgado returns- he could play some OF as well. Not to mention they wouldn't be in a situation next year of having both Delgado and Konerko under contract. Fernando Martinez is the guy i want from New York. I would sweetn up the pot by offering Dye, Getz and Dotel. These 3 guys would immediatley make New York a contender and the Mets would get their new 2B. The Castillo experiement is going to end sooner or later.

If thats not enough for New York throw in another piece.

For the Sox, they would have their CF of the future and it would make room for future phenom Gordon Beckham to come on up and play 2B.. . .

KW needs to explore all avenues to try and aqcuire Fernando Martinez.

You don't trade 3 players for 1 prospect, and you certainly don't look to deal Getz at the current moment. What you are suggesting is merely an XBox trade.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 20, 2009 -> 06:51 AM)
I would sweetn up the pot by offering Dye, Getz and Dotel.

Is their anyone else you'd like to offerfor a guy whose tools are yet to fully match his numbers, and may or many not even perform at the Major League level?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 20, 2009 -> 08:17 AM)
You don't trade 3 players for 1 prospect, and you certainly don't look to deal Getz at the current moment. What you are suggesting is merely an XBox trade.

Not really an XBox trade. . . an XBox trade would be DJ Carasco for Johan Santana. Fernando Martinez would most definitley be worth 1 season of Dye, Dotel and rookie Getz. . In fact that would be a steal. .

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
Rumor on ChiSox.com that the Sox are close to acquiring Peavy....now THAT's "spectulation"!

We're talking about this in the chat. http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?autocom=chat

The rumor from that board is a deal involving Richard, Poreda, and two PTBNLs. Yes, it seems ridiculous; but to everyone doubting this the person who posted the rumor supposedly has been correct in the past.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
We're talking about this in the chat. http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?autocom=chat

The rumor from that board is a deal involving Richard, Poreda, and two PTBNLs. Yes, it seems ridiculous; but to everyone doubting this the person who posted the rumor supposedly has been correct in the past.

Is there a link to the story?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)

Interesting. A couple of things make it possible, dispite the Peavy salary.

First of all, we have a ton of salary coming off of the books in the next few years. Secondly we are LOADED with offensive players.

In reality, I would poop myself it ever happened.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
Interesting. A couple of things make it possible, dispite the Peavy salary.

First of all, we have a ton of salary coming off of the books in the next few years. Secondly we are LOADED with offensive players.

In reality, I would poop myself it ever happened.

You said signing players this offseason was financial suicide for the White Sox. Now picking up Peavy makes a lot of financial sense? For some reason, I don't buy this rumor at all.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:48 PM)
You said signing players this offseason was financial suicide for the White Sox. Now picking up Peavy makes a lot of financial sense? For some reason, I don't buy this rumor at all.

We have thirty or fourty million coming off of the books, this signing would still lead to a decrease in total payroll year over year... Why is that so complex?

And please quote where I said that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:48 PM)

I guarantee if the Sox were to trade for Peavy, they're including a haul of players that would it make worthy of San Diego to pay for a portion of his salary.

I wouldn't be surprised if we "overpay" for him, if this rumor is true. Look at his contract -- no way we're going to pay over 18 million for a pitcher unless there's a good amount lobbed off of it.