"He's Next"

Marty34

Guillen's terse response to a question about Fields. Meaning he's about ready to join Lillibridge in Charlotte. More than anything, I think Fields was messed up by not making the team out of spring training last year. In hindsight, Williams probably should have dealt Crede after the '07 season. Did they sacrifice Fields career to win the division last year?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 20, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
Guillen's terse response to a question about Fields. Meaning he's about ready to join Lillibridge in Charlotte. More than anything, I think Fields was messed up by not making the team out of spring training last year. In hindsight, Williams probably should have dealt Crede after the '07 season. Did they sacrifice Fields career to win the division last year?

I dont think the Sox win the division last year with Fields at 3rd to start the year

Josh was pretty banged up last year as well. I hadn't heard that comment but I'm glad Ozzie isn't afraid to send the message to Josh. Right now Josh is a bad baseball player. He's playing poor defensively and even worse offensively and has really no chance at the plate.

A small microcosym of Fields could have been seen last night in one at bat against Baker where he saw two hanging curves and a mediocre fastball and struck out easily. It was downright atrocious and if Fields had no chance hitting those pitches, he's really got no business being in the bigs at this point in time.

I would further say that the Sox made a big mistake in both Fields and Anderson's development in the sense that they had identified flaws in there swings at the lower levels that would impact there ability to play in the majors and ignored those flaws until they got to the show, where they felt they would than implement the minor changes as the players would be more responsive to it.

It wasn't the right way to handle it and I'm glad, based upon things I've heard and read that it seems as if the organization has changed that philosphy to at least an extent and is really working on teaching and developing these guys at a minor league level so they are actually ready to succeed and make an impact more quickly at the big league level.

Stolen from Tommy's post, but here's the context of how things were said:

Pregame show:

Ozzie says if Fields continues to struggle, he is "next" to be benched.

Kenny says: Players need to play to win, don't care about stats, Fields needs to go back to the things he was doing in ST, and at the beginning of the season. At the end Kenny gets frustrated says it's to early to be benching him and it's to early to be sitting here explaining all this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
Not unless somehow someone could have put your hands on Josh's legs and said "They are healed."

I didnt know the timetable on his knee injury, so i didnt want to use that as part of my reasoning. I know that Josh slid hard into second base in a game early last year and jammed his knee, and really wasnt very good afterwards until he finally went under the knife.

Fields sucked last year. Crede helped the Sox win some games. Fields is at a crossroads IMO. He has to pick it up. I really think his White Sox career for all intents and purposes is OVA if he gets sent down again, unless its a real short trip. I know Jerry Owens came back from the dead this year for one last fling, but there were extenuating circumstances.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)
Josh was pretty banged up last year as well. I hadn't heard that comment but I'm glad Ozzie isn't afraid to send the message to Josh. Right now Josh is a bad baseball player. He's playing poor defensively and even worse offensively and has really no chance at the plate.

A small microcosym of Fields could have been seen last night in one at bat against Baker where he saw two hanging curves and a mediocre fastball and struck out easily. It was downright atrocious and if Fields had no chance hitting those pitches, he's really got no business being in the bigs at this point in time.

I would further say that the Sox made a big mistake in both Fields and Anderson's development in the sense that they had identified flaws in there swings at the lower levels that would impact there ability to play in the majors and ignored those flaws until they got to the show, where they felt they would than implement the minor changes as the players would be more responsive to it.

It wasn't the right way to handle it and I'm glad, based upon things I've heard and read that it seems as if the organization has changed that philosphy to at least an extent and is really working on teaching and developing these guys at a minor league level so they are actually ready to succeed and make an impact more quickly at the big league level.

So you really think they should have deconstructed the swings of Crede, Borchard, Anderson and Fields right away, before they were ever even allowed to fail (which they didn't) at the minor league level?

Harrelson keeps on going on and on about how the White Sox USED to do this, but now they're encouraging the players to start off with what got them drafted and then to look at changing things when the player was more open, when there was a sign of failure or struggle for the first time in the player's career since high school or college.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:04 AM)
Fields sucked last year. Crede helped the Sox win some games. Fields is at a crossroads IMO. He has to pick it up. I really think his White Sox career for all intents and purposes is OVA if he gets sent down again, unless its a real short trip. I know Jerry Owens came back from the dead this year for one last fling, but there were extenuating circumstances.

I am going to have to agree with most, but not all here from Dick. I don't remember that Crede got cut much slack concerning his back injury so why are we making excuses for Fields and his knee. Bottom line is he has one half or 2/3rds of a good season in 2007 HR wise, but his defense has not been real good and possibly he is showing that HR's is all he is trying to hit rather than take a good approach to the plate since he was touted for his 23 dingers. If in fact his knee is the problem he needs to come forward and tell Ozzie and then do what the team says to do. Sad fact is it doesn't appear Vicedo is ready to take over, or we have other options.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 20, 2009 -> 08:15 PM)
I am going to have to agree with most, but not all here from Dick. I don't remember that Crede got cut much slack concerning his back injury so why are we making excuses for Fields and his knee. Bottom line is he has one half or 2/3rds of a good season in 2007 HR wise, but his defense has not been real good and possibly he is showing that HR's is all he is trying to hit rather than take a good approach to the plate since he was touted for his 23 dingers. If in fact his knee is the problem he needs to come forward and tell Ozzie and then do what the team says to do. Sad fact is it doesn't appear Vicedo is ready to take over, or we have other options.

You say this like crede hurt his back one time then it was all good after that but we kicked him to the curb impatiently.

I think Fields was messed up by not making the team out of spring training last year. In hindsight, Williams probably should have dealt Crede after the '07 season. Did they sacrifice Fields career to win the division last year?

If that's true, that doesn't say mucha bout Fields. You earn your way onto the field. When you get the opportunity you make the most of it. If Fields is that fragile, f*** him. He can rot in the minors some more.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:13 AM)
If that's true, that doesn't say mucha bout Fields. You earn your way onto the field. When you get the opportunity you make the most of it. If Fields is that fragile, f*** him. He can rot in the minors some more.

You mean Fields, the same person that said he considered retiring after his rookie year?

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ May 20, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
Is Josh Fields the worst starting 3b in the majors?

Garrett Atkins and Adrian Beltre have been pretty awful (Beltre still gives you great D). But when you factor in defense, I can't think of a worse all-around 3rd baseman than Josh at the moment. I swear I've f***in' had it with White Sox prospects. I'm not getting excited about any of our current "studs" at BHAM until I see them actually prove to be something other than inept at the ML level.

he's a young player in a slump. I think he needs alot more time bfore any real judgements can be made on him. He's been jacked around in the lineup and that can't help. Some people still think Brian Anderson is going to/can hit and he's had about 3 years to show he can't. Fields will get it going again. Going 2 for 30, or whatver he has, is going to kill anyones numbers this early in the season. I say he ends up hitting about .255, 21 HR, 75 Rbi. That's not too bad for his first full year.

It's pretty clear that Fields can't keep hitting the way he is and start for the sox. The question then becomes "who's next to play 3b"?

Betemit's Uribe without the power or glove. Beckham's a long shot at best. CJ Retherford probably isn't ready either. Why not take a flyer on Mark DeRosa, who reportedly is available for "major league ready pitching"? I read this as a bullpen arm. If it takes Lance Broadway and the $4 mill left on DeRosa's contract for 2009, would the sox do it? DeRosa also can play 2b, 1b, and has even played the OF. His bat and OBP has been pretty decent over the years.

QUOTE (beck72 @ May 24, 2009 -> 07:53 AM)
It's pretty clear that Fields can't keep hitting the way he is and start for the sox. The question then becomes "who's next to play 3b"?

Betemit's Uribe without the power or glove. Beckham's a long shot at best. CJ Retherford probably isn't ready either. Why not take a flyer on Mark DeRosa, who reportedly is available for "major league ready pitching"? I read this as a bullpen arm. If it takes Lance Broadway and the $4 mill left on DeRosa's contract for 2009, would the sox do it? DeRosa also can play 2b, 1b, and has even played the OF. His bat and OBP has been pretty decent over the years.

Last time I popped off about Fields' ineptness he came through, so I will do it again. 1 extra base hit in his last 88 AB. 0 in his last 47. As far as DeRosa, I can't see the Sox and Cleveland making a trade. I think the next guy you see at 3rd is Beckham.

QUOTE (beck72 @ May 24, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)

If you think all it would take is Lance Broadway to get the Indians to trade Mark Derosa to one of their top rivals, you are sadly mistaken.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 24, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
If you think all it would take is Lance Broadway to get the Indians to trade Mark Derosa to one of their top rivals, you are sadly mistaken.

Trading within the division is less of a factor in this economy. Teams are more interested in cutting payroll. The Indians won't jack up the price because it's the White sox. If the Indians start dealing, it'll likely mean they are writing off 2009.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 24, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
Last time I popped off about Fields' ineptness he came through, so I will do it again. 1 extra base hit in his last 88 AB. 0 in his last 47. As far as DeRosa, I can't see the Sox and Cleveland making a trade. I think the next guy you see at 3rd is Beckham.

Beckham likely now could outproduce Fields. I just don't know if rushing a potential cornerstone of the future is worth the short term fix at 3b. Getting a one year stopgap like DeRosa [who could also play 2b, take some pressure of Getz] may be better for the both the sox in the short term [a guy who could get on base for 2009 ahead of the big boppers, keeping Getz down in the order] and long term [letting Beckham progress slowly, on his timetable rather than the sox].

QUOTE (beck72 @ May 24, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
Beckham likely now could outproduce Fields. I just don't know if rushing a potential cornerstone of the future is worth the short term fix at 3b. Getting a one year stopgap like DeRosa [who could also play 2b, take some pressure of Getz] may be better for the both the sox in the short term [a guy who could get on base for 2009 ahead of the big boppers, keeping Getz down in the order] and long term [letting Beckham progress slowly, on his timetable rather than the sox].

For Cleveland to give DeRosa to the Sox, and I agree he would be a good fit, they would probably have to give up someone like Poreda. KW's price and some NL West GM's price for him is very different.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 24, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
For Cleveland to give DeRosa to the Sox, and I agree he would be a good fit, they would probably have to give up someone like Poreda. KW's price and some NL West GM's price for him is very different.

It really depends on when DeRosa is traded. If the Indians have legitmately given up on this season, trading a guy who is a FA this offseason to a division rival is pretty meaningless. However, some articles suggest the Indians want pitching that could help them win this season, meaning they probably won't trade him inside a division they still have hopes of winning.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 24, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)

I certainly wouldn't want to give up much for DeRosa. But if the price was doable, why not.

I'm just having a hard time seeing who'd be at 3b for the rest of 2009, who could help fix the sox problems with avg. and OBP besides Beckham--who IIRC, hadn't played 3b before recently. As much as I like Gordon, playing 3b would be tough for him let alone trying to adjust to major league pitching.

This is much more than some slump. Fields simply is not a good ball player. He doesn't have natural instincts or baseball know how that you look for. He is clueless at bat, and mediocre at best on D.

He's got the tools and great athletic ability. But that doesn't help a thing if you just aren't a true ball player.